Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 08:58 PM

807 posts, read 2,515,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKS64 View Post
Thank you so much, Fasder! That explains it! I had a sneaking suspicion that it might have something to do with the perception that it is the "old" part of town, and many people, especially the younger set, always seem to want to live in the trendy area. Whichever area is not trendy, then, gets labeled as undesirable. I might visit again this year and take a better look. My wife and I are suckers for stylish, old homes. We don't care much for modern shoeboxes built out of chipboard and drywall. Thanks again for such a thorough explanation!
Fasder pretty much summed up Hot Springs! Great post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 08:44 AM

3 posts, read 10,385 times
ive lived hot springs for over 15 years and it is a pretty place, love the lakes and the rivers and downtown is wonderful!!! We have great schools...lakeside is the best than lake hamilton....and we have some magnent schools as well....other than that dont put your kids in ANY other school.... as far as jobs though there isnt that many....it does depend on your occupation but still this is a retire town and myself am finding a hard time finding a good paying job here....me and my husband are looking to move to florida here in the next 6 months....but if your looking at living here it isnt a bad place really its not i will miss it but me personally am just ready to move on....good luck to you

Old 09-09-2009, 08:46 AM

3 posts, read 10,385 times
you will need to switch....at&t or verizon...my go is verizon but either one

Old 10-05-2009, 02:59 PM

776 posts, read 1,275,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2BE View Post
I'm currently living in Dallas... And going to be opening a small business in the next year. I recently visited Northwest Arkansas, Fayettevile, Bentonville, and Rogers. I really liked it, but just recently I discovered Hot Springs on the internet and it looks beautiful and like a really nice place to live. But my only question is... Is Hot Springs solely a tourist destination or is it a good place to raise a family and open a small business?
Did you ever decide on where to move your practice? Hot Springs is a tremendous place, both as a tourist destination AND a good place to raise a family.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:29 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
I'm moving to Hot Springs at the end of the month and I will definitely be looking for a chiropractor.

And I'm definitely planning to raise my family there.

Last edited by CESpeed; 10-09-2009 at 12:00 PM..

Old 10-10-2009, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,002 times
Default Cell Phone Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpayne View Post
Hi,

I, too, will be moving to HS as soon as my house sells. Hopefully before the new school year. I currently have t-mobil as my cell phone carrier. I want to upgrade my cell phone, but with the idea of moving I don't want to pay for all the bells and whistles of a phone that will have no service when I get down there. I hear alot of ATT service, but are you aware of t-mobil. Any other inside info you can give me, any better areas of HS than others. I am a mother with 2 young boys. I was thinking I would probably rent for awhile so I could get a feel for the place so as to not make a wrong decision. I will also be starting a new career in Cadd as a drafter so employment will be crucial as well. If at all possible I would not live to travel to LR for employment but to stay in the town, either working for the city, forest, or constructions companies. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

My son just moved to Central Arkansas in July, he does a lot of traveling and hiking on week-ends and goes to Hot Springs every week. My son has t-mobil and it works quite well. No matter what service you get there will be dead zones because of the mountains. Verizon is the dominant service in Arkansas. Good Luck !! I was once a cad drafter, used autocad and other programs.

ged86

Old 10-11-2009, 08:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged86 View Post
My son just moved to Central Arkansas in July, he does a lot of traveling and hiking on week-ends and goes to Hot Springs every week. My son has t-mobil and it works quite well. No matter what service you get there will be dead zones because of the mountains. Verizon is the dominant service in Arkansas. Good Luck !! I was once a cad drafter, used autocad and other programs.

ged86
you know everyone says that about Verizon, but we had the opposite experience. They actaully let us out of out contract because of the dead zone problems. Of course the customer service people we spoke with did tell us the last transmitter they have in AR is not that close to Bella Vista. I think that was the jist of it. Anyway we first complained and were pretty much told oh well, live with it. After about 6 more months and it became apparent we hardly used our phone they agreed to let us out of our constract. We had about 6 months to go. We now have AT&T, absolutely no problems or rarely do we have them I should say.

Nita

Old 10-14-2009, 07:19 AM

54 posts, read 71,803 times
Hot Springs has a lot to offer and a lot of potential. Most of the tourism comes from Texas and that state is doing well so tourism has increased 9% year over year when every thing else is sagging. I don't know if that is sustainable but non the less. Home sales are not doing well though. It is not because of the area but many of the move ins come from California and other places that homes are not selling, so it does have an effect here. I have a home for sale that was appraised at over 200k and we have it for 190 and will have to drop it in the spring if no sale by then. Homes one the lake are dropping also. If you come to Hot Springs it does not have the job base of places like Little Rock, it is tourist based and as such you will not find a ton of jobs that pay well. For a place to retire it is hard to beat, low taxes, crime is not bad, and I did the same thing that the other poster did and loved the Prospect area and was told by an agent that it was a high crime area. I do not know of a place even spring street that I would avoid driving down any time of the day or night. Now walking at 3 am by myself on some streets I would not do, but that is with almost any city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas