U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2009, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 7,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
thanks so much. No offense to anyone but is it very religious in Jonesboro? Religion is fine but I don't like it being forced onto me and I kinda get that feeling in Russellville and surrounding areas. If your not one of them, your nobody. I don't like that. I'm more conservative so I think I wouldn't have a problem with that. Dry county is fine too. I don't drink.

A few more questions. 1. Is there a bus system in Jonesboro? At least something to get around.
2.What sorts of things are there to do in Jonesboro? In the city and recreational? I love the outdoors.
3. Is it really out in the middle of nowhere? I know Memphis and Little Rock are a ways away. Never lived in a "small" town or city before. And people on here say the Delta region is "different". What do you mean by that?

BTW I live in Arizona and have only been to Arkansas one time for 3 weeks in 2005. So I don't know much about the state.!

Thanks much,

Daniel
If you have a choice, go to the University of Arkansas located in Fayetteville. Bus system, lots of outdoor activities ie. hiking, lakes, rivers, baseball, football....

People say the Delta region is different because it has a very low median income. Very blue collar.

Never been a fan of Jonesboro. People seem odd to me, but that may just mean i've only met odd people there.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:41 PM

1,189 posts, read 3,551,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fit View Post
If you have a choice, go to the University of Arkansas located in Fayetteville. Bus system, lots of outdoor activities ie. hiking, lakes, rivers, baseball, football....

People say the Delta region is different because it has a very low median income. Very blue collar.

Never been a fan of Jonesboro. People seem odd to me, but that may just mean i've only met odd people there.
The income argument really doesn't hold water...and since he is college bound I seriously doubt he is looking for that six figure job.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Fayett...-Arkansas.html

Estimated median household income in 2007: $35,725 (it was $31,345 in 2000)
Fayetteville: $35,725
Arkansas: $38,134

http://www.city-data.com/city/Jonesboro-Arkansas.html

Estimated median household income in 2007: $40,584 (it was $32,196 in 2000)
Jonesboro: $40,584

Jonesboro's bus system is still running, but the guy that started went to some place in Nevada because they wanted a bus system too and I guess liked the way he setup Jonesboro's system.

Both places have their religious fundies. It has been years since someone in Jonesboro asked me if I had Jesus in my life, but it happened to me in Fayetteville about 3 months ago. Good times...(not)

Fayetteville does have the nicer outdoors when it comes to hiking and biking. If you are a hunter then the Jonesboro area probably wins.

--
But more about Jonesboro...
It is steadily growing and it hasn't suffered nearly as much as the rest of the country has recently (Arkansas overall is doing alright). I wouldn't be too worried about it being a dry county like others said. If booze is what you are after you can get thoroughly inebriated downtown, have a few beers in the comfort of your own home with relative ease(short trip to the county line)...or you can have a glass of wine with your meal at quite a few restaurants. It is humid as hell in the summertime. Again, welcome to Arkansas. Jonesboro typically has cheaper gas than the rest of the state; I have no idea why, possibly due to the proximity to Memphis. You can make it to Memphis in about an hour. Housing is affordable, utilities are as cheap...cheaper than the small town I used to live in. Campus is on the north side of town. Parking is terrible just like every other campus. I don't know what else to say. If you want to have fun you are going to find it wherever you may live.

Last edited by J Arp; 05-21-2009 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: more about Jonesboro...and fixed links

Old 05-21-2009, 03:38 PM

165 posts, read 457,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
The income argument really doesn't hold water...and since he is college bound I seriously doubt he is looking for that six figure job.
Estimated median household income in 2007: $35,725 (it was $31,345 in 2000)
Fayetteville: $35,725

http://www.city-data.com/city/Jonesboro-Arkansas.html

Estimated median household income in 2007: $40,584 (it was $32,196 in 2000)
Jonesboro: $40,584

I'm not sure how accurate the 'data' on city-data.com is to begin with. They still list Fayetteville with a population of 58,000 when the last census in 2007 reported 72,000+.

Sure the student population brings the median household income down for both, but most anyone who has been to Jonesboro and Fayetteville can sense that Fayetteville is clearly the more affluent town.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognoxious View Post
I'm not sure how accurate the 'data' on city-data.com is to begin with. They still list Fayetteville with a population of 58,000 when the last census in 2007 reported 72,000+.

Sure the student population brings the median household income down for both, but most anyone who has been to Jonesboro and Fayetteville can sense that Fayetteville is clearly the more affluent town.
That is what they have listed:

Population in July 2007: 72,208. Population change since 2000: +22.4%

That is true. Jonesboro feels more like a mix of Springdale and Fayeteville in terms of visuals. Though, I'm surprised there aren't more drownings in Fayetteville due to always having their noses so high in the air. They aren't any better than the flat landers.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:53 PM

165 posts, read 457,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
That is true. Jonesboro feels more like a mix of Springdale and Fayeteville in terms of visuals. Though, I'm surprised there aren't more drownings in Fayetteville due to always having their noses so high in the air. They aren't any better than the flat landers.
Don't confuse community pride with Snobbiness - Fayetteville is one of the few places in Arkansas that actually has a sense of association.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:00 PM

686 posts, read 3,419,763 times
Jonesboro sounds nice. I like that it's a dry county. Not a drinker. I am going to fly into Little Rock and head up to Clarksville to stay with my stepmom for a couple days and drive over to Jonesboro to check it out. It's between ASU in Jonesboro or ATU in Russellville!

Old 05-21-2009, 07:56 PM

2 posts, read 4,371 times
It's a lot different that Russellville. I'd say Russellville is cleaner and has less of a run down area. Jonesboro just got a very nice new mall, but has a couple of "after-the-fact" strip malls which are a little run down. Any kind of food you want. It's not like a little college town that would collapse if the school left or anything. Of course the largest portion of the economy of that and the surrounding counties is farming.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:13 PM

157 posts, read 447,371 times
Quote:
thanks so much. No offense to anyone but is it very religious in Jonesboro? Religion is fine but I don't like it being forced onto me and I kinda get that feeling in Russellville and surrounding areas. If your not one of them, your nobody. I don't like that. I'm more conservative so I think I wouldn't have a problem with that. Dry county is fine too. I don't drink.

A few more questions. 1. Is there a bus system in Jonesboro? At least something to get around.
2.What sorts of things are there to do in Jonesboro? In the city and recreational? I love the outdoors.
3. Is it really out in the middle of nowhere? I know Memphis and Little Rock are a ways away. Never lived in a "small" town or city before. And people on here say the Delta region is "different". What do you mean by that?

BTW I live in Arizona and have only been to Arkansas one time for 3 weeks in 2005. So I don't know much about the state.!

Thanks much,

Daniel
I find it pretty funny that you're in Tucson. I have a friend from Jonesboro whose family moved to Tucson while he was in college. He absolutely hated Jonesboro and always complained about its fundie culture.

He loves Tucson by comparison.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Jonesboro sounds nice. I like that it's a dry county. Not a drinker. I am going to fly into Little Rock and head up to Clarksville to stay with my stepmom for a couple days and drive over to Jonesboro to check it out. It's between ASU in Jonesboro or ATU in Russellville!
What is your attraction to Jonesboro exactly? Does ASU have the major you want and ATU doesn't?

If I were your situation I would go to Russellville. Family nearby for support if needed, sort of centrally located in the state, big lake nearby...

Old 05-22-2009, 04:44 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,522,007 times
I say it would be a tossup.
When I said the Delta is different, I didn't mean it in a bad way, or that it was blue collar (which is one thing I admire), it's just a different culture. Unique. Some love it, others never quite get it. Just a heads up.
Jonesboro as a town impresses me more than Russelville, although the latter is in nicer-looking country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas