Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:49 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,341,509 times

Advertisements

Clearwater, Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 12:31 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,185,054 times
One of the Chicago neighborhoods in Arizona or Nevada might fit.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:10 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,174,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagis1922 View Post
I am planning on retirement in a few years. While things can change, anyone out their who can convinice me that their town is the best? Don't want snow (presently in Chicago). I'll spend most summers in Chicago or Michigan. Want to be around friendly people, nice neighborhoods, not too expensive housing, good cost of living. Would appreciate your input.
hagis
and are you talking AR or just anywhere?

Nita

Old 07-10-2009, 10:54 PM

2,638 posts, read 5,999,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucymacy View Post
(I left Ft Smith about 11 years ago, but I lived in the area from '69 to '98)

-I remember A&W from years and years ago, but I don't remember exactly where it was. If they have one now, they've gotten it in the past 10 years and it's probably one of those combo places

-I also don't ever remember Ft Smith having a Whattaburger (unless it was before my time). When I was growing up, the closest Whattaburger I knew of was in Russellville. There were 2 World Burgers. One was on Towson Ave, the other on Hwy 271 (across from the old Dairy Queen that later became Bob & Ellie's, and is now something else).

-Can't answer the question about Sonic.

- Also can't answer about Ft Smith economically.

-We played outside and in the streets when I was a kid. (70's and early 80's). Late 80's was spent cruising Grand Ave. lol
I don't know any kids that play outside much if at all anymore.
About to say...I distinctly recall the A&W. I remember it was always closed, but the building was there. Don't remember the street, don't remember anything else...just that we always drove by it and it was always deserted. But the sign is forever burned into my head with how many times we drove by it. That would have been....oh...over 20 years ago, I imagine. But IT WAS THERE!! LOL...anyway, I remember it so well because as a kid I was always tempted to ask why root beer was so important that it deserved its own drive in, I didn't know at the time that they served food as well as drinks. And it WAS a drive in. Looked just like Sonic in a way, just...brown, and deserted. That's all I remember though. It was somewhere near my uncle's place, but I don't know streets.

Towson Ave sounds familiar, but I could never remember if it was Whata Burger or World Burger. I think it's Whata Burger, Google seems to agree with me.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:09 PM

World Burger is on Towson.

Worldburger Drive-In in 2806 Towson Ave, Fort Smith on Dine.com

Old 07-11-2009, 11:54 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,189,515 times
Here is an interesting article on Fort Smith that well describes the social and political climate their concerning the issue of homosexuality.

How Real Is 'Bruno'? The Ft. Smith Back Story | Newsweek Movies | Newsweek.com

Whether you agree with the lifestyle or not, this kind of stuff is shameful and is all too common in the Fort Smith area.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:16 PM

If you enjoy conservative family values, Fort Smith is there for you. If you want to express yourself and you are a homosexual, Eureka Springs awaits you with open arms.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:23 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,114,994 times
Eureka Springs-------- the San Francisco of Arkansas.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:30 PM

Here is a comment that Erin Fowler made on his facebook page after the Newsweek article was released:

"Although I stand by my statements made both in print and on TV, it was not my intention to make this city or area appear to be horrible or negative. Fort Smith, Arkansas is fine city, great for raising a family, going to school, a lower cost of living, and very historical. I personally have alot of pride for this town. WHAT I was trying to accomplish was to draw attention to a NATIONWIDE problem, that of homophobia."

Old 07-11-2009, 01:50 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,905,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
If you enjoy conservative family values, Fort Smith is there for you. If you want to express yourself and you are a homosexual, Eureka Springs awaits you with open arms.
Is hate a conservative family value? I have lived in all types of places and Fort Smith has some of the most hateful people that I have ever met.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas