U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 12:02 PM

30 posts, read 123,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Yes, you're right. I meant, I guess, that CV is not in a mountainous area. Is it? I've never been there, but I've never wanted to go to that part of Arkansas because it's not mountainous like the western part, especially the NW part.
With all due respect, please get your facts straight before you use a blanket statement about an area you now admit you've never even been to. That is unfair.

CV is in the foothills of the Ozarks and has magnificent views and scenery. As others have said, it is not at all like the flatlands in eastern Arkansas.

It amazes me that I have met people who have lived their entire lives in a state and have never been to many regions of it, and/or know very little general, basic information about the other regions of their state, except of course, for their own region. Strange. You should drive through the entire state in which you live. Everyone should. Give it a try sometime. You'll be amazed at how diverse Arkansas is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 04:18 PM

4,749 posts, read 6,164,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVer72529 View Post
With all due respect, please get your facts straight before you use a blanket statement about an area you now admit you've never even been to. That is unfair.

CV is in the foothills of the Ozarks and has magnificent views and scenery. As others have said, it is not at all like the flatlands in eastern Arkansas.

It amazes me that I have met people who have lived their entire lives in a state and have never been to many regions of it, and/or know very little general, basic information about the other regions of their state, except of course, for their own region. Strange. You should drive through the entire state in which you live. Everyone should. Give it a try sometime. You'll be amazed at how diverse Arkansas is.
I don't live in Arkansas, I just love it.

I've been all over the NW corner and River Valley (and have seen pictures of the areas around CV), and there is no comparison. WADR
(And actually, I remembered that I have been to the Mountain Home/Yellville area....it was just ok.....because I had already been to the other places!)

If I were able to take a vacation anywhere in Arkansas, I wouldn't even consider anywhere but the NW corner or River Valley, where Petit Jean and Mt. Nebo and Mt. Magazine are. They want to look at scenery, hence my recommendation.

Newton County is the most scenic county in Arkansas, IMO, and also the surrounding ones. Scenery everywhere!

Old 06-19-2009, 08:21 PM

620 posts, read 1,826,550 times
"Most scenic" leaves a lot of room for the other counties to be scenic as well, just not as scenic. Newton county tops my list of counties where a wide angle lens is mandatory.

If the measure of desirability is purely scenic though, there are quite a few counties in Arkansas that measure up. From Benton to Randolph on the Missouri border, and all counties [including and west of] West Lawrence, Independence, West White, Faulkner, Pulaski, northern parts of Saline, Hot Springs, Clark, Pike, Howard and Sevier. That's about 39 or 40 counties in all, each with its own very special scenery. And that list doesn't mention the scenic elements along Crowley's Ridge, a geographic oddity that reaches from Helena, Arkansas in the south to near St. Louis in the north, which splits Arkansas' alluvial plain.

Keep in mind that CV is only about 15 miles from Mammoth Springs on the Missouri border and nestled in some pretty rugged landscape formed by the Spring River. There's lots of scenery to enjoy there.

Also, while most of Fulton and Izard counties are gentle rolling hills, Izard county borders the White River in the SW with an abundance of strikingly beautiful rugged mountain terrain.

These pictures were taken there near Calico Rock, AR, which is SE of Mountain Home.

And due south of Mountain Home is some of the best scenery along the Buffalo National River, where the wilderness area is much wider than further up river. This picture was taken there at a place where the river bend forms the ducks neck before Rush.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:59 PM

82 posts, read 194,066 times
Absolutely breath-taking pics, BW!!!

Here's a cool link I found while doing research on AR after we bought our property (Sharp County) in June:

Physiographic Regions of Arkansas

And another (had to re-Google the first one and found this one):

Arkansas Regions

I like the first map better as it shows all of the counties.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

Old 08-23-2009, 07:04 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,363,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip-n-Bit View Post
Absolutely breath-taking pics, BW!!!

Here's a cool link I found while doing research on AR after we bought our property (Sharp County) in June:

Physiographic Regions of Arkansas

And another (had to re-Google the first one and found this one):

Arkansas Regions

I like the first map better as it shows all of the counties.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn
Cool links.

I liked the first one too. I clicked on the "plateau", in my neck of the woods, and yep, that's my neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas