U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 09:58 AM

511 posts, read 304,907 times
Default Man Arkansas Sucks so Much!

I gotta say, the negatives sure are outweighing the positives, and I am regretting my decision to move here from Texas.

Today was really the capper. I tried to get my driver's license some time ago, and they told me I had to bring a copy of my birth certificate. ARe you kidding me? Thankfully, my mom just happen to find a copy and sent it to me. I went in today hoping to finally get this taken care of. The lady rudely tells me, that's a copy sir, we need the original. How in the world can I get the original? That's not our problem, sir.

So basically they expect me to make a trip to my birthplace in Texas to get this one freaking document. Why isn't a driver's license and SS# card good enough?

Oh yea, prepare to pay property tax just for owning a car. Thanks Arkansas. You just took away the main benefit of renting a house vs owning.

I really hate the laws here. According to the website, if I buy an item in Texas, I have to report it for sales tax here, even something small like a cd. Are the law makers just nuts here? I am being taxed so much that my salary of 37K ends up giving me a take home of about 500 a week, the same amount I made in Texas at 30K a year. Why is this a poor state when they just rape people on taxes? State income tax plus high sales tax. Pretty sad when a single guy with no kids can barely make it on 37K here.

The electric company is pretty ridiculous too. I was only two days past the due date on my bills, and they already sent me a shut off notice.

The highway systems are also a mess especially in Bryant and Little Rock. They can not accomadate a growing population. And despite living near a metro area, I only have on option for high speed internet, and it has gone out 3 times already.

I'm just ready to get back to Texas where life was lot more simpler and cheaper!

Old 01-27-2009, 10:08 AM

8,257 posts, read 11,004,201 times
Say hello to Tony Romo for me when ya get back!! Im sure hes enjoying his early vacation!

Old 01-27-2009, 10:36 AM

985 posts, read 1,706,841 times
Umm, just out of curiosity... Why did you not take your birth certificate with you? Most people I know take all their important documents with them when they move. And I completely agree with you, Arkansas has weird laws and even weirder people. Some days you just have to laugh at the weirdness to keep yourself sane.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:39 AM

1,633 posts, read 2,979,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
I'm just ready to get back to Texas where life was lot more simpler and cheaper!
I just checked.....

Texas is still there.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:47 AM

9,807 posts, read 5,994,056 times
txdave35------I presume you were renting in Texas or living in a traler park.

If you got a real estate tax bill due to home ownership in Texas, you would have experienced high taxes

Old 01-27-2009, 10:52 AM

86 posts, read 156,820 times
I moved from Texas this last year after being in Texas and family for 5 generations at least. I do like Arkansas so far but in defense of txdave35 it is really very strange.
I told my honey the terroristbadpeople will not have a chance in AR. I seriously thought they were kidding me when they asked for our marriage certificate. I dug out our torn in half and taped back one and dutifully took it up there after a bit of searching. So funny.
I do like the not getting car inspected every year though. I have always been pretty organized especially with Texas hurricane runs every year and knew where my papers were but I can imagine it is a hardship for those that have no idea of such a thing.
Having to keep my car papers in my car was not to my liking either as I always have carried them in my purse.
Finally figured out I can turn right on red though. That helped.
Ask me again in a few months though when I have to pay state income tax for first time. Have no clue on that one.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Status: "Give just a little of yourself to others." (set 10 days ago)

48,906 posts, read 40,259,380 times
Txdave sounds like someone that was on here a few months ago. I am just curious..

As for having to have a certified copy of your birth certificate, yes, a hospital one isn't a legal document. No, Dave, you do not have to go back to Texas, you just call or email them, pay a small fee and you will get a legal copy of your birth certificate.

Yes, you do have to pay personal property taxes on your car, but they are not very high. as for buying something like a CD in another state and paying sales tax here, Bull!!!! You don't pay sales tax on something you don't buy in that state. You are talking about personal property tax which is different and nobody reports buying a CD player.

Obviously you have never owned a home, certainly as someone said, not in Texas anyway. If you had you would know what taxes really are. It doesn't make any difference where you live, the government has to run and needs money to do so. If it isn't sales tax it is property tax, or income tax.

We lived in Texas, had a very simply but comfortable home which we sold 8 years ago for $125,000.00. Our home owners insurance was $1300 per year and our taxes just over $2400, remember, that was 8 years ago. Today, we live in a much nicer home, custom built, larger lot, newer and our property taxes are $750.00 per year with insurance of about $400.00.

As for your utility bill and being late,well if you are a new customer I can understand getting a notice; but being only 2 days late, that is pushing it a bit. I am sure you paid it quickly..
Nita

Old 01-27-2009, 11:26 AM

9,000 posts, read 8,695,793 times
Well I doubt we Arkansans are holding you in shackles...........

I bet once you give it more time, Arkansas will grow on you.
Don't judge the whole state based upon these few things.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:46 AM

2,372 posts, read 5,070,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Txdave sounds like someone that was on here a few months ago. I am just curious..
Yes, txdave was on here a few weeks or so ago when he first got to Little Rock and was expressing his surprise at the ethnic diversity. He apparently wasn't used to seeing a sizable population of African Americans which pretty much tells us, likely as not, he came from a more rural part of TX which would of course have a lower COL. From the get go, he sounded homesick and dare I say, a bit scared.

Just my conclusions and opinions from the posts as I recall them....

Last edited by Stormcrow73; 01-27-2009 at 11:57 AM..

Old 01-27-2009, 11:56 AM

8 posts, read 28,938 times
Well it is not just Arkansas that needs a Birth Certificate you need that in ANY state you go to get your License in. Be glad you didnt go to NJ because you would need a Birth Certificate plus a few other forms of ID as well as mail that was in your name at the address you say you live at. As for property taxes here is MUCH MUCH MUCH nicer. The taxes on my home back in NJ were $13,800 a year and that was for a 4BR house on 1 acre. Right now we are renting until I find something that we will want to live in for the next 20 years but I know we have it so much better here than back in NJ. My wife is from Mountain Home and when she came to NJ to be with me she almost died at how expensive it was and now after living here for 3 months I cant understand why I didnt come out here much sooner. When we went to get our DL's and tags for the car it took all of 20 minutes because we were used to having all kinds of ID ready the woman at the counter said "well arent yall ready for anything" lol I then told her how it was in NJ and she just chuckled and said welcome to Arkansas...............oh and by the way I LOVE IT HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! even with this darn Ice Storm lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas