Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 02:51 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,313,568 times

Advertisements

Txdave needs to invest in those green bags they advertise late at night on cable tv. Apparently, those bags will keep your produce good for an eternity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 05:09 PM

511 posts, read 799,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
[i] am so glad you haven't changed your mind about AR. I would hate to see you have to admit you were wrong...

As for the fruit, I have trouble believing 2 hours after you purchased them they were spoiled, maybe someone had painted them yellow to make you think they were just ripe....

I bet placing that Texas clock in your little cubicle would make a huge hit. attitude is the secret to life, you either have a good one and enjoy your life or you have a bad one and are miserable...

Nita
Nita, your sarcastic tude sounds typical Arkansan lol Seriously, even if people don't like me personally, I expect some decent customer service. Heck, I even went to Pizza Hut and the girl just shoves the pizza at me, here. No thank you. The fact that this happens 90% of the time is what shapes my negative perceptions.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:18 PM

837 posts, read 2,248,547 times
You realize, txdave, the common denominator in all these interactions is you. I have to wonder what kind of attitude you're putting out there.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:38 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,694 times
If I remember correctly, Texas Dave lived in a Circle 7 Motel in LR when he first arrived, and was afraid of negroes in Walmart.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Nita, your sarcastic tude sounds typical Arkansan lol Seriously, even if people don't like me personally, I expect some decent customer service. Heck, I even went to Pizza Hut and the girl just shoves the pizza at me, here. No thank you. The fact that this happens 90% of the time is what shapes my negative perceptions.
you have been posting since a few weeks after you arrived in Ar or maybe a month or so after. I meant it to be sarcastic, like everyon else. Saying the bananas were too ripe in showing how petty you are...Along with others, I think going back to Texas is your only choice. I can imagine what it would be like to work in a cubicle near you..There is no way anyplace could be as bad as you think AR is...

Of course not anyplace is perfect for everyone, I lived in Texas for 13 years. For us, it was not utopia, but I never found a reason to hold an attitude like you. There are many wonderful things about Texas, but we never called it home so it wasn't...Everyone gets out of any experience what they put into it. You are making absolutely no attempt to like AR. That is your choice, but by doing so, you are making your life miserable. Continue to hold your negative thoughts and get yourself back to Texas..YOu will be happier and so will a lot of other people I am sure.

If I think hard enough I can find examples of people here who have not been the friendliest..I can think of a couple of places we have gotten Pizza that were really bad or not very good and I can remember the rare steak that was gray and still cold. Oh yes, there was the car dealership that wanted to repair a transmission leak (actually it was in MO) but no other mechanic could find the leak...There was the gal at Sams that answered my question by saying, no we don't have any, do you see them?? But for all these I can name 10 people who have helped me to my car with groceries, said thank you when I didn't think I had done anything to be thanked for and those who have welcomed us into organizations and groups.

Nita

Old 05-05-2009, 08:29 PM

106 posts, read 470,784 times
As someone from Arkansas living in Texas, if I walked into 7-11 down the street and gave counter clerk grief ... I'm sure they would react poorly. If I did that enough, I'm sure I would be banned from the store. There is a reason why restaurants post that they refuse the right to offer service to anyone.

The last thing I want to do living in Texas is to "show my rear" as a Arkansan, because I consider myself a ambassador of my state.

Mark Twain offered the following pieces of advice ... either remember that

"Good breeding consists in concealing how much we think of ourselves and how little we think of the other person. "

or think about how people are reacting to you because ...

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. "

Old 05-06-2009, 06:46 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
When you REALLY HATE where you live, yes, even the petty things like rotten bananas can set you off. After all, its the little things that make up your life experience. As for rude people, I would suggest the OP try to be more friendly with others. Arkansans may be difficult at accepting newcomers as friends but they are very friendly to your face and when they meet you. Something is seriously wrong if you are experiencing what the OP is.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:51 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
I bought bananas yesterday that looked fully ripe, and two hours later, they were rotten! Unbelievable.

Texas pride, baby.
One time I bought a Dr. Pepper at the Kum and Go in Rogers, amazingly it was flat after 2 sips. This would never happen in Abilene.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
When you REALLY HATE where you live, yes, even the petty things like rotten bananas can set you off. After all, its the little things that make up your life experience. As for rude people, I would suggest the OP try to be more friendly with others. Arkansans may be difficult at accepting newcomers as friends but they are very friendly to your face and when they meet you. Something is seriously wrong if you are experiencing what the OP is.
only difficult if you let them be so. If you try to fit in and accept AR as it is without trying to change the people to be more Texas they will resent you..What is the saying "when in Rome, do as the Romans do"? We have never found people in AR regardless of where we have eaten, visitied, spent the night etc to be anything but down home friendly..There are exceptions, of course but basically they are just nice people...

Nita

Old 05-06-2009, 07:37 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
Dave, it sounds as though you are a person who doesn't adjust well to change....my husband is like that. He really would rather that things stay the same forever.

Now, I really want to be kind and show sympathy to you like I did the first time you posted here, but honestly, after reading all of your posts, you're beginning to sound like a rather sour person in general, and I'm beginning to suspect that your problems adjusting have more to do with you than anyone else.

I do love Arkansas, it's true, but I'm well aware that it's not perfect. No place is. Contentment has to be in our hearts before it can be anywhere else, though. If you have peace in your own heart you can make the best of the worst of situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas