U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 08:24 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,393,700 times

Advertisements

What are some of the improvements that he made as Governor of Arkansas? I was actually going to vote for him to be President but alas it didn't happen. Now he has his own show on Fox News.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 08:35 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,855,441 times
Since I wasn't living in state during his terms I can't say how much he had to do with this but...during his tenure I saw from a distance the formation of the Arkansas Science and Technology Authority which matches government funding for small business startups in high tech fields. This alone helped cement the Genesis Technology Incubator at UAF which now has several companies building space flight hardware for NASA and DoD. Aerospace is now the highest value export industry in Arkansas and we are ranked #12 in that industry in the US for dollar value of products made.

Again...I don't know for sure how much he had to do with that directly but most of that happened during his watch. I think he'd make a great Pres if only he'd back off the religious angle. I don't have a problem with moral convictions coloring a president's decision so long as they don't infringe on the people's intrinsic rights. If he'd convince me of that then I'd be a supporter but that might be hard for him to do considering his background.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Since I wasn't living in state during his terms I can't say how much he had to do with this but...during his tenure I saw from a distance the formation of the Arkansas Science and Technology Authority which matches government funding for small business startups in high tech fields. This alone helped cement the Genesis Technology Incubator at UAF which now has several companies building space flight hardware for NASA and DoD. Aerospace is now the highest value export industry in Arkansas and we are ranked #12 in that industry in the US for dollar value of products made.
I had not heard about that, very interesting.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:19 AM

2,370 posts, read 6,855,441 times
Ok I should have fact checked my a bit better hitting Reply. ASTA was formed in 1983, well before Huck's admin. However, Act 1545 which established the fund matching program was passed in 1999 and was during his admin.

http://www.accessarkansasscience.org/armf.html (broken link)

I know for a fact that Act has been instrumental in helping several companies in those all important formative years.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:02 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post

Again...I don't know for sure how much he had to do with that directly but most of that happened during his watch. I think he'd make a great Pres if only he'd back off the religious angle. I don't have a problem with moral convictions coloring a president's decision so long as they don't infringe on the people's intrinsic rights. If he'd convince me of that then I'd be a supporter but that might be hard for him to do considering his background.
I agree with you. I too would support him, my problem? Is he electable? I know a few people in the south (staunch republicans) that say they can not support a southern Baptist, especially an X pastor...I do not think he would let his convictions color any decisions but convince others of that.

BTW, I love him on Fox, we don't watch it every weekend but when we do, we really enjoy him..

Nita

Old 04-02-2009, 10:15 AM

39,020 posts, read 23,151,087 times
I wouldn't vote for him. I think he demonstrated as Governor that he would let his convictions color his decisions. He's a nice man, but his convictions run very deeply. In some ways, that's admirable. But when it comes to the US Presidency, I think he would have a hard time separating his religion from how he conducts the office, and that concerns me.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I wouldn't vote for him. I think he demonstrated as Governor that he would let his convictions color his decisions. He's a nice man, but his convictions run very deeply. In some ways, that's admirable. But when it comes to the US Presidency, I think he would have a hard time separating his religion from how he conducts the office, and that concerns me.
and that is what some of my friends had to say. They were mainly referring to the So Baptist views period, not just him..They just felt the convictions go too deep. As I said, I would probably vote for him, depending on who was his opponent, but I don't think he will be the nominee anyway..

Nita

Old 04-02-2009, 11:28 AM

3,326 posts, read 7,523,352 times
The roads in Arkansas were severely neglected until Huckabee came along. He got some sort of road bond passed while he was in office. Arkansas went from the absolute worst, to one of the best while he was governor.
He did a lot to the education system while in office. Some liked it, others didn't. For the most part, I think things in that area finally started to improve during that time as well.

The thing that fascinates me the most is that Bill Clinton got elected president after doing hardly anything positive as governor of Arkansas. One scandal after another in Arkansas without the help of Republicans and Ken Star. So much for the vast right-wing conspiracy.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

BTW, I love him on Fox, we don't watch it every weekend but when we do, we really enjoy him..

Nita
I like to watch his show too. He's a good guy, you can tell.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
I like to watch his show too. He's a good guy, you can tell.
and funny to boot!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or