Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 06:50 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times

Advertisements

I went to see a movie last night and I was reminded of why I don't go see many movies anymore.

For whatever reason, there seems to be a complete lack of etiquette in the movie theaters. Just for those who don't know here is a list of things not to do in a movie theater.

1. Don't talk while the movie is playing.
2. Don't talk on the phone or text while the movie is playing
3. DO NOT PUT YOUR FEET OR SHOES ON THE SEAT IN FRONT OF YOU.
4. ESPECIALLY DON'T PUT YOUR SHOES OR FEET OVER THE TOP OF THE SEAT IN FRONT OF YOU.
5. Don't bring small children or babies to a PG or R rated movie.
6. IF you need to get up frequently sit at the end of the aisle
7. If you are going to need to get up and you are overly large sit at the end of the aisle.

This is what I have. IF someone has more to add, please add away.

I have been to movie theaters all over the country and depending on the type of movie that I see and where I see it seems to determine the lack of etiquette of the customers. My experience with Arkansas, particularly Fort Smith, is fairly good in comparison.

The one thing that I have noticed in Fort Smith and Arkansas in General is that people seem to think the movie theater is like their home and they put their feet on the back of seats in front of them, thereby making a part of the seat in front of them whatever nasty crap they had on their shoes when they came into the theater. The worst is the person who puts their shoes on top of the chair in front of them.

Last night I saw this moron who put his feet over the top of the seat in front of him with an old lady sitting in the seat right next to his shoe. I am sure that all night she had to look at his nasty shoe out of the corner of her eye. This is rude. I was sitting about 8 rows up so I did not say anything, but I can't believe no one else said anything. I guess they were too nice to put this moron in his place.

ANy thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 06:59 AM

99 posts, read 350,466 times
I agree! We use mail order movies and we can get up from our seats (comfy couch instead of an overused theatre seat) whenever we like, pause the movie, decide to stop watching it, etc. Plus the cheap snacks and $0 ticket price makes watching movies at home great!

Old 05-11-2009, 07:11 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
The last time my girlfriend and I went to the movies, we had to listen to some little baby talk for about 5 movies. She was also laughing and many parts of the movie were serious.
I eventually got the manager and she and I guess her older sisters or her mom (the girls looked pretty young but this is AR....) were kicked out.

As for putting your feet up...I do it on occasion but I always remove my shoes and make sure I have socks on....and I always make sure no one is in front of me.

My biggest issue is babies and cell phones. Texting doesn't bother me unless the phone is really bright but I can't stand seeing a bluetooth light blinking or hearing someone's phone go off.

I used to work at a movie theater.......

I'll add to your list:
8. Do NOT dump huge tubs of popcorn in the middle of the aisle, especially on the carpet area.
9. Do not leave your cups of spit or chewing tobacco for someone else to stumble upon.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I went to see a movie last night and I was reminded of why I don't go see many movies anymore.

For whatever reason, there seems to be a complete lack of etiquette in the movie theaters. Just for those who don't know here is a list of things not to do in a movie theater.

1. Don't talk while the movie is playing.
2. Don't talk on the phone or text while the movie is playing
3. DO NOT PUT YOUR FEET OR SHOES ON THE SEAT IN FRONT OF YOU.
4. ESPECIALLY DON'T PUT YOUR SHOES OR FEET OVER THE TOP OF THE SEAT IN FRONT OF YOU.
5. Don't bring small children or babies to a PG or R rated movie.
6. IF you need to get up frequently sit at the end of the aisle
7. If you are going to need to get up and you are overly large sit at the end of the aisle.

This is what I have. IF someone has more to add, please add away.

I have been to movie theaters all over the country and depending on the type of movie that I see and where I see it seems to determine the lack of etiquette of the customers. My experience with Arkansas, particularly Fort Smith, is fairly good in comparison.

The one thing that I have noticed in Fort Smith and Arkansas in General is that people seem to think the movie theater is like their home and they put their feet on the back of seats in front of them, thereby making a part of the seat in front of them whatever nasty crap they had on their shoes when they came into the theater. The worst is the person who puts their shoes on top of the chair in front of them.

Last night I saw this moron who put his feet over the top of the seat in front of him with an old lady sitting in the seat right next to his shoe. I am sure that all night she had to look at his nasty shoe out of the corner of her eye. This is rude. I was sitting about 8 rows up so I did not say anything, but I can't believe no one else said anything. I guess they were too nice to put this moron in his place.

ANy thoughts.
The feet on the seat has always been a problem, even when I was a kid, 200 years ago. I agree. We rarely go to the movies anymore. We will wait til we can see them at home, in our own living room.

Between the cost of movies and the attitude of those attending it is just not fun and they wonder why the industry isn't doing as well as in years past.

The two things that drive me the nuttiest are:1-like you mentioned very young children unless it is a kids movie and the talking, using the cell phone etc.

We went to a Olivia Newton John concert a couple of years ago (she is one of hubby's favorites) we could hardly hear because of so many on their cell phones.

Nita

Old 05-11-2009, 08:01 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,962 times
Quote:
Sadly,

This is not a problem exclusive to Arkansas. It seems most places many have no manners when they are in a theater, let alone in public anymore. I WILL say that when I go to the independent theaters, these problems are virtually non-existent and people are very well behaved. In fact, bad behavior in the indie houses is not even tolerated. I at all possible avoid the mainstream theaters, but did go with a group to see Star Trek and surprisingly, it was a pleasant experience.

In my town curently we only have one full service theater and a $2.00 one. A third one that is being built may serve booze ,so I know that will go well, lol.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Sadly,

This is not a problem exclusive to Arkansas. It seems most places many have no manners when they are in a theater, let alone in public anymore. I WILL say that when I go to the independent theaters, these problems are virtually non-existent and people are very well behaved. In fact, bad behavior in the indie houses is not even tolerated. I at all possible avoid the mainstream theaters, but did go with a group to see Star Trek and surprisingly, it was a pleasant experience.

In my town curently we only have one full service theater and a $2.00 one. A third one that is being built may serve booze ,so I know that will go well, lol.
Yeah, I have noticed that at independent movie theaters there are hardly any interruptions, if at all.
The caliber of people tends to be higher so that's probably why.

Last edited by PurpleLove08; 05-11-2009 at 11:46 AM..

Old 05-11-2009, 12:33 PM

200 posts, read 682,267 times
My main complaint is in the snacks that people buy to eat during the movie. Some get the dill pickle that you can smell from 10 rows away. Others like to get the bag of <fill in the blank here> which crinkles and crackles loudly (the bag) every time they put their hand in it.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwinerBock View Post
My main complaint is in the snacks that people buy to eat during the movie. Some get the dill pickle that you can smell from 10 rows away. Others like to get the bag of <fill in the blank here> which crinkles and crackles loudly (the bag) every time they put their hand in it.
I can't stand the smell of jalepenos so whenever someone gets nachos with them....[insert vomiting smiley right here]

Old 05-11-2009, 02:21 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
Do we have any independent theaters in Arkansas?

Old 05-11-2009, 03:46 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,977 times
Market Street Cinema in LR is independent.

Riverdale 10 is also independent, though it shows mainstream films.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas