U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 06:21 PM

627 posts, read 1,235,332 times
Default Russellville and/or Fort Smith Job Market

A family member of mine wants to go back to school to get a business degree. I told him that I thought Economics, Finance, or Accounting would be the best way to go. I know that those are the kinds of business jobs that are in Little Rock. I don't know about Russellville or Fort Smith, though.

Do you also think that one of these degrees would be best? And, if so, do you have any suggestions about what places have those types of jobs? I also told him I thought it'd be a good idea to take some Computer Science classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 06:38 PM

9,000 posts, read 8,606,975 times
In order of the "best" degree or rather which one will bring the most job prospects: Accounting, Economics, Finance. Finance and Economics could really be tied for second place...

I know Fort Smith has been battered with a lot of their manufacturing jobs being lost...Russellville is somewhat of a college town and there might be more job prospects there.

Why not consider Fayettville? I think Little Rock and Fayettville are the best places in terms of job prospects.

He could work at a bank, for the state, in a university (accounting department, financial aid if he majors in Finance), and just a general corporate office.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:57 PM

627 posts, read 1,235,332 times
Thanks, I didn't realize Fort Smith was having problems. Fayetteville might also be okay, I think it's a little further away from where he lives, but it might be something to consider. He sounded most interest in Economics, so maybe that would be a good way for him to go.

I wish they lived in Little Rock...I can think of several options or even recommend him for a job where I work. But they have a house in Northwest Arkansas and they're pretty much settled there.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:29 PM

11 posts, read 15,474 times
I don't know a whole lot about that specific type of job in Russellville, but the economy is healthy here. We have a lot of new construction projects going up, from what I can tell there's not been any massive layoffs anywhere, etc.

Russellville certainly doesn't have the type of white-collar jobs you'll find in LR or NWA, but as far as other Arkansas towns go, I would think it's better than most.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:02 PM

12,439 posts, read 5,417,432 times
My opinion, Accounting and then get a CPA license. Creates more opportunity. Little Rock is the best place for white collar jobs. Would not recommend Fort Smith.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:03 PM

Also, I know you did not ask but the health care industry is the best industry to be in right now.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:13 PM

1,466 posts, read 2,433,009 times
You don't want to come to Fort Smith with a business degree. UA - Fort Smith is churning out business students who can't get any work around here that pays more than $8 an hour.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:55 PM

110 posts, read 211,086 times
Get an engineering degree. If you are scared of math get an indutrial engineering degree. There are lots of interesting areas to work in and every university doesn't churn out thousands of them every year like they do business majors.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthog61 View Post
Get an engineering degree. If you are scared of math get an indutrial engineering degree. There are lots of interesting areas to work in and every university doesn't churn out thousands of them every year like they do business majors.
Not a bad idea. I think UA has an engineering program but Georgia Tech is the 7th ranked engineering school in the ENTIRE WORLD. Go Yellow Jackets! Sorry, had to throw that in.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:27 PM

1,466 posts, read 2,433,009 times
UA does have a good engineering program, and you can actually get the UA -Fayetteville Engineering degree through UA -Fort Smith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas