U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 05:47 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,086,443 times

Advertisements

All small towns are primitive in the services they do not offer, and/or clannish to the extent they "don't want any outsider trying to change the way of life (kids, school, guns, dogs, wives, etc.) they enjoyed for 250 years". It's a ignorant to try. As an example. Albertson's grocery store giant decided to change what "shoppers" bought and what they ate in SW Missouri. They started by buying Smitty's - a store I shopped for 25 years.

With a mother who lived in NM and a daughter in SoCal, I was quite familiar with Albertson's store policy and products. This company made a terrible decision when they decided to go head to head with Sam Walton. They tossed out all the Jewish products purchased by a large Jewish community. Albertson's then proceeded to try to offer customers chorizo, rice and frijoles by removing name brand foods from the shelves and replacing it with store brands and cans labeled in Mexico. If you live and hunt in deer country, and raise a vegetable garden you don't waste money on imported food. I do not recall the store lasted two years. The moral of the story is if you want to introduce new ideas take your time, say 25 years; give folks a chance to know you. Aterall, Rome wasn't built in a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 06:19 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,359,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by commonredtailedhawk View Post
do people really walk around with their kill's blood on their pants? Like on a regular basis?
Yes, we don't consider either pants or boots disposable.

No, not on a regular basis, usually not on Sunday.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:02 PM

165 posts, read 455,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by commonredtailedhawk View Post
So Ladybug35, what's this tea party thing that has been mentioned a few times in this thread? Is it a literal tea party or like a reenactment of the Boston tea party or something along those lines? I was a little confused because someone mentioned politics and can't figure out what that has to do with tea parties. I've heard people mention that there are festivals and such in the area, do you have an examples? I love experiencing the diversity offered by new places and just wondering what's out there, you know? So, you said that you're 24, what sort of things do you and your friends do for fun in the area? I'm not a drinker and I don't smoke so bars just wouldn't do anything for me, but I do enjoy dancing, hanging out in the outdoors (whether it's hiking, going for long walks, or playing basketball), bowling, playing pool, reading (I'm a bookaholic), along with a dozen other things. What sort of things like that are available? I kind of need to keep it cheap though. Still trying to pay off school loans and whatnot. lol. Are there random other things like fencing (sword fighting. I used to watch my cousin do rapier fencing [thicker blades] and got a kick out of it), painting, yoga, or self defense classes available for fairly reasonable prices? Do you know? I took a self-defense class my last semester at college (way back when I had money, lol) and loved it, but I just haven't had the money or found a class that was flexible enough for my schedule...okay flexible enough to match my husband set schedule so that he can have some father-son time and I can have some me time. What about writing groups? Do you know of any? Also the college/colleges in the area, are they expensive? Sorry, I mean to only ask one question and end up asking twenty! What can I say? I'm a gomer. Well, that and I like to be thorough in my investigation of any given location. Anyways, I'll shut up now and let someone else post a comment.
When I'm back home, we usually go to the lake or float the river (White or Buffalo), go hiking, go out and eat, go see movies, things like that. The public library in MH is actually really good, and I'm a bookworm too...you would enjoy that. The library at the University isn't bad, but it's geared more towards what majors they have. I know that MH has painting and craft stuff all the time, my mom is an artist and she goes to a painting class every once in awhile, but I'm not sure how organized most of that stuff is. Bulletin boards at the library and ASUMH, plus the newspaper, should have things like that in it. ASUMH, as far as I know, is not that expensive. It's a branch of Arkansas State based in Jonesboro, and a lot of people I know went there. They may have a writing group, and I know that the library has several reading programs throughout the year. Also, I don't know if this would interest you, but there are volunteer opportunities EVERYWHERE in MH. I volunteered at so many things...it's a great way to meet people!

Also, no, we don't walk around with blood from "the kill" on ourselves all the time...not everyone hunts in MH and even if they do, they're just normal people.

Last edited by linicx; 08-09-2009 at 09:44 PM..

