Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 07:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karoga View Post
Guess I should clarify where we've been...Fl we were near the ocean but GA was the middle of the state in the middle of nowhere and SC we're in the NW corner so we're about 4 1/2 hrs from the ocean We wouldn't have minded the FL heat if it didn't last as long as the OH winters! The humidity levels were at 90% or better most of the year. That's hot & sticky even if there is an ocean! GA was just as high. It appears from the data that Hot Springs HOT & humid period only last a few months, while FL & GA were several months long.
I would suggest you visit Hot Springs, maybe Eureka Springs and places in te NW corner of AR. Take a week or two and see what you think. When we finally decided to look seriously into this part of the country we took about a week. We even had realtors show us around. We visited Hot Springs, Hot Springs Village, Ft Smith, Bella Vista, then over to Grove, Ok and Muskogee Ok. We saw good and bad in all of the areas, but decided, for us, Bella Vista came closest to what we wanted. We have all the lakes, the fishing, lots of golf, a great standard of living, friendly people and love the proximity to to good medical facilities, Sams, lots of restaurants and entertainment. For others, there are better parts of Arkansas..

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 11:15 PM

288 posts, read 1,080,065 times
Quote:
Interesting when I bring them up together. The temps are very slightly higher than here, but the humidity is less. The crime rate there seems much higher Oh well, I've got a BIG dog!
Karoga,

I suggest you check out Hot Springs Village. It is a gated community about 20 miles NE of downtown Hot Springs. The crime rate is VERY low, and we've got some of the best golf courses around.

* Two manned gates, five electronic gates
* Police, four fire stations, three advanced life support ambulances
* Water, sewer, sanitation and recycling services provided by the POA
* Over 460 miles of paved roads
* More than 20 miles of trails
* Eight 18-hole golf courses and one 27-hole complex
* Tennis courts (hard courts and clay courts)
* Twelve lakes totaling more than 2,000 acres
* Family recreation area with miniature golf, playground, indoor games building, and more
* Lawn bowling, bocce ball and pickle ball
* Fitness center with indoor heated pool, indoor walking track, sauna, weight and cardio equipment
* Seasonal outdoor pools
* Beaches, marinas, pavilions
* Performing arts center
* Large community center

If you want some links, send me a DM.

Jeff

Last edited by JeffAtkins; 04-29-2009 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: add information

Old 04-30-2009, 03:54 PM

465 posts, read 1,417,733 times
Quote:
Guess I should clarify where we've been...Fl we were near the ocean but GA was the middle of the state in the middle of nowhere and SC we're in the NW corner so we're about 4 1/2 hrs from the ocean We wouldn't have minded the FL heat if it didn't last as long as the OH winters! The humidity levels were at 90% or better most of the year. That's hot & sticky even if there is an ocean! GA was just as high. It appears from the data that Hot Springs HOT & humid period only last a few months, while FL & GA were several months long.
When me and the people I was with flew from Georgia to Arkansas we we always agreed that Arkansas felt a little stickier. Just relaying what my subjective experience has been.
Yes I guess Arkansas would have a shorter hot humid period.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bail_Khan View Post
When me and the people I was with flew from Georgia to Arkansas we we always agreed that Arkansas felt a little stickier. Just relaying what my subjective experience has been.
Yes I guess Arkansas would have a shorter hot humid period.
BAil where in AR were you? I haven't been to GA during the summer so can't judge, but I can say, parts of AR are much more humid with higher temps than other parts;; example: Little Rock is usually 5 to 15 degrees warmer than NWA. I don't know if the humidity is higher, but the temps certainly are. This is the case winter and summer.

Nita

Old 04-30-2009, 07:45 PM

452 posts, read 1,722,879 times
The humidity...you get used to it. If you live here long enough Unless you work outside, it's barely noticeable from car to store to car to home..etc. Seriously. WE moved here when I was 21 with two toddlers and I thought I was going to die. Now, it's no problem and I'm sixty. You should see what all the rain this month has done for our yard and flower beds....AWESOME!!!! With a little help from some compost that the city makes available. But I digress.......

I'm still thinkin'.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:38 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,209,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAtkins View Post

* Two manned gates, five electronic gates
* Police, four fire stations, three advanced life support ambulances
* Water, sewer, sanitation and recycling services provided by the POA
* Over 460 miles of paved roads
* More than 20 miles of trails
* Eight 18-hole golf courses and one 27-hole complex
* Tennis courts (hard courts and clay courts)
* Twelve lakes totaling more than 2,000 acres
* Family recreation area with miniature golf, playground, indoor games building, and more
* Lawn bowling, bocce ball and pickle ball
* Fitness center with indoor heated pool, indoor walking track, sauna, weight and cardio equipment
* Seasonal outdoor pools
* Beaches, marinas, pavilions
* Performing arts center
* Large community center
The huntin' has got to be terrible.

I'd think road squirrel is the best you could hope for.

BTW, all them gates, is that to keep y'all in.....or us out?

Old 05-01-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
The huntin' has got to be terrible.

I'd think road squirrel is the best you could hope for.

BTW, all them gates, is that to keep y'all in.....or us out?
too funny, I think it is to keep them in.

One of the reasons we decided not to consider HSV was the gated community..For some it works, for us, not a good idea, they would lock us in for sure I am afraid or maybe lock us out.

Nita

Old 05-01-2009, 10:03 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,209,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
too funny, I think it is to keep them in.

One of the reasons we decided not to consider HSV was the gated community..For some it works, for us, not a good idea, they would lock us in for sure I am afraid or maybe lock us out.

Nita

Where I last worked before retirement, there was a community just like that.

Around the streets and gates, huge fences up, guards at the gates, more recreation opportunities than Disney World, and you could buy in starting at $500k.

One of the downfalls with the scenario was that one entire side of this thing butted up to the woods, and had not a single fence in place. So the bad guys would just walk in through there and break into cars or steal stuff or whatever other hobby they had.

I never quite got the drift of moving to a state like Arkansas, and then living in a cage so you don't have to come in contact with the Arkansans.

However, like I've said many times about this state, you can find almost anything you want here, and find enclaves of like-minded people.

Suum cuique!

Old 05-01-2009, 11:54 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
There is absolutely no way that Arkansas is more humid than Georgia. Someone can fact check me, but if you want humid go to Savannah. Holy Cow, extremely humid. Give me Ark. humidity any day compared to that. I know I am comparing Savannah to Ark. but that is just one example. In my opinion, the state as a whole is more humid than Arkansas, although the temperatures are about the same depending on which part of the state that you live in. If you look at a map, you will notice that Atlanta and Little Rock almost line up. The temperature in those two places are going to be fairly close with Atlanta being more humid.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:55 PM

452 posts, read 1,722,879 times
Humidity....good for the skin. That's why, in Arkansas, fifty is the new twenty.

We always get a kick out of the "guards" at the front entrance of HSV. Dressed to the nines and some of them REALLY take it seriously. Some of them can take a joke...others, not so much. We got one last sunday who plays golf with hubby's uncle and he LOVES his job!!

We've considered moving there in the past but you don't get much bang for your buck in the range we were looking at. The snob factor isn't as bad as it used to be, I think mainly because they now have Diamonte. Somewhere deep inside the bowels of HSV. You still have to drive thirty minutes to get to the best shopping in the county; wallyworld DOESN'T have everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas