U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 11:25 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,236,163 times

Advertisements

I have been visiting HSV since I was a little kid (about 20 yrs). We would always go to the city for the shops and the track and I always thought it was great. However, when I saw the crime rate of the area I was thrown back a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 07:25 PM

4 posts, read 12,340 times
Can anyone give anything about the crime, what its like living there, is it good to raise a family, etc.... I'm from Baltimore and the heat you guys are talking about is nothing, try living here. I'm more interested in what the place is like. Is is safe enough to walk down the street in downtown and in your own neighbor, or must you always look over your should? Are the schools good? Are the people friendly, what are the jobs like, etc.... ( is one area better to live in then another and why?)

Thanks for your input.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:33 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,696,254 times
I have lived here for almost a month and I have loved it. I live on the extreme south side of the city and I have not seen any crime in my area. I did hear of a shooting last week on the extreme north side of town, but I don't know if that is indicative of that area. The crime that I have heard of is mostly petty crime and theft.

As far as schools, I don't know about Hot Springs, but Lake Hamilton is just west of Hot Springs and it is the #1 rated school district in the state. You would be allowed to send your children there if you didn't live in the district, but out-of-district families have to provide their own transportation.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:36 AM

2,457 posts, read 6,088,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karoga View Post
Everything I am finding on the net makes Hot Springs look great. Friends who have been there (we haven't yet) tell us that they think it would suit us very well. So far I haven't seen anything negative about it. Our children are grown so schools are not an issue. Other than something part-time (maybe) jobs are not an issue. We are both very active with community theatre, hubby is a avid golfer and we love water. We don't like the FL/GA/SC heat, nor the OH long, cold, dark winters. Does anyone know of a reason we would NOT want to check out moving there? Thanks!
O.K., you have gotten lots of opinions so I may as well add my two cents worth. I do not live in H.S. but I do work there and would not hesitate to live there if circumstances required it. So, from what you write above, it sounds like H.S. is made for you. Go for it!!

Old 02-17-2010, 11:50 AM

5,361 posts, read 7,052,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
I have lived here for almost a month and I have loved it. I live on the extreme south side of the city and I have not seen any crime in my area. I did hear of a shooting last week on the extreme north side of town, but I don't know if that is indicative of that area. The crime that I have heard of is mostly petty crime and theft.

As far as schools, I don't know about Hot Springs, but Lake Hamilton is just west of Hot Springs and it is the #1 rated school district in the state. You would be allowed to send your children there if you didn't live in the district, but out-of-district families have to provide their own transportation.
That's great to hear as I graduated from Lake Hamilton in '89. I've much preferred living in larger cities; however, if I were looking to move back to a smaller-type town, I'd consider Hot Springs.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:50 PM

10 posts, read 24,330 times
As a former Arkie, I can say that I have driven all over the state, and Hot Springs is the second nicest city in the state, with the "other" Springs the first. When I was living in Ark, the north side of H.S. had a reputation for being the "rough" side of town, but roughness is a comparative thing.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:53 AM

5,612 posts, read 13,237,860 times
I have lived in Hot Springs for the past four months and I LOVE it. I have walk around downtown at night by myself and no harm has come to me, not even close. If there wasn't a bar at hte end of the block it would probably be very quiet. The worst thing that has happened is a drunk guy fell on my car and left a small dent above the window. There was also a bar fight that made it out into the street and the police were here under 5 minutes to break it up.

If this is the worst Hot Springs has to offer, I'll take it. In L.A., the cops would have called back an hour later asking if the fight was still going on.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:10 AM

2,878 posts, read 3,700,426 times
Default Crime index??

Hello, I am resurrecting this thread as my wife is considering a job offer in HS. I checked out the city-data info on the town and the crime index is almost 2.5 times the US average?! in a town of 40,000? What the heck is going on there? Since I know there are statistics, damn statistics and then lies I am curious what this crime is, where it is and what areas to avoid - anyone has any advice?

Also, is there a lot of rural land surrounding the area? Maybe a 5+ or 10+ acre parcel/farm to have some horses? What are the land prices like around the area?

Thanks!
OD

Old 01-12-2011, 10:40 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,696,254 times
Crime: I moved to Hot Springs almost exactly a year ago, and I had the same original concern as you about the crime. I live on the south end of Central Ave and I have never seen or heard of anything bad. With that said, I have walked by a crime scene downtown where someone was shot. As long as you don't sell/make/use drugs, do not prostitute yourself, and you stay away from the very small minority of HS that has those people, you will be fine.

My theory on the matter is that the crime rate is skewed since there are almost always a whole lot more than 40K people in HS because of tourism. If the crime numbers were based off of how many people were actually in HS rather than how many people live here, they would be much, much lower.

The area around the racetrack and Bathhouse row are the areas to avoid, but there are some nice neighborhoods around those locations too. It is very easy to tell where to avoid when you get over here and drive around.

Land: There is a lot of land around HS that you could buy. The areas outside of HS are very rural.

For the record, I love living in Hot Springs. But I am comparing this city to the only other cities I have called home (Fort Smith, AR and Wichita Falls, TX) so it really isn't much of a competition.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:58 PM

12,439 posts, read 9,952,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
the only real drawback I would say is the hot, humid summers. We vacationed there twice, before deciding to re-locate to bella Vista, we like Hot Springs, not crazy over the summer tourist, as it is pretty much a tourest town but could live with that. The heat drove us nuts.

If you can cope with it and are pretty liberal in your thinking Hot Springs might be a great place for you.

Nita
Hot Springs...Liberal? Really? I don't think so.

I have lived in Georgia and have been to Hot Springs. Temperature wise it is close to the same, but Georgia has a lot more humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or