U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:40 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
You may not want to rep me for this one, Nita.

I personally do not see how someone can form a negative opinion about a whole town just because someone in a buffet line mentions how good God is. I am a Christian, and I would have understood her comment at once and replied in kind, rejoicing for a moment with my sister over how good God is. I truly do not understand how that would not be any Christian's reaction to such a comment....neither do I understand laughing about it. The lady was not rudely forcing any kind of interaction on anyone about her religious beliefs, just expressing her love for God.

If it were a person of some other religion that made a religious comment, I would not be fellowshipping with them over it, but I would not let it sour me on the whole town.

Thank God we live in America where we still (for the time being) have religious freedom.
Oh, I think you misunderstood my posting. I would not put a town down for something like that, I just thought it was funny. I do not wear my religion on my sleeve though we are pretty religious. I feel the same about my political views, I have very strong ones, but would not discuss them in line at a buffet. I would discuss them and religion is many circles, but not everywhere.

Many things about Ft Smith did not appeal to us, certainly her comment would not have stopped us from moving there..

As for living in America, I totally agree, it is great living in a country that is free and we can believe the way we want. I think many people do not totally realize this. They feel it is ok to believe the way they do, but we are awful if we believe a different way.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 09:52 AM

7,946 posts, read 14,602,573 times
[quote=Luvvarkansas;9038763]You may not want to rep me for this one, Nita.

I personally do not see how someone can form a negative opinion about a whole town just because someone in a buffet line mentions how good God is. I am a Christian, and I would have understood her comment at once and replied in kind, rejoicing for a moment with my sister over how good God is. I truly do not understand how that would not be any Christian's reaction to such a comment....neither do I understand laughing about it. The lady was not rudely forcing any kind of interaction on anyone about her religious beliefs, just expressing her love for God.

If it were a person of some other religion that made a religious comment, I would not be fellowshipping with them over it, but I would not let it sour me on the whole town. [\QUOTE]

Some people, especially non-evangelical Christians from outside the South view religion as more of a personal choice that shouldn't the topic of public conversation especially among strangers in a restaurant. I think it is something that comes from an area without much diversity in religious beliefs. In Fort Smith it can be difficult if you aren't Baptist or Pentacostal because you are so outnumbered and people there don't separate religion and politics. I think nmmita is episcopalean, which wouldn't be looked highly on in Fort Smith because of that denomination's blessing upon same sex couples.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:27 PM

4,749 posts, read 6,148,666 times
You know what, I'm sorry for seeming argumentative in replying to that story again, it's just that every time Ft. Smith comes up, it gets repeated as a negative -- quote: it was the only place in our research where the bible Belt groupies played a roll. (sic) (The use of the word "groupies" implies mindless, fanatical followers, IMO.) And I'm thinking that the first time you posted it, it was also with the intent of casting Ft. Smith in a negative light. Maybe I was wrong. I can tell you are a very nice lady from your many posts here, but I just really disagree with you on this.

For those of you who don't understand that lady's intent in saying what she said, here it is in a nutshell: "God is in my heart and gives me peace that passes all understanding, so wherever I am and in whatever situation I am in, it is good because He is with me, and it gives me such joy that it just bubbles out."

So to bring the subject back to the purpose of the forum, I will say this and then lay it down unless someone directs a question to me personally.....there are people in this world who would love living in a town with lots of Christians and lots of church activities, so for them, Ft. Smith might be a great place to live! I personally haven't seen anything to endear it to me, but I've only been to the outskirts, the mall area, Lowe's, etc., and I haven't seen the downtown or any parks or neighborhoods or anything like that. It was also flat, and I like hilly....Van Buren was more to my liking. But some people like flat, too....easier to get from one place to another in a hurry!

Old 05-29-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
You know what, I'm sorry for seeming argumentative in replying to that story again, it's just that every time Ft. Smith comes up, it gets repeated as a negative -- quote: it was the only place in our research where the bible Belt groupies played a roll. (sic) (The use of the word "groupies" implies mindless, fanatical followers, IMO.) And I'm thinking that the first time you posted it, it was also with the intent of casting Ft. Smith in a negative light. Maybe I was wrong. I can tell you are a very nice lady from your many posts here, but I just really disagree with you on this.

For those of you who don't understand that lady's intent in saying what she said, here it is in a nutshell: "God is in my heart and gives me peace that passes all understanding, so wherever I am and in whatever situation I am in, it is good because He is with me, and it gives me such joy that it just bubbles out."

So to bring the subject back to the purpose of the forum, I will say this and then lay it down unless someone directs a question to me personally.....there are people in this world who would love living in a town with lots of Christians and lots of church activities, so for them, Ft. Smith might be a great place to live! I personally haven't seen anything to endear it to me, but I've only been to the outskirts, the mall area, Lowe's, etc., and I haven't seen the downtown or any parks or neighborhoods or anything like that. It was also flat, and I like hilly....Van Buren was more to my liking. But some people like flat, too....easier to get from one place to another in a hurry!
Are you talking to me? I never referred to bible Belt "Groupies" or I certainly don't remember saying anything like that and we didn't base our decision on any one thing. In fact I really don't think the comment had any baring on us deciding to go further NW. I just thought it was an interesting remark which, I will say really surprised me. We too like more hills and a little more greenery. Ft Smith/Van Buren is not ugly or lacking trees but after we saw Bella Vista there was only one other place we even considered. I like Grove, OK, hubby feel in love with BV.

I just don't want you to think we would make a life decision on the remarks of one person.

Nita

Old 05-29-2009, 03:45 PM

It also says something that a discussion on Fort Smith can never be had without it turning into a religious argument.

The town is defined by right wing fundamentalist Christianity. If you aren't into that chances are you aren't going to like Fort Smith. The town really just isn't large enough to offer stuff for everybody unlike say Little Rock or Tulsa, which both have conservative Christian cultural underpinnings but are large enough that people with vother beliefs can at least find like-minded people.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:07 PM

4,749 posts, read 6,148,666 times
You really can't remember saying that about the Bible-belt groupies? Well, I can relate, I'm getting old, too, but anyway, here it is (from pg. 2 of this thread):

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
probably pretty correct there, but the area was still a good reminder of years gone by. I will say, it was the only place in our research where the bible Belt groupies played a roll. We were having lunch at Western Sizzlin ( a rarsity for us as we are not buffet people, it was good I will admit) in Van Buren, I was going through the line and a lady behind me said, hello or isn't it a nice day, something like that. Anyway I mentioned how good the food was and her comment "of course, everything is always good where God is". I was tempted to say something like, oh, is he the chef today, but decided just to keep my mouth shut and laugh to myself. Of course I shared the comment with many.

For us Van Buren, Fort Smith was not the place to spend the rest of our lives. Our granddaughter, then a senior at AR, told us that before we checked it out. This doesn't mean it isn't a great place to live for some, just not for us. I think this is the jest of these posts, what is right for me isn't right for everyone and just because I didn't find Fort Smith the city of my dreams certainly is no reflection on the town.

Nita

Old 05-29-2009, 10:38 PM

12,439 posts, read 9,954,066 times
....Van Buren was more to my liking. But some people like flat, too....easier to get from one place to another in a hurry![/quote]

Van Buren? Crap - Fort Smith is actually more interesting than Van Buren. That puts Van Buren at the bottom of the pile...not to mention it is in a dry county.

"those of you who don't understand that lady's intent in saying what she said, here it is in a nutshell: "God is in my heart and gives me peace that passes all understanding, so wherever I am and in whatever situation I am in, it is good because He is with me, and it gives me such joy that it just bubbles out."

Wow you got all of that from what the lady said. I am so out of the loop. Where can I pick up this Fort Smith to English Dictionary. I need to know what the heck people are talking about.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
You really can't remember saying that about the Bible-belt groupies? Well, I can relate, I'm getting old, too, but anyway, here it is (from pg. 2 of this thread):
obviously I did say it, but the term is so unlike me, that is why I am shocked at myself. I still want to make it very clear, the Bible Belt groupies, as I put it, certainly wasn't the only reason we deicided not to persue the area. We would never base a decision on one issue.

Nita

Old 05-30-2009, 09:09 AM

Moderator cut: reference to deleted post

Having lived in Fort Smith, I can easily understand why hotair complains about it. It takes a certain kind of person to actually like the town. Its also difficult to get to know people there because they aren't real warm to outsiders.

Last edited by leorah; 06-01-2009 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: reference to deleted post

Old 05-30-2009, 09:53 AM

12,439 posts, read 9,954,066 times
Quote:
You think drunk driving check points are a bad thing?
Did I say that? No. I was giving cautionary advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or