U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 06:10 PM

929 posts, read 2,340,421 times

Advertisements

There is such a very simple solution to this problem Dave. If it's truly that bad for you, go back to Texas. If I hadn't said it, someone else would have.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:20 PM

511 posts, read 635,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Island View Post
There is such a very simple solution to this problem Dave. If it's truly that bad for you, go back to Texas. If I hadn't said it, someone else would have.
Not that simple. I need a good job first b4 moving back to Texas. People should know what they are getting into when they move here.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:10 PM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Yea, but do they require the original document? What is wrong with a dang copy? What you are calling a copy is not a certified copy..

Another thing about Arkansas, so many smokers! Everywhere I look, people are puffing away. And they were proud on the news today that only one hospital in the state was rated in the top 270 hospitals in the nation lol
I think it is time for you to grow up and try to make the best out of what you think is a bad situation: Smokers, I have found less smokers in AR than in Texas or NM. that is one reason I quit altogether, it just wasn't worth it. Of course they require the original, but what they are saying is a copy of that, of course not the original. You can't get a passport without a certified copy of your birth certificate, nor can you cruise or fly out of the country.

We did not have to have a birth certificate when we got our licenses a few months ago. We had to show our old ones DL and proof of address..I don't know why you are having this problem, but good for AR, this way they can crack down on illegals getting them.

You are doing nothing more than making yourself unhappy. I moved many time when I was younger, both in college and right out of college, some moves were not the best but I did all I could to see the bright side and do not regret anyplace I lived because I learned something each time.

Nita

Old 01-27-2009, 10:04 PM

170 posts, read 283,481 times
I suggest that you do your research prior to moving to a new location. Seems that would solve a lot of your frustration.

My experience of moving to Arkansas was a great one. I appreciated the detailed work of the local people. It certainly made me feel like I was surrounded by safer people.

It made me feel good when I heard they do a background check on new people. I loved it when I read about a new guy coming in and seems he wound up in jail for owing a huge amount of back child support where he moved from. Sorta made up for my ex running off to Texas a few years back and being shielded by that great republic! My kids turned out to be great, successful kids in spite of his absence.

Sometimes, we experience blessings and don't even know or realize it at the time. I LOVE Arkansas and the people there! But, as I said, absence of some people can be good for others.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:53 PM

157 posts, read 447,347 times
Too many darkies; too many taxes, eh txdave? I'm waiting for your next thread on weather.

I kid.

UAMS is one of the top 50 or so hospitals in the nation, which is pretty good considering that we're one of the smallest states and our biggest city has 180,000 folks.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:45 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,544,193 times
txdave --

There are way too many smokers in Arkansas. Guess what, though? There are way too many smokers in Texas, too. At least here in Arkansas, you can go out to a restaurant--any restaurant--and not have to inhale some addict's fumes. Can you say the same about Texas?

Nope.

On another note -- I hope you never come across a black person smoking at the tax collector's office. That would be a triple nightmare for you.

Life's too short. Go to a place that makes you happy.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:00 AM

4,748 posts, read 6,144,281 times
Aw, Dave, I'm sorry you're having a rough time of it. I don't know about the drivers' licenses and taxes and all that, since I don't live in AR, but I figure you're just tired and discouraged right now and after a good night's sleep and getting a few more of your bugs worked out, you'll be fine. Have you made any friends? Do you like your job?

I find it hard to believe they need your original birth certificate to give you your license....maybe she meant a certified copy? Ask somebody at work or something.

Btw, about the out-of-state sales tax reporting.....I thought that was the law in every state. In LA, when you fill out your state income tax form, you have to report everything you bought by catalog or online or whatever from another state (if you didn't pay sales tax on it....if you paid sales tax on that CD in Texas, you don't report it....at least that's the way it is here, and maybe there, too, but you've just misunderstood? You don't have to report stuff you went to another state and bought in person at a store and paid sales tax on.) and add it in. It's called the "consumer use tax" or something like that. I've found that many, many people that I know have not even noticed it on their tax form, though, and don't know a thing about it. I just keep all the emails from when I order something in a special file on my computer and add it all up when I do my state taxes. These days, when you buy something big, like a car, in another state, they charge you your state's sales tax rate and, I assume, send the money to your state. You can't slip over the border of another state and buy a car just to avoid paying sales tax like people used to do.

As soon as the weather gets better, do yourself a favor and drive over to Petit Jean or Mt. Nebo one Saturday afternoon, and take a hike. It will give you just a little taste of what Arkansas has to offer. If you don't like the outdoors....well, you probably would be better off back in Texas, where things are familiar and, I'm assuming, you would be closer to family.

One thing I've found when I'm feeling sorry for myself over something.....I can always find someone else worse off than I am. Someone dying of cancer (as a young man in my church is right now...he and his wife have only been married a couple of years, and he will leave behind a small daughter whom he adopted after he and his wife married....her child....he absolutely adores her, and she, him), or going through a terrible divorce, or declaring bankruptcy, or losing a child.....all these things are infinitely worse than anything I've ever gone through, even on my worst day.

Hope you're feeling better by now.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:33 PM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Aw, Dave, I'm sorry you're having a rough time of it. I don't know about the drivers' licenses and taxes and all that, since I don't live in AR, but I figure you're just tired and discouraged right now and after a good night's sleep and getting a few more of your bugs worked out, you'll be fine. Have you made any friends? Do you like your job?

I find it hard to believe they need your original birth certificate to give you your license....maybe she meant a certified copy? Ask somebody at work or something.

Btw, about the out-of-state sales tax reporting.....I thought that was the law in every state. In LA, when you fill out your state income tax form, you have to report everything you bought by catalog or online or whatever from another state (if you didn't pay sales tax on it....if you paid sales tax on that CD in Texas, you don't report it....at least that's the way it is here, and maybe there, too, but you've just misunderstood? You don't have to report stuff you went to another state and bought in person at a store and paid sales tax on.) and add it in. It's called the "consumer use tax" or something like that. I've found that many, many people that I know have not even noticed it on their tax form, though, and don't know a thing about it. I just keep all the emails from when I order something in a special file on my computer and add it all up when I do my state taxes. These days, when you buy something big, like a car, in another state, they charge you your state's sales tax rate and, I assume, send the money to your state. You can't slip over the border of another state and buy a car just to avoid paying sales tax like people used to do.

As soon as the weather gets better, do yourself a favor and drive over to Petit Jean or Mt. Nebo one Saturday afternoon, and take a hike. It will give you just a little taste of what Arkansas has to offer. If you don't like the outdoors....well, you probably would be better off back in Texas, where things are familiar and, I'm assuming, you would be closer to family.

One thing I've found when I'm feeling sorry for myself over something.....I can always find someone else worse off than I am. Someone dying of cancer (as a young man in my church is right now...he and his wife have only been married a couple of years, and he will leave behind a small daughter whom he adopted after he and his wife married....her child....he absolutely adores her, and she, him), or going through a terrible divorce, or declaring bankruptcy, or losing a child.....all these things are infinitely worse than anything I've ever gone through, even on my worst day. great response, I wish I was as sympathetic as you are..

Nita
Hope you're feeling better by now.
Great response, I wish I was as understanding and sympathetic as you...

Nita

Old 01-29-2009, 05:04 PM

350 posts, read 1,124,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasder View Post
A few counter points, as one that moved from Arkansas to Texas

1). Showing up first time to update drivers license and seeing line out the building, into parking lot. It reminded me of a tailgate party at a football game. People were sitting outside, on their cars/trucks, changing diapers, eating/drinking, hanging out ... waiting for "next person please".

2). Getting to end of line first time, and finding out that I had to have my car smog inspected. My fault, but totally wasted trip dealing, after hour and half of standing in line.

3). After getting all the prep (Safety inspection, Smog check, Insurance papers, license information) and making to head of line, I found out that Texas only does the paper work for a transfer. They take your old, give you a paper (no photo), and sent you a new one in the mail which took almost a month. Note: Arkansas system creates the license in front of you, hands it to you, and offers to have a nice day. I never knew how dependent our system is on photo ID's.

Thankfully, keeping Texas DL is not as much of a struggle, as you can do most things online. But the transfer was painful ...

If you actually move to Texas, it's ten times worse than moving to Arkansas. No question about it. When I moved to Dallas there was a 3 hour wait at the NE Dallas driver's license dept after you went through the initial check to ensure you had the correct materials. I left and came back 2 hours later and still waited an hour.

Moved back to LR and it took 15 min.

Online renewal is great, but you can do that in either state. Texas had it first.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:38 PM

106 posts, read 406,369 times
Quote:
Online renewal is great, but you can do that in either state. Texas had it first.
That's why I was so surprised at how long it took to go through process in Texas. I knew we could do renewal's online, but was told that moving into the state, we had to go to one of the License offices.

Since then, we have always made it a point to renew as soon as possible, and get the longest license period available. To be honest, getting my passport was a breeze, compared to getting transfer license.

Every state has its little hiccups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or