Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 07:40 PM

28 posts, read 66,354 times

Advertisements

I'd like to get deep into those muddy woods of the Natioal Forest but I may not survive eating berries and roots. What's life like along 215.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 09:12 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,751,523 times
Well, I don't know what full-time life there is like, but Hwy 215 is absolutely beautiful.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:51 PM

From what I've seen I think the Ozark Forest is spectacular. I don't understand why more people haven't discovered the area. Colorado was developed by millionaires and so was New Mexico but Arknsas seems to be untouched. I don't get it. I'm missing something. Maybe clans in the region say outsiders aren't welcome.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:23 AM

Whoa, Baby bo Baby, these little communities are evidently too remote for even the local folks. I know I'd have big time difficulties in crowed bergs like Ozark, but perhaps the towns on 215 no longer exist.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneBramage View Post
Whoa, Baby bo Baby, these little communities are evidently too remote for even the local folks. I know I'd have big time difficulties in crowed bergs like Ozark, but perhaps the towns on 215 no longer exist.
Yep, Cass, Oark, and Fallsville (never been to Yale, I don't think) are still there....as a matter of fact, there is a bustling cafe (Oark General Store) there, and Turner Bend is close to Cass. There is also a little cafe/general store at Catalpa, which is even further into the wilderness than Oark. Another cute little town in the middle of nowhere, a little north of all that, is St. Paul.

Anywhere you go out there, it's beautiful.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:50 PM

40 Roger...I've heard about ST. Paul and there's a strong possibilty that's where I'll land. I wonder if Negra Modelo is available in the state? I bet St. Paul is mainly a tourist mecca but that's OK as long as there's no sirens, horns, barking dogs and car alarms 24/7.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneBramage View Post
40 Roger...I've heard about ST. Paul and there's a strong possibilty that's where I'll land. I wonder if Negra Modelo is available in the state? I bet St. Paul is mainly a tourist mecca but that's OK as long as there's no sirens, horns, barking dogs and car alarms 24/7.
LOL....St. Paul is far from a tourist mecca.

I don't think there's a place on earth to get away from barking dogs.

I wouldn't know anything about Negra whatever....that's why dry counties don't bother me at all.

I haven't quite figured you out....are your inquiries for real, or are you being sarcastic, or facetious, or just entertaining yourself?

Old 08-13-2010, 12:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,296 times
Default Oark is still there

I visited Oark Arkansas Tuesday August 10th and found the buttermilk pie at the Oark Cafe to be Yummy

Old 08-14-2010, 02:26 PM

23 posts, read 54,043 times
My parents have a cabin off of HWY 103 on top of the mountain between Harmony and Oark that I spend alot of time at, and I absolutely LOVE this part of Arkansas. Oark is one of those picturesque rural towns that will make you melt. The Oark general store is a hub for activity in the area and is the rural center for that part of AR as far as groceries and other amenities. There are lots of biker rides/meets there during the summer. The Catalpa general store is pretty cool too.. they have a restaurant there that fixes "country style" home cooked lunches and they are AMAZING. Their yeast rolls are the best. The paved road ends at catalpa and turns into a dirt county road that takes you to Ozone. Horsehead lake (close to HWY 103 & 164 intersection) and Wolf Pen (HWY 215 a few miles east of 103) are total gems of state parks that nobody really knows about. There is really nothing in Fallsville except an old tin barn and the quick-stop there.. which is owned by a complete LUNATIC! Guy's seriously off his rocker. They do have public use high speed internet there, though.

As far as full time life in this area.. it's really really slow and extremely laid back just like any other part of rural AR. The majority of the people who live up 103 work in Clarksville and commute back and forth every day. You will see alot of backwoods folks that look like they were cast to be in the movie Deliverance, but every person I've met is as nice as can be. If you stop and talk to them, be prepared to talk for an hour at least. You won't have to lock your doors and you won't have to worry about any crime.. because there is never any. Alot of locals have come to resent the boom in "tourism" in the area within the past decade because it draws in alot of outsiders with attitude and no respect.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:49 PM

111 posts, read 391,021 times
Is 215 that road that goes off east from 23 near the Mulberry? The road I am thinking of has some of the most incredible right-of-way work of any road going absolutely nowhere that I have ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas