U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 07:59 AM

3,203 posts, read 3,256,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
I'm just ready to get back to Texas where life was lot more simpler and cheaper!
God Bless East Texas!!!

Old 02-04-2009, 07:51 PM

253 posts, read 688,713 times
Default due to new anti terrioism laws

Quote:
I gotta say, the negatives sure are outweighing the positives, and I am regretting my decision to move here from Texas.

Today was really the capper. I tried to get my driver's license some time ago, and they told me I had to bring a copy of my birth certificate. ARe you kidding me? Thankfully, my mom just happen to find a copy and sent it to me. I went in today hoping to finally get this taken care of. The lady rudely tells me, that's a copy sir, we need the original. How in the world can I get the original? That's not our problem, sir.

So basically they expect me to make a trip to my birthplace in Texas to get this one freaking document. Why isn't a driver's license and SS# card good enough?

Oh yea, prepare to pay property tax just for owning a car. Thanks Arkansas. You just took away the main benefit of renting a house vs owning.

I really hate the laws here. According to the website, if I buy an item in Texas, I have to report it for sales tax here, even something small like a cd. Are the law makers just nuts here? I am being taxed so much that my salary of 37K ends up giving me a take home of about 500 a week, the same amount I made in Texas at 30K a year. Why is this a poor state when they just rape people on taxes? State income tax plus high sales tax. Pretty sad when a single guy with no kids can barely make it on 37K here.

The electric company is pretty ridiculous too. I was only two days past the due date on my bills, and they already sent me a shut off notice.

The highway systems are also a mess especially in Bryant and Little Rock. They can not accomadate a growing population. And despite living near a metro area, I only have on option for high speed internet, and it has gone out 3 times already.

I'm just ready to get back to Texas where life was lot more simpler and cheaper!
just to clear up your drivers license issue, it is a new law that went into effect couple years ago, its in every state now, if you let your current DL expire or move to another state, you must show BC among SS, etc. but you do not need to travel back to your home state to obtain copy of BC, you just go online, contact local office that handles birth records for your place of birth, pay a few dollars(you pay rather you get in person or have it mailed) and they issue a certified copy. it is a copy, but its certified, meaning it has a raised stamp on it, which is what the new law requires.
is it stupid??? kinda, ive delt with it twice now and at first was a pain, but i see the reasons i reckon, it keeps terriorist and illigals from forging documents and such. they didnt advertise this new law well enough in my opinion, because i see so many unprepared when they move or their DL expires. ps....if you move in-state...as long as you dont let it expire, you dont have to show BC again, just if you move to another state or let it expire. please dont blame AR for this little bump in the road, its every state now.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:26 PM

30 posts, read 80,473 times
Just think of the brighter side of having to show a b-certificate. Less illegals getting a drivers license, therefore getting local jobs, therefore getting free healthcare at our expense, therefore flooding our school system with thier multiple offspring.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:22 AM

18 posts, read 39,947 times
If you think that Arkansas is bad, try moving to Connecticut. The property taxes there are about 6x the property taxes here, and there is a sales tax and state income tax.

Visit the motor vehicle department there. There are special lines for everything, and heaven help you if you get in the wrong line. They will rudely tell you to get to the back of the "correct" one.

You need to be a little more flexible. There is more than one way to do things, and you might just learn something if you stop to see how other people do things. Different doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Relax.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:24 AM

69,546 posts, read 79,869,617 times
hopefully because he hasn't come back to the boards all he needed to do was vent. When he started reading what others had to say about some states he realized he is just home sick and frustrated. Let's hope he adjusts and learns to enjoy the good things about Ar or he has a chance to move back to Texas.

Nita

Old 02-05-2009, 06:59 AM

12 posts, read 29,685 times
What I dont get is you can figure out how to complain about arkansas online but you can't figure out you can get your birth certificate online. And what in the world does paying personal property taxes on a car have to do with owning a home. they are two separate things.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:26 PM

10 posts, read 59,657 times
Quote:
The lady rudely tells me, that's a copy sir, we need the original. How in the world can I get the original? That's not our problem, sir.
You can order certified copies of birth certificates online. Run a Google search.

I needed certified copies for passports, and the government won't accept originals. I got mine (Alabama), my wife's (Missouri) and our daughter's (Mississippi) delivered in about a week. You can also get them sent overnight delivery if you need them right away.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:14 PM

3,161 posts, read 3,727,342 times
OP

ite going to get worse before it gets better ;-)

I moved from Ar back home to TX in '89. everytime I go to AR to visit family, i cant wait to leave... A very depressing state.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:36 PM

69,546 posts, read 79,869,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
OP

ite going to get worse before it gets better ;-)

I moved from Ar back home to TX in '89. everytime I go to AR to visit family, i cant wait to leave... A very depressing state.
now that is really encouraging for someone who may have to live somewhere they would rather not. You give no reason why you feel that way or where you visit in AR? If you notice the OP hasn't been back for weeks.

Nita

Old 02-07-2009, 11:11 PM

802 posts, read 2,184,259 times
Outside of metropolitan areas Texas isn't that much different than Arkansas. There are definitely more blowhards down there though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or