Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 06:16 PM

44 posts, read 126,376 times

Advertisements

I am 100% for this law. Teen drivers tend to be reckless, speed demons and they lack the judgement of adult drivers. Keeping them off the road is the best thing. I also think they need to pass more laws for grown adults. Too many of them are becoming real idiots as well. Don't restrict the adults from driving of course, but pass stricter laws.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:40 AM

437 posts, read 929,695 times
i agree... plus way to many accidents and i think there should be more cops on the road looking for these reckless drivers and speed demons but most of them are at the station...

Old 03-12-2009, 11:52 AM

388 posts, read 1,784,790 times
Used to be a saying...Driver's education?...don't need driver's education; you can drive when your momma says you can.

Times have changed.

I've seen too many families mourning because of kids lost to traffic accidents.

Not sure if this is a good law or not...if it helps prevent kids killing themselves just by being kids it's may be a good law...if it doesn't, it still may be worth the trial.

Cell phones while driving?...ain't just the kids.

Get off the freaking phone and pay attention to your driving!

Old 03-12-2009, 12:50 PM

985 posts, read 2,600,544 times
I recall reading an article that said people fiddling with the radio actually caused more accidents than people talking on the phone. I don't know if the article was correct but I do know teens are very bad about this, heck I use to switch CD's while changing lanes (I was an idiot). I think driving laws just need a complete overhaul.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:15 AM

437 posts, read 929,695 times
thats funny...my mom is driving and trys to find something in the car... she acts like she is drunk.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:45 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,302,277 times
Florida has had a curfew in place for a few years now. It's hardly enforced.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:07 PM

806 posts, read 2,959,592 times
I totally disagree.

What a way to restrict freedoms in an increasing nanny state. Parents should judge whether their kids can drive a car and if they choose to finance such an enterprise.

Growing up, the best times were had on a Saturday night riding around in my truck with a bunch of guys doing all kinds of fun things...

My child will be allowed to drive.. I will pay whatever penalty it is (under 10k.)

Old 04-26-2009, 08:08 PM

806 posts, read 2,959,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iColt1 View Post
i agree... plus way to many accidents and i think there should be more cops on the road looking for these reckless drivers and speed demons but most of them are at the station...
You say that cops should defend the ridiculous speed limits in this country? If the speed limit matched the conditions on the road, sure..

If I am in a hurry.. get the f out of my way boy.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:56 AM

6 posts, read 14,958 times
Butting in here (sorry everyone!)... my family and I are getting ready to move to Cabot in about a month. My oldest son is 12 and we'll be there at least long enough for him to be old enough to get his license. (Whether he gets it or not will depend on his maturity level, how skillful he is and how ready I am to let him loose on the population...!) Here's a little background: I've lived overseas most of my life; mostly in Germany and the UK. In both countries, you can't even THINK about getting your license until 18. In both countries, you are required to go to VERY expensive, extremely long driving schools to even be allowed to test. In both countries, using a cell phone AT ALL while driving is illegal. In the UK, it is illegal to eat or drink while driving (of course, they have a terrible time enforcing this!!), to the extent that most vehicles you can buy here don't even have cup holders. No, this is not an exaggeration. None of this keeps young drivers from killing themselves and others by acting like they know exactly how to control their vehicles at 90 miles an hour, on wet roads, in the fog, while focusing on anything other than the road and their car.

I got my license in Germany well after my 18th birthday. Not only did I attend the German driving school, but my mother worked with me constantly after I got my permit at 17. I think that the idea of changing the laws is only a workable solution if the state has the actual ability to enforce the regulations. However, I do agree with many on here that it really is the parents' responsibility to help their own kids learn: not only how to drive, but also how to be respectful of other drivers, respectful of road conditions and of their own limitations. I know MANY adults who shouldn't be allowed to drive! State money, federal money, personal money: it needs to be spent to help teach the new drivers how to drive SAFELY. It isn't a matter of speed - in Germany, the average speed on the Autobahn hovers between 90 - 100 mph. There are signs posted that if your car CAN'T go at least 65 mph, you need to get off the highway! Per capita, there are fewer major accidents on Germany highways than in the States. However, over 80% of those accidents are fatal, due to speed.

Bottom line: IMO, changing the laws won't change behavior. Kids are kids and are likely to be unsafe drivers when they first get their licenses, no matter if a year is tacked on. Also, although many teens together in a car can equal trouble, it seems superfluous to limit the number of them in the car when a teen is driving. Either that kid is capable, or not. His or her friends won't make the difference.

Wow. I've gone on much longer than I meant to. Sorry about that folks!! Just my two cents.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:58 AM

6 posts, read 14,958 times
ps... my kiddo is gonna be shattered if he can't drive until he's 18!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas