Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:10 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree with you. I too would support him, my problem? Is he electable? I know a few people in the south (staunch republicans) that say they can not support a southern Baptist, especially an X pastor...I do not think he would let his convictions color any decisions but convince others of that.

BTW, I love him on Fox, we don't watch it every weekend but when we do, we really enjoy him..

Nita
Trust me, he would let his convictions color his decision.
Say Congress wanted to repeal DOMA...I bet he wouldn't go for it.

In any case, he MIGHT have helped child obesity rates by sending all those letters homes with kids saying they're overweight or obese.
He did away with unhealthy snacks in some schools...a decision I wasn't happy about. If kids want to buy unhealthy snacks, that is their perogative. If he really wanted to help child obesity in AR and improve children's achievement in the classroom, he would have overhauled the school lunch program. Many of my classmates felt that even though we had "healthier snacks" in the vending machine and juice (which has a lot of sugar...empty calories, just like SODA) instead of coke....the school lunch had a lot of fat in it.

I hope he never becomes president and I can't stand the man.
You can be religious all you want but what does your religion or church have to do with allowing a same-sex couple equal rights under the law? It shouldn't have anything to do with it but he wants the U.S. to live under HIS view of morality. What about my religious views? For some people it's against their religion NOT to allow same-sex couples to have civil unions, same-sex marriage, domestic partnerships, etc. What about them?

Why change the constitution to insert bigoted views? Let the states decide...repeal DOMA and get your bible off my rights!

As you can see....he makes my blood boil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 02:08 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Trust me, he would let his convictions color his decision.
Say Congress wanted to repeal DOMA...I bet he wouldn't go for it.
If Hugo Chavez ran on a platform of gay rights, would you vote for him?

Old 04-02-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and funny to boot!!!!
Oh.....!!

I'm on my way back from town this morning and he's on the radio. He's going on about Hillary's soft-gloved approach to the Taliban in Afghanistan.

She said they could integrate and become part of society if they'd, "denounce extremism".

He said that was like finding someone in the KKK that was color blind.

Then he said that the Taliban took time out from planning their attack on Washington D.C. to release a statement on her proposal stating that she was a "lunatic".

When he started his commentary on where you stand when the *Taliban* calls you a "lunatic"....

I had to pull the truck over I was laughing so hard.

As long as he's around, I'm not the only one looking at the world through 'Bourbon goggles'.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
If Hugo Chavez ran on a platform of gay rights, would you vote for him?
I doubt I'll ever get the chance to vote for him.

I'm pretty libertarian when it comes to marriage.
The government shouldn't be involved but since they are, they shouldn't discriminate.
I pretty much put Huckabee and Jerry Cox in the same catergory: homophobic bigots who should mind their own dam* business.

I have no problem with religion, as long as people don't try to force it on me.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I doubt I'll ever get the chance to vote for him.

I'm pretty libertarian when it comes to marriage.
The government shouldn't be involved but since they are, they shouldn't discriminate.
I pretty much put Huckabee and Jerry Cox in the same catergory: homophobic bigots who should mind their own dam* business.

I have no problem with religion, as long as people don't try to force it on me.
I have lived places that I have had to to work that I hated.

Believe it or not, I was 18 once also.

I had long hair, belonged to students for a Democratic Society (SDS), dabbled in things illegal () that I felt the government had no business telling me not to do.......................

Which did not thrill my *mennonite* family.

But hey, I knew it all.

I started thinking, "There's got to be something else in this world", so to *really* rebel against my parents and their religion, I enlisted.

Short time later found myself in the rice paddies in Viet Nam.

Boy.....I really showed *them*!

I (luckily) came back, but basically with my chromosomes rearranged. All expense paid S.E. Asian vacations will do that sometimes.

I found my outlook on the world to be much different, and evolving, but the one thing I wanted to do more than anything was to be myself. I felt I had at least *earned* that right. That's tough to do when you live someplace that rejects your lifestyle.

I think you can relate to that.

I gritted my teeth and tried to present myself as "one of them" as long as I could.

Eventually, I did what a number of people that I know did, and what a number of people on this forum have done or are doing. Knowing that we can't change our current environment, we found one more hospitable.

We came to a state/area, that allowed us to be ourselves, and not get eatin up with trying to please those around us.

Two states in the U.S. do not recognize the right for concealed carry, Illinois and Wisconsin, so....I choose to stay out of those states, and as a matter of fact, try not to do business with a company domiciled there.

The other 48 do.

Two states in the U.S. recognize same sex marriages. Massachusetts and Connecticut.

The rest don't.

Wouldn't it be easier to stay out of the other 48 than curse the the changes the voters have invoked?

Both states have excellent colleges, vibrant cities, oodles of recreation, and more than one student has gone through with a little grant and some part time work.

Things change...or at least the way we see them do.

Don't burn the long term for the short term.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:48 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Quote:

I had long hair, belonged to students for a Democratic Society (SDS), dabbled in things illegal () that I felt the government had no business telling me not to do.......................

But hey, I knew it all.

I started thinking, "There's got to be something else in this world", so to *really* rebel against my parents and their religion, I enlisted.

I (luckily) came back, but basically with my chromosomes rearranged. All expense paid S.E. Asian vacations will do that sometimes.

I found my outlook on the world to be much different, and evolving, but the one thing I wanted to do more than anything was to be myself. I felt I had at least *earned* that right. That's tough to do when you live someplace that rejects your lifestyle.

I gritted my teeth and tried to present myself as "one of them" as long as I could.

Eventually, I did what a number of people that I know did, and what a number of people on this forum have done or are doing. Knowing that we can't change our current environment, we found one more hospitable.

We came to a state/area, that allowed us to be ourselves, and not get eatin up with trying to please those around us.

Two states in the U.S. do not recognize the right for concealed carry, Illinois and Wisconsin, so....I choose to stay out of those states, and as a matter of fact, try not to do business with a company domiciled there.

The other 48 do.

Two states in the U.S. recognize same sex marriages. Massachusetts and Connecticut.

The rest don't.

Wouldn't it be easier to stay out of the other 48 than curse the the changes the voters have invoked?

Both states have excellent colleges, vibrant cities, oodles of recreation, and more than one student has gone through with a little grant and some part time work.

I'm sorry, but this is awful! You think someone should circumscribe their life to two states because 48 states have laws that foster discrimination and ignorance. I love Arkansas. I'm thrilled that it's a place where people like you have found the freedom to truly be yourselves. I would be even more thrilled if it were a place where LiveTodayLez could also be herself, and be respected for the caring, intelligent person she is. She has a tremendous amount to offer the state, and her contributions can be of value. I know that many Arkansans don't want people moving in, and changing the place, but sometimes there's a need for change. We needed to change when Central High was desegregated, and if LiveTodayLez is trying to change Arkansas into a more tolerant place, then kudos to her!

Old 04-02-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:

But hey, I knew it all.

The other 48 do.

The rest don't.

You think if I had a choice to be in AR I'd still be here?
Sure I could move to CT or MA but I'd be homeless.
Once I get my degree and some job experience...I will be gone! I can't wait!!!
I thought I could handle living in AR but here lately...suicide has been crossing my mine way too often to be honest and I surely don't want to give Jerry Cox or Huckabee that satisfaction.

It doesn't even have to be same-sex marriage though, I've considered states where they have civil unions or domestic partnerships.

I know not all the voters in the other 48 states want the laws the way they are. Just like not every voter in the states that do allow it want it.

I guess I'm just too libertarian for AR and that's okay.

I'm just expressing my opinions just like anyone else in this country can. If anyone wants to disagree, they are welcome to. Won't change my mind and I'm sure I won't change theirs.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:19 PM

157 posts, read 517,776 times
Huckabee- Based on what I know, I like him as a person. I think his views on science and social issues are wrong, overall.

On this discussion: I thought this journal article I recently read for my citizenship class was relevant:

Quote:
Recent work has considered the role of minority sexualities in citizenship (Russell, 2002) as well as in human rights (Nash, 2005). Finnis (2004) and Plummer (2001) have addressed sexuality or intimacy as central to experiences of citizenship. As notions of citizenship expand to include the individual, personal, intimate, and sexual, new ideas about who belongs to the citizenry and how belonging is defined are needed. Richardson (2000) describes lesbians and gay men as partial citizens: “lesbians and gay men are entitled to certain rights of existence, but these are extremely circumscribed, being constructed largely on the condition that they remain in the private sphere and do not seek public recognition or membership in the political community” (p.77). Thus, citizenship for LGBTQ people is based on maintaining ones’ sexual (minority) identity in private, and many of the fundamental rights of citizenship are denied to same-sex couples. Examples include the U.S. military’s “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell” policy, the inability of same-sex couples to marry in the U.S. (except in Massachusetts), or legal restrictions against adoption for same-sex couples in several states. In sum, heterosexuality has until recently been the model of and a basis for full citizenship in the modern state.
The drumbeat of history marches on, the same struggles play out with new costumes. People will be on the wrong side, people will be on the right side. What do I think? Most Arkies were on the wrong side of segregation/integration in 1957, and same with gay rights today. We know what the youngest generation believes on the issue, though (based on surveys and polls): gay rights are coming soon enough, as older generations leave.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:00 PM

99 posts, read 350,337 times
Quote:
...suicide has been crossing my mine way too often to be honest and I surely don't want to give Jerry Cox or Huckabee that satisfaction.
I hope this is just sarcasm. I seriously doubt that Huckabee would receive satisfaction from your tragic death.

Also, it is too bad that AR is not right for you. We do need younger generations to hang around (I'm one of them). So many people my age are quickly off on their way after attending a college (one they can afford) here in AR.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotSpringsLiving View Post
I hope this is just sarcasm. I seriously doubt that Huckabee would receive satisfaction from your tragic death.

Also, it is too bad that AR is not right for you. We do need younger generations to hang around (I'm one of them). So many people my age are quickly off on their way after attending a college (one they can afford) here in AR.
So Huckabee may not be happy but Jerry Cox is certainly happy to rid the state of gays and lesbians.
Huckabee would gladly keep me here but restrict my freedoms severely.

Yeah, a lot of people in my graduated class said they want to get their degree and just leave.
I'd love to stay and see the state grow but eh...
I'll see in about 6 years. I'll be done with college in 2012 and I'll have two degrees under my belt. I will probably be working here for about 2-3 years to get some experience under my belt and I also want to get my master's before I leave.
It's nice to see another young person on the boards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas