U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-23-2009, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Tucson
686 posts, read 3,419,763 times
Reputation: 223

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
What is your attraction to Jonesboro exactly? Does ASU have the major you want and ATU doesn't?

If I were your situation I would go to Russellville. Family nearby for support if needed, sort of centrally located in the state, big lake nearby...
hey there, they both have my major but ASU is more well known around the country. I haven't heard much about ATU like I have for ASU.

 
Old 05-24-2009, 06:25 PM
 
27 posts, read 94,758 times
Reputation: 20
What is it with these comparisons of Fayetteville and Jonesboro? There is NONE. The metro for Fay is around 300,000 while jonesboro's is around 85,000. The area around fay is a lot nicer for the eyes, please people do not lie to yourselve and act like endless flat farms are a nice site(around Jonesboro), it is not. Recreation around Jonesboro? You have the Hardy area(hour or so away) which has minor hills and spring river.

Lets compare:

1. Air Travel- NWA- decent sized airport and growing rapidly.
Jonesboro-TINY airport...pointless really..their only airline left...BUT jonesboro is an hour away from Memphis International, which basically takes you whereever you need to go, and has been relativly cheap for me. Also, NWA is pretty isolated, so this one is a toss up, but for me Jonesboro has a slight edge.

2. Cleanliness- Jonesboro is just plain and has some dirty spots. NWA to me seems more midwestern and clean. The city seems to have more pride. NWA wins.

3. College- NWA wins. Although I have been going to ASU in Jonesboro for 2 years and have enjoyed my time and realize we do have some talent here. I will be transfering in a year to persue my degree at another school(I would stay at ASU if they offered the degree im looking for and if Jonesboro because a TAD bit better).

4. Affluence- Jonesboro DOES NOT have more money than NWA. No way. There is little wealth here. I think this is a huge problem since it gives people nothing to look up to in order to work towards. People around here think if they get into debt just to get a 150,000 house and a 30,000 SUV their rich and people should be jealous. Pretty funny really, but as I said when i've been in NWA I sense more wealth and a better infracture overall.

5. Downtown- NWA(fayetteville) has an amazing downtown for the size of town, it easily wins over Jonesboro....BUT...and big BUT Jonesboro's downtown is growing amazingly and has been for around 3 years. Condos and new business's are moving in quickly, also there are a decent amount of bars and one venue for bands. Theres about 8 restreuants down there also. Not bad and getting better.

Overall.... My time in Jonesboro has been pretty bad. This place has been a drain on me mentally and is overall depressing....I will say though that I UNDERSTAND why people like this place. It is quiet, slowed down, and improving (downtown AND surburban areas).
 
Old 05-24-2009, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,464,045 times
Reputation: 4036
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
What is it with these comparisons of Fayetteville and Jonesboro? There is NONE. The metro for Fay is around 300,000 while jonesboro's is around 85,000. The area around fay is a lot nicer for the eyes, please people do not lie to yourselve and act like endless flat farms are a nice site(around Jonesboro), it is not. Recreation around Jonesboro? You have the Hardy area(hour or so away) which has minor hills and spring river.

Lets compare:

1. Air Travel- NWA- decent sized airport and growing rapidly.
Jonesboro-TINY airport...pointless really..their only airline left...BUT jonesboro is an hour away from Memphis International, which basically takes you whereever you need to go, and has been relativly cheap for me. Also, NWA is pretty isolated, so this one is a toss up, but for me Jonesboro has a slight edge.

2. Cleanliness- Jonesboro is just plain and has some dirty spots. NWA to me seems more midwestern and clean. The city seems to have more pride. NWA wins.

3. College- NWA wins. Although I have been going to ASU in Jonesboro for 2 years and have enjoyed my time and realize we do have some talent here. I will be transfering in a year to persue my degree at another school(I would stay at ASU if they offered the degree im looking for and if Jonesboro because a TAD bit better).

4. Affluence- Jonesboro DOES NOT have more money than NWA. No way. There is little wealth here. I think this is a huge problem since it gives people nothing to look up to in order to work towards. People around here think if they get into debt just to get a 150,000 house and a 30,000 SUV their rich and people should be jealous. Pretty funny really, but as I said when i've been in NWA I sense more wealth and a better infracture overall.

5. Downtown- NWA(fayetteville) has an amazing downtown for the size of town, it easily wins over Jonesboro....BUT...and big BUT Jonesboro's downtown is growing amazingly and has been for around 3 years. Condos and new business's are moving in quickly, also there are a decent amount of bars and one venue for bands. Theres about 8 restreuants down there also. Not bad and getting better.

Overall.... My time in Jonesboro has been pretty bad. This place has been a drain on me mentally and is overall depressing....I will say though that I UNDERSTAND why people like this place. It is quiet, slowed down, and improving (downtown AND surburban areas).
I thought the comparison here was supposed to be between Jonesboro and Russellville, not Jonesboro and Fayetteville. ASU v. ATU, not ASU v. UA.
 
Old 05-24-2009, 10:28 PM
 
Location: Tucson
686 posts, read 3,419,763 times
Reputation: 223
I want a comparison between Russellville and Jonesboro please. Not NWA. I am not attending the school in Fayetteville.
 
Old 05-25-2009, 11:04 AM
 
27 posts, read 94,758 times
Reputation: 20
My bad I knew that but I thought the thread went somewhere else. In that case, if your into outdoor recreation, Russellville. Its between Little Rock and Ft. Smith. Other than that, ASU is a better school and Jonesboro has more going on for it, besides scenery.
 
Old 05-25-2009, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Tucson
686 posts, read 3,419,763 times
Reputation: 223
Hi there, I like outdoor recreation but the school is more important. can anyone compare the two schools? I've looked and I feel ASU is the BEST choice for me, but I would love to hear your opinions.

Oh BTW, does anyone have and photos of Jonesboro they could share? They're aren't many out there!!
 
Old 06-02-2009, 12:47 AM
 
27 posts, read 94,758 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
Hi there, I like outdoor recreation but the school is more important. can anyone compare the two schools? I've looked and I feel ASU is the BEST choice for me, but I would love to hear your opinions.

Oh BTW, does anyone have and photos of Jonesboro they could share? They're aren't many out there!!
Man there really isn't many pictures of Jonesboro online...check out the city sites(to see small pics :S) or just try googling. I've gone to ASU for the last few years and must say its been pretty pleasant. I've seen better schools, but i've also found this: If you are looking for a school, anywhere, it is HARD. Either the school is too damn good(expensive hard to get in) or it sucks. I really must say, ASU is a very good median. The school is growing(students and they are currently building a new health building and gym. Also some other building, I dont know what it is though).. Point is... ASU is a nice school, which is getting a lot better, for me, the school is #2 in the state(for public schools...I don't know enough about the private ones)


The only reason I'm leaving ASU is because it doesn't offer the major I want(urban Planning). Otherwise Id be a proud ASU graduate(and I for the most part hate Jonesboro..so yeah)
 
Old 06-02-2009, 02:32 AM
 
193 posts, read 461,376 times
Reputation: 88
Craighead may be dry, but is the city of Jonesboro wet? I would have to think the city is wet in order to support businesses like an Applebee's and Ruby Tuesday's. There is 1 T.V. station in Jonesboro, KAIT 8.
 
Old 06-02-2009, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Tucson
686 posts, read 3,419,763 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Man there really isn't many pictures of Jonesboro online...check out the city sites(to see small pics :S) or just try googling. I've gone to ASU for the last few years and must say its been pretty pleasant. I've seen better schools, but i've also found this: If you are looking for a school, anywhere, it is HARD. Either the school is too damn good(expensive hard to get in) or it sucks. I really must say, ASU is a very good median. The school is growing(students and they are currently building a new health building and gym. Also some other building, I dont know what it is though).. Point is... ASU is a nice school, which is getting a lot better, for me, the school is #2 in the state(for public schools...I don't know enough about the private ones)


The only reason I'm leaving ASU is because it doesn't offer the major I want(urban Planning). Otherwise Id be a proud ASU graduate(and I for the most part hate Jonesboro..so yeah)
thanks. I got accepted today and am going to take their offer for admissions. ASU is a good school and I know people in my major that went to ASU and are doing very well. Can't wait to check out Jonesboro.
 
Old 06-02-2009, 07:18 PM
 
985 posts, read 2,300,613 times
Reputation: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
Hi there, I like outdoor recreation but the school is more important. can anyone compare the two schools? I've looked and I feel ASU is the BEST choice for me, but I would love to hear your opinions.

Oh BTW, does anyone have and photos of Jonesboro they could share? They're aren't many out there!!
I don't have any pictures, sorry. But let me forewarn you that Jonesboro, while being a nice enough city, is not exactly picturesque. However, it has it's own unique kinda charm... I suppose
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top