U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2009, 09:45 PM

12,439 posts, read 9,952,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bail_Khan View Post
Hey I don't have kids I don't know.

Just off the top of my head

Huckabee Nature Center

The museums/art center (small but they are moving the art center into a bigger building)

Maybe try to catch some kind of an event at the convention center, best I can come up with on the spot.

The Marshals museum probably will be pretty nice.
The Huckabee nature center maybe something for the family. Museums/art center not too great...Fayetteville is much better. The convention center depends on if there is something going on...Little Rock, Tulsa much better. The Marshals museum is not built...nothing but a sign there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 10:10 PM

2,639 posts, read 5,056,610 times
Here are valid questions and I'm not being facetious.

- is the A&W still up or did they tear it down?
- World Burger/Whatta Burger, same question?
- Did the Sonic Drive In get "domesticated" like it did out west where it's green with dudes on skates?
- Has Fort Smith advanced economically? The last time I was there which was over a decade ago, they'd just heard of PlayStation 1 where I was busy playing PlayStation 2.
- Do kids actually play in the streets now or is it still sterile?

Old 05-24-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Here are valid questions and I'm not being facetious.

- is the A&W still up or did they tear it down?
- World Burger/Whatta Burger, same question?
- Did the Sonic Drive In get "domesticated" like it did out west where it's green with dudes on skates?
- Has Fort Smith advanced economically? The last time I was there which was over a decade ago, they'd just heard of PlayStation 1 where I was busy playing PlayStation 2.
- Do kids actually play in the streets now or is it still sterile?
I think there is an A&W, but it is part of another chain...not like it used to be.
I think there is still a whatta burger.
I don't think there is anyone on skates anylonger.
Fort Smith has some factory closings, but they are still hanging in there.
I don't know how PlayStation has anything to do with how well they have advance economically.
Kids playing in the streets? I guess it depends on the neighborhood. That seems like a very odd question.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I don't know how PlayStation has anything to do with how well they have advance economically.
If I own PlayStation 2, and they've just now heard of PlayStation 1, that means that the economy isn't keeping up with other states. That was the way things were the last time I was there.

Quote:
Kids playing in the streets? I guess it depends on the neighborhood. That seems like a very odd question.
In California at least, kids actually play in the streets on occasion. The last times I went to Fort Smith, there were no kids playing in the streets. I was told by my parents, who were raised in Fort Smith, that this was just the way it is - kids played in their yard or at parks, never in the streets.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:16 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,599,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
If I own PlayStation 2, and they've just now heard of PlayStation 1, that means that the economy isn't keeping up with other states. That was the way things were the last time I was there.
They didn't get high speed Internet until 2002, and 3G phone service until 2008. I used to work at an electronics reseller in Fort Smith from 2005 to 2007 and most people had never heard of broadband Internet and I met several who had never used a computer.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
They didn't get high speed Internet until 2002, and 3G phone service until 2008. I used to work at an electronics reseller in Fort Smith from 2005 to 2007 and most people had never heard of broadband Internet and I met several who had never used a computer.
If that's true then it means things are still as slow as they used to be. That's unfortunate, but economic growth is spurred by demand...if the residents don't want or need it, that's that I suppose.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:20 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Hey I don't have kids I don't know.

Just off the top of my head

Huckabee Nature Center

The museums/art center (small but they are moving the art center into a bigger building)

Maybe try to catch some kind of an event at the convention center, best I can come up with on the spot.

The Marshals museum probably will be pretty nice.
We loved visiting the visitors center and hearing the history behind the place. In fact we thought the downtown area was quite interesting.

Nita

Old 05-25-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We loved visiting the visitors center and hearing the history behind the place. In fact we thought the downtown area was quite interesting.

Nita
Yes the city has some history, in fact, it feels like it is stuck in time.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:00 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Yes the city has some history, in fact, it feels like it is stuck in time.
probably pretty correct there, but the area was still a good reminder of years gone by. I will say, it was the only place in our research where the bible Belt groupies played a roll. We were having lunch at Western Sizzlin ( a rarsity for us as we are not buffet people, it was good I will admit) in Van Buren, I was going through the line and a lady behind me said, hello or isn't it a nice day, something like that. Anyway I mentioned how good the food was and her comment "of course, everything is always good where God is". I was tempted to say something like, oh, is he the chef today, but decided just to keep my mouth shut and laugh to myself. Of course I shared the comment with many.

For us Van Buren, Fort Smith was not the place to spend the rest of our lives. Our granddaughter, then a senior at AR, told us that before we checked it out. This doesn't mean it isn't a great place to live for some, just not for us. I think this is the jest of these posts, what is right for me isn't right for everyone and just because I didn't find Fort Smith the city of my dreams certainly is no reflection on the town.

Nita

Old 05-25-2009, 09:22 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,358,167 times
Quote:
I know the place pretty well. If I don't know I might be able to find out.
Bail, tell us your views on Ft. Smith.

Obviously a younger person is going to have different priorities, entertainment, desires than us older folk.

Now that we have heard it's a vast wasteland, give us your slant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or