Old 08-11-2009, 04:17 PM

3 posts, read 7,945 times
Default mountain home

I did not read pages 3, 4 so if this is a repeat please forgive. Sometime before the end of summer or in the fall, you and your husband need to go stay in Eureka Springs, ar. It is a wonderful swiss type Arkansas town with a lot of charm. Quite a good music scene, especially in Basin park, next to the basin park hotel. There is a website that has a calender of activities and when they are happening. Lots of small mom and pop shopping total small tourist town with too much to do you will Love it. eurekasprings.org
Visit Bull Shoals State park close to mtn. home and go for walks. Also cotter city park. I'm an outdoorsey person so everything i think of is outdoors.
Also what about being a teacher[professor at the local college in mtn. home.

Last edited by ccava; 08-11-2009 at 04:40 PM..

Old 08-12-2009, 10:16 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,086,443 times
Default Do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajo View Post
My husband was relocated to Mountain Home, Arkansas. We had no choice in the matter, so we are now trying to make the best of it. We are a young couple (mid twenties)...what is there to do around here? Obviously the lakes, but my husband works a lot and I don't really feel comfortable going alone (not familiar with the area yet). Everyone always tells us "hunting, fishing, camping..." but we aren't really in to that kind of thing. We previously lived in medium sized city out of state with lots to do. I know there has to be something to do around here, so help me out! We are renting a house for now and we are kind of far out (atleast I feel like we live in the middle of nothing). All of our neighbors are in the over 60 crowd. They are nice! They just do not share any common interests with us. HELP!
Do you mind driving? Springfiled, MO is about 25 miles North of Branson. They have huge mall on Sunshine and Glenstone Streets.. Exit I-65 onto Sunshine and go west. 3-4 All around the mall between Kansas Expressway on the West and I=65 on the east is tons of shopping, dining, grocery stores and just about anything else you want.

Another suggestion is Fayetteville. Take 412 West ot I-71 and go south 20 miles or so. It's east of Tontitown, an Italian village. Fayetteville has a nice mall, but it is no where near as large as the one in Springfield.

If you want to shop in a more arty area, try Eureka Springs. It is not like anything you have seen before IF you have not been here. Park and take the trolley all over town. It is built like a Swiss village into the side of the mountain.

IF you want to go a little farther west and do something entirely different grab your camera and head to the Pelican Festival, the last weekend in August at Grove, OK. Take 412 West to US 59 at Ljttle Kansas, OK. Go North about 30 miles. You'll find the art museum, Lake cruises, lots of food. They often bring the raptors and Petey the Pelican.. birds that were previously injured and cannot be returned to the wild. You might find a Civil War encampment. It is entirely different. I never tired of it. Go early and stay late. They used to offer duck rides in a land/water vehicle. It was fun too.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:35 AM

9 posts, read 17,897 times
mod edit: Off topic

Last edited by linicx; 08-13-2009 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: Rude and language

Old 08-13-2009, 05:07 AM

69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Mod Edit: Orphan post.

Last edited by linicx; 08-13-2009 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: Previous post deleted.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:37 AM

10,183 posts, read 10,546,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by copestersteph View Post
Well, I had typed out a lengthy response but it disapeared. I dont' have time to retype it all...
Always copy and paste your posts to an email before hitting the "submit" key. I learned that the hard way!

Old 08-15-2009, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,555 times
I lived in Mountain Home for 2 years while I went to school (just moved away a month ago). I felt the same way about the shopping. I was used to having 5+ Office depots (I like to shop for computer and electronics, rather than clothes and home decor) within 30 minutes of my home. I was very involved with clubs at school, but my mom felt she had nothing to do. Harrison has a JCPenny's (I think that's the closest mall type store other than in Branson). We would take daylong trips to Springfield, MO or Springdale, AR once a month or when we felt like it (shop, visit the IRS, etc...in one day). As for bars/clubs, I never went, but I know the Brick Yard (I think it has dancing and sometimes cage fighting) is located down Cranfield road (east of Walmart off 62) and there is another bar I think called 56?? or something down 62 that way also. Other than that, you can join the Walmart parking lot club, although it looked like it was turning into the Harps parking lot club lately (but thats probably a little to juvinile for you).

Good luck

Old 08-15-2009, 11:02 AM

69,306 posts, read 79,490,574 times
I wish the OP would come back and let us know how things are going. She did at first. Sometimes given a few months things start looking better.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas