U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:48 PM

144 posts, read 488,654 times

Advertisements

Nita! Thank you! I wondered about working through the local temp agency. I willl get ahold of them this week. I appreciate your suggestion! I have never worked with a temp agency before and didn't really know much about it.

Other jobs I have applied for haven't even called for an interview, I have just received letters in the mail saying 'sorry, we hired another candidate. Reason-overqualified". It's frustrating because I would love to be their bank teller/tshirt folder/cashier or whatever just to get out and meet people!" Even for minimum wage! I would be happy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 08:00 PM

165 posts, read 455,236 times
As far as shopping, whenever I'm home I usually shop at Maurices (in that strip mall by Walmart), the Flashbacks store (in a renovated storage shed unit on 62 up kind of by Burger King), and, honestly, the Humane Society thrift store (not sure how to tell you how to get there, but I'm sure you could google it). I get a lot of compliments on clothes I get from there. If you want to go to an actual mall, Fayetteville is about 2 hours away, but I don't find much more here most of the time.

Shopping for jewelry is actually really fun in the MH area. I'm a total fiend when it comes to accessories. Try the White Mist of Cotter (have you been to Cotter? Go about 11 miles west on 62...it's gorgeous), any of the antique stores, any of the clothing stores I mentioned.

As far as restaurants, you know about all the chains I'm sure. Letty's in Gassville is pretty good Mexican food, Sodie's in Flippin is cute (and has lots of cute jewelry), Fred's Fish House, Freeze King in Gassville, and, my personal favorite, The Back Forty. Yes, it's named the Back Forty and lots of people you may not be used to (although I lived in Branson for awhile and saw lots of rednecks) but it's AMAZING food and a lot of fun.

The Trout Festival in Cotter is fun, ASUMH always has something going on, people at the local high schools LOVE their sports (MHHS football games are always a popular thing). The best way to find little stores and antique shops is really just to drive around. If you're willing to drive about 20 minutes, Yellville has a cute little square and the Turkey Trot festival (don't ask...it's kind of silly).

And you're overqualified for the area and the economy in the area...the only job I could get when I thought about moving back was with the movie theater I worked for for 6 years. But just keep trying, be flexible, and make sure people know that you want this job, you're not just looking for a filler til you find something better (even if you are). That's why they don't want to hire you.

I hate when these threads get negative...you just want to know what's going on in your new place. I'm about to move too, so let me know if you want any more info on the place I called home for 22 years.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:42 AM

69,352 posts, read 79,526,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajo View Post
Nita! Thank you! I wondered about working through the local temp agency. I willl get ahold of them this week. I appreciate your suggestion! I have never worked with a temp agency before and didn't really know much about it.

Other jobs I have applied for haven't even called for an interview, I have just received letters in the mail saying 'sorry, we hired another candidate. Reason-overqualified". It's frustrating because I would love to be their bank teller/tshirt folder/cashier or whatever just to get out and meet people!" Even for minimum wage! I would be happy!
We have been there, the over-qualified route and there is no way to get around it except as suggested don't put your education on the resume, but then you still have to list your experience. That in itself will be a clue. Remember the temp agencies do not pay well, at least you will be out of the house and get some to meet people.

Good luck.

Nita

Old 07-08-2009, 04:05 PM

64 posts, read 126,671 times
If Harrison is close enough, there are lots of thrift/resale/antique shops here if that's something you enjoy. Going to the main square in Harrison is a good place to start. I got a nice church dress for myself at one called "My Friend's Closet" which has a nice variety and good prices. There are also charity thrift shops with even better prices.

In your post above you mentioned driving all the way to Branson for things like jeans or sheets or curtains, but Walmart is where I buy all those things.

I just moved here and still learning my way around, but I'll make note of any "boutique" type places you might enjoy and post back later. I'd suggest getting together, but I'm one of those "Tea Party" types so we probably don't have much in common. But I'll still be on the lookout for nice shops to recommend.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 5,618 times
Well, I had typed out a lengthy response but it disapeared. I dont' have time to retype it all...
Church has been the best place for making friends to hang out with for us.
Some of the things I mentioned:
Fun stores: Rusticities, Nostalgia (both out toward the lake on 62 E great home stuff), Mtn Home Market in the shopping center by Chen's Garden chinese restaurant, Rock Bottoms (up the street from Pizza Hut on Commerce Dr this is an overstock type of store with bedding, bath etc), Christian Book outlet has great home stuff, Cato's, Ox Yoke Antiques also out 62E across from Pronto/Cranfield Rd, There is an antique mall out that way too that I can't think of the name of right now.
Email me at [EMAIL="copestersteph@yahoo.com"]copestersteph@yahoo.com[/EMAIL] I have lived her my entire life.

Food: House of Pizza & Buffalo Coffee in the shopping center by Walmart, Lucinda's Bistro on 9th St (awesome cheesecake), Anglers Coffee Shop down 5 South not too far out of town before the bypass,

Old 07-09-2009, 06:27 PM

I checked out Rusticities and Nostalgia today! Those are exactly the things I am looking for! Loved both of them! Nostalgia was not at ALL what I expected from the outside, they have some great pieces in there. Very hip! Also went to some antique mall (can't remember the name). It was okay, but with those places tomorrow could always bring something new and fun and even more exciting. I plan to hit up the Mtn. Home Market next time, it was getting late today. Have not noticed Rock Bottoms but will be looking for it as well. I appreciate all the suggestions! So helpful. I actually felt today, like I might be okay here The lady at Rusticities was very friendly and made me feel right at home! It's the little things that make you feel better when you move to somewhere new! Keep the suggestions coming! Looking forward to trying out some of the restaurants. There are lots of fast food and chain restaurants, but those are all the same. I love hearing about little hole in the wall or unique places. Lucindas will be my first one to try, cheesecake sounds yummy!

I guess I am spoiled from living in the the city all my life, but I have a hard time finding clothing and home items at Walmart. Im not to proud to shop there (I feel like I go there everyday) but I usually end up having to go somewhere else for clothing and home goods. I am coming to terms with not being able to find too much of that around here, but hey, atleast there is Maurices when I need something in a pinch!

Old 07-09-2009, 06:31 PM

PS You can be one of those "Tea Party" types and I will still like you, as long as you don't constantly stand and tell me about how bad liberals are. I usually don't tell people I am a democrat unless they just ask. I certainly have both respect for both sides (honestly, I am a more conservative liberal...on most issues). I was surprised to find today my neighbors across the street are in some democrat club though! Who knew. I figured I would be the only one when we moved here

Old 07-09-2009, 07:39 PM

69,352 posts, read 79,526,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajo View Post
PS You can be one of those "Tea Party" types and I will still like you, as long as you don't constantly stand and tell me about how bad liberals are. I usually don't tell people I am a democrat unless they just ask. I certainly have both respect for both sides (honestly, I am a more conservative liberal...on most issues). I was surprised to find today my neighbors across the street are in some democrat club though! Who knew. I figured I would be the only one when we moved here
oh heavens there are both parties everywhere and more democrats than republicans in AR by far. Yes, the state is conservative but still more registered democrats. By the way, not to change the subject, which I really am not, many of the "tea party" attendees are democrats. A lot of people do not realize that.

Nita

Old 07-15-2009, 12:03 PM

So I am pleased to report I have been trying out many of the suggestions here and have actually found some things I really enjoy! So if you have anymore, certainly send them my way! I even met the mayor, who was a very nice man with an onery side. Very welcoming! Im starting to like some things about Mountain Home. This is promising since 3 weeks ago I ordered a relocation guide from the top 50 largest US cities to use in planning my escape from Arkansas Maybe I won't need them afterall...

New question: We are having a huge group of family and friends come down next weekend to visit. They are staying a few days and we are going on a float trip and doing a few other good summer activities. However, the first day they get here (Friday) we were wanting to all go out to eat somewhere for dinner. I haven't eaten my way through all the suggestions yet so Im not sure the best place to take them. Some (husband's parents, grandparents, my best friend) are very laid back and would enjoy anywhere we suggested. Some (brother in law, sister in law) are very uppity and so I just want to make sure that we go somewhere that has good food, that won't completely disgust my bil and sil. I don't really care what they think but since they are going to be here several days, I don't want to have to hear about "that terrible place we ate" for the rest of their stay. And it must serve beer (again...BILs). It doesn't have to be a 5 star restaurant, just good food and a good laid back atmosphere. But a little nicer than McDonalds or anyplace that serves my food in a plastic basket??? A lady we met here recommended the Blu Pig...any comments about that? We haven't been yet but she said something about a deck and sometimes live music and such. I was hoping to try it out before then, but Im not sure if we will have time.

We could always fall back on Chili's or Colton's...but I was hoping to find a more local place. I want them to like it here, so they will want to come back and visit. I had to basically beg to get them to come here in the first place. They all wanted us to just drive to Joplin to visit them. However, this is where we live now so we were hoping to show off some great things about the area (lakes, etc) so that they will want to come back. Husband was hoping to have the family back for hunting season (My husband is falling in to his new Arkansas lifestyle ...he is already picking out guns. haha) but if they have an awful time, we won't see them again for the rest of our time here, unless we drive to them. So any and all suggestions welcome! Or if you know some type of activity we must do with them, please let me know so I can set it up! Thanks!

Old 07-15-2009, 01:22 PM

380 posts, read 815,295 times
Start with the chamber of commerce website : Mountain Home Area Chamber of Commerce. You'll find upcoming events (Music on the Square this weekend), a list of member, alphabetical by type of business. Look under Antiques, Restaurants, etc. for places to check out. Have you visited a beauty shop? In my experience the gals/guys in the salons know everythings about their towns!! Have a shampoo or manicure and collect information!

Don't assume that people over 60 have nothing in common with you. You might be surprised. I'm 68, and practice Yoga, jog, paint and draw, and enjoy all kinds of music including alternative styles. My granddaughter is younger than you are and she thinks I am fun to hang out with.

Funny, we looked at Mountain Home as a possible place to retire and decided it was too "bustling" a place for us. We chose a place much smaller, but nowhere near as pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas