Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 12,660 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for the advice and insights. It certainly sounds like the better summer weather is NWA. How about winter weather? One of the posters said that NEA is light on the snow. But how is NWA? Is it likely to have more snow/lower temps?

And I was interested to know if there were perceived differences in the people in the two regions. Would you expect either to be more favorable to outsiders, especially yankees?

Regarding my farming aspirations, they are fairly half-baked at this time. I have put in a couple gardens but I figure a novice like myself is probably better off starting with as good soil as he can. And my preference would be to at least have the option to supplement income by leasing the land to a real farmer. It sounds like the prospects for that would be better in NEA.

With respect to Crowley Ridge, where is it in relation to Paragould and Jonesboro?

And finally, while cultural activities are not my primary goal, it would be nice to sometimes take in a concert, play or lecture. Any thoughts on NEA vs. NWA on that score?

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 09:24 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
not many real farmers in NWA as compared to NEA

Old 03-11-2009, 10:09 AM

99 posts, read 350,269 times
NWA probably has more transplants than NEA. However, that doesn't mean that NEA would not be welcoming to you. IMO, the people there are friendly, family-oriented, and down-to-earth.

Land-leasing is common with the real farmers in NEA.

With respect to Crowley Ridge, where is it in relation to Paragould and Jonesboro?
They lie along it. See Crowley's Ridge State Park in NE Arkansas lies atop a geological anomaly

And finally, while cultural activities are not my primary goal, it would be nice to sometimes take in a concert, play or lecture. Any thoughts on NEA vs. NWA on that score?
Jonesboro has Arkansas State University (Convocation Center and Folwer Center) so there are opportunities to see the college ensembles, choirs, and theatre. Also, some "big names" make it to the Convocation Center every now and then.

I lived in Jonesboro for about 5 years while in college and enjoyed my time there. It is definitely a slower-paced lifestyle than most places, a nice place to live, IMO.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Farmer View Post
Thank you all for the advice and insights. It certainly sounds like the better summer weather is NWA. How about winter weather? One of the posters said that NEA is light on the snow. But how is NWA? Is it likely to have more snow/lower temps?

And I was interested to know if there were perceived differences in the people in the two regions. Would you expect either to be more favorable to outsiders, especially yankees?

Regarding my farming aspirations, they are fairly half-baked at this time. I have put in a couple gardens but I figure a novice like myself is probably better off starting with as good soil as he can. And my preference would be to at least have the option to supplement income by leasing the land to a real farmer. It sounds like the prospects for that would be better in NEA.

Thanks again.
CityFarmer,

I think the best thing for you is to come and visit, then you will have a little better idea. Again, I am prejudice, and we have only been here a little less than a year, but with the exception of the farming angle, it looks like NWA would suit your needs a little better.

We have very little snow and I would say ice, except for the horrible, damanging ice storm this past Jan. Sure we have mornings in the teens and a few even signa digits but even they are not common. I can't say for certain, but I don't think you will find the winters too much different in the two regions.

Because we do have a few fairly large towns plus the university I think culturally you will find much more to do here. In fact that is one thing we love about living here. You can be in a completely rural setting and within 15 or 20 minutes be in a great area for cultural activities, good dining, shopping and great medical facilities. Now, don't get me wrong, you are not going to get New York quality shows or Las Vegas and Dallas dining, but there is certainly enough to keep most of us busy..

One more positive aspect, there are so many transplants living in NWA, you are almost a novelty if you are from here.

Nita

Old 03-19-2009, 12:33 AM

4 posts, read 9,964 times
I live in Pocahontas, which is NEA. I grew up in Rockford, Illinois,,, north of Chicago about 2 hours. Housing with land isnt that hard to find and I would agree for activities here are not alot and most people go to Jonesboro for indoor activites. As for being a yankee in this area, it isnt an issue. 3 out of the 5 houses on my street are from Illinios. I worked with a lady from California. There are alot of transplants around and especially after Katrina. If you like hunting, shooting, floating, boating, golf, softball you'll especially fit in fine. I would worn to stay away from rice fields. The local joke is that the state bird is the misquito is for a reason. If you stay away from the rice fields the misquitoes are not a problem, but if not watch out. My culture shock was mostly from going larger city to small city. In Pocahontas only walmart, mcdonalds and a gas station are open after 10pm and that is a new addition. When we moved here 7 years ago only the gas station was open past 8 pm. The kids can get a drivers permit at 14 and having days off school for deer season opening, people waving at you when you drive past and the misquitos where my shocks when moving here. I have never had a problem with the people. I joke around about being a yankee vs a redneck but it has always just been for fun. Oh yeah pop is now soda...lol. That one took some time to adjust to! My mom retired down here and she still calls it pop after 3 years..lol.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:01 AM

148 posts, read 350,672 times
If you move to NEA, DH is from there, you'll be close enough to go to Memphis for concerts, sports, etc. You're not limited to Jonesboro.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:28 AM

20 posts, read 58,367 times
Everytime I've spent time in and around Fayetteville I found it

way more enlightened and educated than anywhere around eastern AR

places like West Memphis, Marion, are certainly not that great, but Jonesborugh is actually a NE city....so I guess West Memphis, and Marion
aren't indicative at all.......but the closer you get to the bootheel, things
get a little strange

NorthEAST versus NorthWEST ?? hmmm....I'd choose NW.....like closer maybe to Tulsa 'environment' maybe

Old 03-21-2009, 10:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northfielder View Post
Everytime I've spent time in and around Fayetteville I found it

way more enlightened and educated than anywhere around eastern AR

places like West Memphis, Marion, are certainly not that great, but Jonesborugh is actually a NE city....so I guess West Memphis, and Marion
aren't indicative at all.......but the closer you get to the bootheel, things
get a little strange

NorthEAST versus NorthWEST ?? hmmm....I'd choose NW.....like closer maybe to Tulsa 'environment' maybe
except for the farming part, as I have said, I would think NWA would be a better fit..

Nita

Old 05-21-2009, 10:47 AM

21 posts, read 44,343 times
Default consider this

Have you looked at the Mena area? I do not like the natural gas activity up north of the AR river. Your description of your perfect property could be found easily here. Unlike you I was raised in New England, but have chosen to live here for a thousand reasons.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:40 PM

151 posts, read 713,745 times
Whats up with the soil in NWA that makes it so bad for farming? Zinc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas