U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 07:30 PM

69,336 posts, read 79,526,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajo View Post
So I am pleased to report I have been trying out many of the suggestions here and have actually found some things I really enjoy! So if you have anymore, certainly send them my way! I even met the mayor, who was a very nice man with an onery side. Very welcoming! Im starting to like some things about Mountain Home. This is promising since 3 weeks ago I ordered a relocation guide from the top 50 largest US cities to use in planning my escape from Arkansas Maybe I won't need them afterall...

New question: We are having a huge group of family and friends come down next weekend to visit. They are staying a few days and we are going on a float trip and doing a few other good summer activities. However, the first day they get here (Friday) we were wanting to all go out to eat somewhere for dinner. I haven't eaten my way through all the suggestions yet so Im not sure the best place to take them. Some (husband's parents, grandparents, my best friend) are very laid back and would enjoy anywhere we suggested. Some (brother in law, sister in law) are very uppity and so I just want to make sure that we go somewhere that has good food, that won't completely disgust my bil and sil. I don't really care what they think but since they are going to be here several days, I don't want to have to hear about "that terrible place we ate" for the rest of their stay. And it must serve beer (again...BILs). It doesn't have to be a 5 star restaurant, just good food and a good laid back atmosphere. But a little nicer than McDonalds or anyplace that serves my food in a plastic basket??? A lady we met here recommended the Blu Pig...any comments about that? We haven't been yet but she said something about a deck and sometimes live music and such. I was hoping to try it out before then, but Im not sure if we will have time.

We could always fall back on Chili's or Colton's...but I was hoping to find a more local place. I want them to like it here, so they will want to come back and visit. I had to basically beg to get them to come here in the first place. They all wanted us to just drive to Joplin to visit them. However, this is where we live now so we were hoping to show off some great things about the area (lakes, etc) so that they will want to come back. Husband was hoping to have the family back for hunting season (My husband is falling in to his new Arkansas lifestyle ...he is already picking out guns. haha) but if they have an awful time, we won't see them again for the rest of our time here, unless we drive to them. So any and all suggestions welcome! Or if you know some type of activity we must do with them, please let me know so I can set it up! Thanks!
Wow, I am glad you came on the board and some of us have been able to help you work through your unhappiness, at least to some degree. You may not ever think of Mountain Home or Ar as you home away from home, but you seem to be realizing, while you are here, there are ways to make this a positive experience.

I don't know what restaurants would work for you, but do find a local one, don't do the Chilis thing this time.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 10:38 PM

2 posts, read 7,295 times
go to [url=http://www.enjoymountainhome.com/]Mountain Home Area Chamber of Commerce[/url] hopefully that will help i live in a small in town in ar called Lamar so I feel your pain

Old 07-16-2009, 09:48 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajo View Post
We could always fall back on Chili's or Colton's...
Uhhhhh....no.

A little while back, I thought I was going to be in Mt. Home overnight, so I started looking online for a decent eatery. I was overwhelmed. There are a lot.

You have to remember, Mt. Home does a *huge* tourist trade in the summer, so there are many restaurant options in "resort' settings, with good menues.

Google is your friend.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:15 PM
pgc

1 posts, read 3,426 times
We like the Mexican Restaurant on 62, across from Harp's.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:55 PM

4 posts, read 13,404 times
Default Relocating as well

Hey I feel your pain about relocating. I've lived in three states in the last three years and am most likely going to do it again come October. To say that I'm excited about this one would be an understatement. I'd leave tomorrow if I could! LOL! I'm stuck in a podunk place in Arizona that has made me realise the TRUE meaning of small town. After losing 2 hours a day with my husband/best friend because of the insane commute to his work, having absolutely nothing to do in town, having only one car so I can't drive anywhere to go do anything in the next closest town, and being stuck home 24/7 with 2 boys under 2, I'm ready to move. Oh, and did I mention people here where I live in Arizona think it's okay to relieve one's bladder in the toddler park and encourage their kids (5 years old or so) to do so? LOL. Anyway civilization is sounding more than pleasant at this moment and one of the places my husband and I are scouting out is Mountain Home. One of my husband's coworkers suggested trying to get on with the Air Evac (Life Flight) there. After this last move I'm excited, but aprehensive about anywhere we go. I was excited when I read your post because you sound kind of similar to me. I'm in my early twenties, albiet I have two munchkins (which can make it hard trying to figure out where I fit in since most people my age either aren't married or don't have kids), but I do like to get out and enjoy things. I'm not a Hana Homemaker so the whole crafts thing doesn't really do much for me either. Anyway, I was just hoping to get some insight about what all you've discovered to do around there. Preferably family friendly things, because, like I said, I do have two little boys. So, I'd also welcome any info about events, things to do, the area itself and so forth. Also, this may be a wierd question, but are there sidewalks there? I grew up with them but it's suprising how many places don't have them.

Last edited by commonredtailedhawk; 08-07-2009 at 09:25 PM..

Old 08-07-2009, 10:04 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,095,804 times
Every state seems to have different criteria concerning "Continuing Education" standards for out-ot-state teachers. You might want to check with the Arkansas board of education and see if you need extra ??? before you can work. With a university nearby you will be able to easily catch up if need be. http://arkansased.org/

Some states offer a temporary teaching certificate good anywhere in the state for two years. It allows you to work while you go to school for the continuing education required by the state. Arkansas may also offer same. .

I lived not far from Joplin. Rural areas are wonderful once you understand life is slower and less complicated. If you have great neighbors enjoy it. You'll be surprised what you can learn from someone 3x older than you.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:55 AM

165 posts, read 455,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by commonredtailedhawk View Post
Hey I feel your pain about relocating. I've lived in three states in the last three years and am most likely going to do it again come October. To say that I'm excited about this one would be an understatement. I'd leave tomorrow if I could! LOL! I'm stuck in a podunk place in Arizona that has made me realise the TRUE meaning of small town. After losing 2 hours a day with my husband/best friend because of the insane commute to his work, having absolutely nothing to do in town, having only one car so I can't drive anywhere to go do anything in the next closest town, and being stuck home 24/7 with 2 boys under 2, I'm ready to move. Oh, and did I mention people here where I live in Arizona think it's okay to relieve one's bladder in the toddler park and encourage their kids (5 years old or so) to do so? LOL. Anyway civilization is sounding more than pleasant at this moment and one of the places my husband and I are scouting out is Mountain Home. One of my husband's coworkers suggested trying to get on with the Air Evac (Life Flight) there. After this last move I'm excited, but aprehensive about anywhere we go. I was excited when I read your post because you sound kind of similar to me. I'm in my early twenties, albiet I have two munchkins (which can make it hard trying to figure out where I fit in since most people my age either aren't married or don't have kids), but I do like to get out and enjoy things. I'm not a Hana Homemaker so the whole crafts thing doesn't really do much for me either. Anyway, I was just hoping to get some insight about what all you've discovered to do around there. Preferably family friendly things, because, like I said, I do have two little boys. So, I'd also welcome any info about events, things to do, the area itself and so forth. Also, this may be a wierd question, but are there sidewalks there? I grew up with them but it's suprising how many places don't have them.
I'm 24, and a good 85% of the people I know my age in that area have kids. So you definitely won't be alone in that. People in MH are just like anywhere else, but I've never seen anyone doing anything weird in the park. That's gross.

As for sidewalks, most of the main streets have them, and the side streets that don't are pretty safe to walk on the street. Outside my grandparents' house, there is no sidewalk, but my brothers and I used to play baseball in the street. I think we had to move for a car like 10 times total. Good luck, and let me know if you have any more questions!

Old 08-08-2009, 03:17 PM

So Ladybug35, what's this tea party thing that has been mentioned a few times in this thread? Is it a literal tea party or like a reenactment of the Boston tea party or something along those lines? I was a little confused because someone mentioned politics and can't figure out what that has to do with tea parties. I've heard people mention that there are festivals and such in the area, do you have an examples? I love experiencing the diversity offered by new places and just wondering what's out there, you know? So, you said that you're 24, what sort of things do you and your friends do for fun in the area? I'm not a drinker and I don't smoke so bars just wouldn't do anything for me, but I do enjoy dancing, hanging out in the outdoors (whether it's hiking, going for long walks, or playing basketball), bowling, playing pool, reading (I'm a bookaholic), along with a dozen other things. What sort of things like that are available? I kind of need to keep it cheap though. Still trying to pay off school loans and whatnot. lol. Are there random other things like fencing (sword fighting. I used to watch my cousin do rapier fencing [thicker blades] and got a kick out of it), painting, yoga, or self defense classes available for fairly reasonable prices? Do you know? I took a self-defense class my last semester at college (way back when I had money, lol) and loved it, but I just haven't had the money or found a class that was flexible enough for my schedule...okay flexible enough to match my husband set schedule so that he can have some father-son time and I can have some me time. What about writing groups? Do you know of any? Also the college/colleges in the area, are they expensive? Sorry, I mean to only ask one question and end up asking twenty! What can I say? I'm a gomer. Well, that and I like to be thorough in my investigation of any given location. Anyways, I'll shut up now and let someone else post a comment.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:20 PM

Good to know that if I moved to Mt Home people wouldn't think I was bizarre for being lucky enough to find my husband early in life and starting a family.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:07 PM

I'm a little concerned. I read another strand in which several people were going on about the "dang yankees". Is being an outsider really that frowned upon? I don't hunt, but I don't mind if other people do. I do enjoy meat after all. I'm just far too soft hearted to kill anything myself. I love fish as well, but I would have to be starving before I could kill or gut a fish myself. Would that get me looked down on? Also, lol, do people really walk around with their kill's blood on their pants? Like on a regular basis? lol. I'm just curious because of another mountain home thread I read. I wouldn't want to move to a place that would be unfriendly. That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas