U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-05-2009, 06:03 AM
 
Location: Whiteville Tennessee
8,262 posts, read 16,332,567 times
Reputation: 10037

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Not at all. That's fairly common knowledge and has been discussed ad nauseum here.

And actually, if I feel your intent is to stir trouble (and I do) then as the moderator of the AR forum I am compelled to comment on this thread and give any level of infraction warranted by your behavior. By reading your other posts in the Kansas forum you are an obvious agitator and feel some need to wage a vendetta againt people in your locale. I question your intent and integrity. You post these pictures here and state wrongly the location they depict, demonstrating you have NO knowledge of this area. Your OP is seemingly devoid of characterization but also lacks disclaimers. Your intent was obvious, paint an entire region you do not like in a very specific color. I do not believe in sugar coating history either which is why I have posted NUMEROUS times on the history of Harrison, which I actually know. I do my best to give the bad stuff right along with the good. How can you even pretend to be objective and tell us the story of these pictures (the good and the bad) if you yourself don't even know where they were taken? How many counter protestors were there if any? How many arrests were there if any? Who are these people? Are any of them locally important? A picture may tell a thousand words but without the set and setting they may tell a story that is counterproductive to building a truly equitable society.

You state that you do not collect this type of thing but yet you see fit to peddle it and profit from hate. Do you think you are doing some public good here? The best treatment that "memorabilia" should have gotten was a good burning.
His intent, I think is to sell photos! Just ban him Stormcrow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2009, 06:19 AM
 
Location: wichita
271 posts, read 202,914 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Not at all. That's fairly common knowledge and has been discussed ad nauseum here.

And actually, if I feel your intent is to stir trouble (and I do) then as the moderator of the AR forum I am compelled to comment on this thread and give any level of infraction warranted by your behavior. By reading your other posts in the Kansas forum you are an obvious agitator and feel some need to wage a vendetta againt people in your locale. I question your intent and integrity. You post these pictures here and state wrongly the location they depict, demonstrating you have NO knowledge of this area. Your OP is seemingly devoid of characterization but also lacks disclaimers. Your intent was obvious, paint an entire region you do not like in a very specific color. I do not believe in sugar coating history either which is why I have posted NUMEROUS times on the history of Harrison, which I actually know. I do my best to give the bad stuff right along with the good. How can you even pretend to be objective and tell us the story of these pictures (the good and the bad) if you yourself don't even know where they were taken? How many counter protestors were there if any? How many arrests were there if any? Who are these people? Are any of them locally important? A picture may tell a thousand words but without the set and setting they may tell a story that is counterproductive to building a truly equitable society.

You state that you do not collect this type of thing but yet you see fit to peddle it and profit from hate. Do you think you are doing some public good here? The best treatment that "memorabilia" should have gotten was a good burning.

You make many assumptions. First I did assume it was in Harrison. When people hold up signs that say PO box Harrison Arkansas KKK I donít think that it was an assumption frivolously based. Another point, I never would destroy any item because it is based on hate. I collect ww2 collectables and the antique dealer said he could not put it out front. I know of a couple of collectors who have expanded their collecting to the American Nazi movement, and knew I could make a few $. I do not apologize for it. I saw in the book the link to cross burnings and on the back of the photo it said "cross burning in Harrison" When the people holding the sign that said KKK Harrison Arkansas I think it is a fair assumption to guess it was in Harrison or surrounding area. I do not recall car if it was in Harrison or not. I am sure they have had their share of rallyís and still do from people I know in the area. They are just not on the court house steps. They are between Harrison and Eureka Springs where the Confederate Battle flags fly like Tulips in Holland. You also create arguments based on straw man arguments. I never said there was no opposition to the rally or even commented on the rally. I said here are some photos from Harrison Arkansas. The only thing you can accuse me of is possibly making a wrong assumption of where the rally was held. Also you use the Ad Homonym attack, most likely for the purpose to distract from the photo you obviously are embarrassed of. By attacking the messenger instead of dealing with the message you distract form the information you do not want to be talked about. I suggest you lock this thread and let it die if that is your goal. You are keeping it alive by replying and attacking. If you truly do not want to keep talking about it quit posting. It ran almost to the 2 page and you brought it back up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2009, 01:23 PM
 
Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,121 posts, read 7,550,384 times
Reputation: 6217
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Arkadelphia,Arkansas
807 posts, read 2,229,277 times
Reputation: 319


Amen!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 11:06 AM
 
1 posts, read 7,796 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Just for people's edification, those picture were NOT taken in Harrison. There is no building in Harrison like that. That might be the addition to the Pulaski County Courthouse in Little Rock but I'm not sure. Also, a handful of white guys on the steps of some building does not represent an entire town.

I live in Louisiana and once up on a time the KKK was big here now you should see who is big here and it's not the KKK. I hope to relocate to Harrison and know I will like it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2010, 11:36 AM
 
1 posts, read 7,065 times
Reputation: 10
It's funny that all the forums are about racism. I lived down in Marshall, 40 miles south of harrison, and I can tell you this much. As long as you were not black, you were okay. They had no problem with mexicans or phillipinoes. If you were black, old timers had a problem and young idiots had a problem. A minister in our community adopted a black teenager and the guys at my school were outraged. I think it was more the fact that the girls were all over the black young man, lol. Something new and exciting....that and he had all his teeth and wasn't their cousins! haha! I'm just kidding, Arkansas and surrounding areas are a wonderful place to grow up and if I could afford to live there, I would! I think it's dumb that all these forums are about racism. If you are really THAT worried about racism, you are screwed because I have lived in three of the four largest cities in the U.S. and all three of them had as much if not more racism in them than Arkansas.

Maybe these forums should have stuff about canoeing on the buffalo river, or trout fishing on the white river, checking out the caves at blanchard springs, riding a wave runner at Fairfield Bay, catching a show up in Branson, some of those things. Hell, even talk about hanging out at Tractor Supply (believe me, people do that and it's actually kinda fun, haha!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2010, 10:57 PM
 
3 posts, read 12,397 times
Reputation: 10
I just wanted to add...

The KKK is not in Harrison. Their PO Box is because, like all rural areas, most people get their PO Box in the nearest town where they run their errands. City people do not even think about this and immediately label Harrison as the hometown of the KKK. I'm sorry, but you've got that wrong. They don't do anything in Harrison. You can Tom Robb at Wal-Mart and guess what, he's just as normal as they come. I didn't recognize him until someone pointed him out to me and I've lived here for 13 years! They stay quiet and do their own thing in their own time on their own property which is several towns over from Harrison.

There are several blacks living in Harrison and they are not bothered. Sure, go to those small towns (like the guy from Marshall above... there's a prime example of one of "those towns") and blacks probably don't want to be there once the sun goes down. However, in Harrison, it's not like that at all! If it weren't for city folks squeezing in "KKK" everywhere Harrison is brought up, you'd never know of it. Why do they do that? Because of a stupid PO Box! Do you see how absurd that is?

Harrison is a great, classic small town. You'd be surprised. Close mindedness? Not really, that's mostly old folks. Harrison has its quarks like every other community in this country. Don't knock it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
694 posts, read 1,497,304 times
Reputation: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARmommy View Post
I just wanted to add...

The KKK is not in Harrison. Their PO Box is because, like all rural areas, most people get their PO Box in the nearest town where they run their errands. City people do not even think about this and immediately label Harrison as the hometown of the KKK. I'm sorry, but you've got that wrong. They don't do anything in Harrison. You can Tom Robb at Wal-Mart and guess what, he's just as normal as they come. I didn't recognize him until someone pointed him out to me and I've lived here for 13 years! They stay quiet and do their own thing in their own time on their own property which is several towns over from Harrison.

There are several blacks living in Harrison and they are not bothered. Sure, go to those small towns (like the guy from Marshall above... there's a prime example of one of "those towns") and blacks probably don't want to be there once the sun goes down. However, in Harrison, it's not like that at all! If it weren't for city folks squeezing in "KKK" everywhere Harrison is brought up, you'd never know of it. Why do they do that? Because of a stupid PO Box! Do you see how absurd that is?

Harrison is a great, classic small town. You'd be surprised. Close mindedness? Not really, that's mostly old folks. Harrison has its quarks like every other community in this country. Don't knock it.
I do agree that Harrison's reputation is mostly overblown, but I will disagree about how welcoming you claim Harrison is. The head of what's left of the "knights" is still in the Harrison area, but I believe you're right and that it's closer to the spot in the road called "Zinc, AR". I've included several recent sources though which do point out it's more than just a PO box in the area and that people do have to understand a segment of the population still exists in the area.
Independent Lens . BANISHED . Harrison, Arkansas | PBS
Underground Ozarks Blog - rush, arkansas and the ku klux klan - Read the comments and dates on this article before it turns into spam. It's concerning.
Ku Klux Klan -- Extremism in America -50th anniversary party for his group held in 2006 in Harrison.

At any rate, my point is not to bash Harrison or claim that everyone in the town is racist, I'm quite sure they're not. However, it is an attitude than anyone considering living in the town needs to know still remains in at least a segment of the population. The reason I'm so outspoken about this is I have a very good friend who stopped for gas on her way to Mountain Home from Fayetteville and when she pulled into an Exxon in Harrison (I won't specify which one) and went inside to pre-pay, she was told by the cashier, and I quote "We don't serve your kind here.". She didn't understand for a moment (she was college aged and you just don't think about or expect those things anymore), and asked "What?", to which his one-word response was "****ers". She is black of course, and left the store crying and luckily made it on to Yellville for gas. This was in 2008. So don't expect me to believe that it's all warm and fuzzy and welcoming, because unfortunately a small portion of your population is still out there trying to give your town a bad name, and unfortunately some of them succeed. I bear no ill will towards Harrison or 99% of your population (I drive through there frequently and my family used to own a business there years ago), but that 1% is still "brave" enough to be vocal, and vocal enough to cause concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2010, 10:54 AM
 
570 posts, read 1,394,167 times
Reputation: 505
Why is it that so many people seem to have a big problem with the KKK and other white groups. But have no problem with all the black hate groups and Mexican hate groups. And these Mexican groups want to take over America.

The Klan has the same right to have their group as the blacks and Mexicans do to have their hate groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2010, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
694 posts, read 1,497,304 times
Reputation: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
Why is it that so many people seem to have a big problem with the KKK and other white groups. But have no problem with all the black hate groups and Mexican hate groups. And these Mexican groups want to take over America.

The Klan has the same right to have their group as the blacks and Mexicans do to have their hate groups.
I didn't think anyone was claiming they were worse than other hate groups, but you're right: racism in all its forms is despicable and should be judged equally. There are certainly gangs and organizations out there that hate whites, blacks, hispanics, indians, etc. just because of their ethnicity and they're all rotten as far as I'm concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top