Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 12:54 PM

21 posts, read 52,407 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating from New York to Arkansas next summer. I have done extensive research on Southern AR and have posted many threads. What is it with Sothern AR? Are there no safe places to raise children? Every town I have asked about gets many negative replies!!! Ok, I get Pine Bluff, but I have visited AR on serveral occations and just love all the little towns(El Dorado, Magnolia, Camden, Monticello, Warren, Hope). It seems like people who live there don't have anything nice to say. Is there anyone out there that has any possitive comments about the towns mentioned above? The work is not an issue, but schools and safety are. No need to reply with Northern AR. Have health issues and need to move to warmer climate. Areas below Little Rock although the entire state is absolutly beautiful!!!! Beats NY hands down!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 01:07 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westd27 View Post
My family is relocating from New York to Arkansas next summer. I have done extensive research on Southern AR and have posted many threads. What is it with Sothern AR? Are there no safe places to raise children? Every town I have asked about gets many negative replies!!! Ok, I get Pine Bluff, but I have visited AR on serveral occations and just love all the little towns(El Dorado, Magnolia, Camden, Monticello, Warren, Hope). It seems like people who live there don't have anything nice to say. Is there anyone out there that has any possitive comments about the towns mentioned above? The work is not an issue, but schools and safety are. No need to reply with Northern AR. Have health issues and need to move to warmer climate. Areas below Little Rock although the entire state is absolutly beautiful!!!! Beats NY hands down!!!
ok, I won't mention NWA even though our winters are pretty mild. Have you looked into Hot Springs or better yet Hot Springs village? As for the smaller towns, it is easier to gripe for some reaston than to see the positive side of life.. WE all know the grass is greener on the other side. Many people, living in these small towns picture life in the "big city" as being exciting and life in their area, boring or they don't have the material things they think everyone in the city has. Of course moving from NY to Southern AR is going to be a huge culteral shock, but you are right, the little towns can be charming and the people friendly..

Overall, even if we are very pro NWA all of the state is pretty, you are right and it has a lot to offer.

Good luck,

Nita

Old 04-15-2009, 02:51 PM

4,396 posts, read 4,899,305 times
I spent 4 years in Monticello going to college and a lot of my friends are still in the area and really enjoy it. It is one of two towns in southeast AR that aren't shrinking. The other is Lake Village. The lake is very nice but nights in the delta are unbearable with 'skeeters.

-Robert

Old 04-15-2009, 03:08 PM

200 posts, read 680,809 times
The thing about small towns is that usually the haves and the havenots do not change from year-to-year, decade-to-decade, or even generation-to-generation. The same people / families tend to be in power and dictate things to the rest of the citizens of the community. If everything is going well and the economy is on the rise, no problem. However, south Arkansas (and I'm sure other parts of the country with predominantly small towns) has been slowly fading away. Over the past 20 years, manufacturing jobs have been leaving, and the population is following it. Those citizens that aren't in power are probably the ones you've been talking to. And, with things not going their way, they like to grumble ... a lot.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:12 PM

837 posts, read 2,244,475 times
Are all the graduates from El Dorado High School still getting college paid for? That might be something to think about.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:09 PM

452 posts, read 1,719,899 times
Hot Springs is no longer a small town...and we have the traffic to prove it! We have crime too. Everyone does just on different scales. The area around Hot SP is GORGEOUS and there's tons to do even if the younger generations swear there isn't!

SO, finding a "safe" place to raise children means a safe NEIGHBORHOOD and we have those. In the county, you can find yourself living next door to the worst broken down trailer house in the state OR...to a huge multi-level mansion. There are no rules in the county. City...that's different but most homes inside the city limits are either old or high dollar. Actually, most homes here are high dollar...the recession hasn't hurt us that much...yet.

Check us out. Or even Malvern.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:01 AM

200 posts, read 680,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
Are all the graduates from El Dorado High School still getting college paid for? That might be something to think about.
Well ... not ALL the graduates ... if you have attended EHS at least since the 9th grade AND resided within the district, you get around 65% of a full scholarship. The longer you've been in the district, the higher percentage of a scholarship.

For more details, visit El Dorado Promise. The website has recently been updated with a new layout and more information.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:58 AM

5 posts, read 16,260 times
I have lived in Southern Arkansas all of my life.It's a great place to raise kids,but work is very hard to find here.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:10 PM

21 posts, read 44,264 times
Have you looked at Mena? Best of the best.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:01 AM

8 posts, read 17,019 times
Smile Stay away from pine bluff

I have family who lives down in the southern Arkansas and they say that most of the cities are good. Just stay away from Pine Bluff. I havent heard anything bad about Magnolia and heard good things about Camden. Good luck on your move and you are right about Arkansas being better than NY Hands down!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westd27 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas