U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 04:41 PM

678 posts, read 1,449,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Heh....

Never fails.

"Let's make it just like the place we fled from, Madge!"
Yeah... that's an annoying type of mindset, and in the case of Mountain Home, an inaccurate one. The city is already the most imported in the state of Arkansas population wise, and most of it is from the midwest/north- if it were going to experience a major political shift, it seems like it would have done it by now. Muzzypat, I am glad you enjoy Mtn. Home overall, but you chose to move there and you probably knew what you were getting into, mindset wise. Don't expect it to change anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 03:00 PM

10,157 posts, read 9,954,815 times
No matter what age are or where you are at. When you are down and hurting or depressed just look around and you will see someone in worse shape than you are. Do some volunteer work or just a few unspoken good deeds and you will start to feel better. Small towns take a year or so to get used to sometimes and it takes awhile for the locals to accept you.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:15 PM

5 posts, read 8,086 times
Mountain Home sucks. I was born in Mountain Home and currently live here. There is nothing to do if it isn't summer. Republican, churches own the town. No diversity. Nowhere to shop, nowhere good to eat. If you sneeze on one side of town, it is front page news by the next day. Even skilled workers have trouble making any money here. The home prices are outragous compared with the rest of the state and the market the way it is.
I guess you can tell I miss Northwest Arkansas...
One side note- Red, White, and Blue is actually the best firework display I have ever seen in my life. Kicks Disney's butt.
Other than that, it's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't suggest living here.
Unless you're 70, then it might be just what you are looking for.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:05 PM

678 posts, read 1,449,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jRNr73 View Post
Mountain Home sucks. I was born in Mountain Home and currently live here. There is nothing to do if it isn't summer. Republican, churches own the town. No diversity. Nowhere to shop, nowhere good to eat. If you sneeze on one side of town, it is front page news by the next day. Even skilled workers have trouble making any money here. The home prices are outragous compared with the rest of the state and the market the way it is.
One side note- Red, White, and Blue is actually the best firework display I have ever seen in my life. Kicks Disney's butt.
At least you provided some reasons for your views, but having lived in Mtn. Home, NWA, and Little Rock, I disagree with you on quite a few of your views. Don't get me wrong- Mtn. Home is a small town with a large elderly population and it feels that way, but it actually has a lot more to offer in the realm of retail, dining, and activity than most towns of 10-15,000. I've said these things before so I won't recount all of it, but even aside from the lakes and parks around the area, Mtn. Home feels and functions as a larger town than it is, and wouldn't have several of the stores or multiple movie theaters/bowling alleys/golf courses/restaurants if it didn't. I don't think it's an ideal place for a young adult to live as there is very little nightlife (and what there is isn't exactly classy) and there aren't many businesses in town aimed at that demographic, but the area itself is definitely a good place for families and retirees. Home prices are actually very low, especially compared to NWA. Sure, it's going to cost you if you want to live at Big Creek or some of the higher end subdivisions, but that reflects that there is a large group of relatively wealthy retirees and professionals there, and those houses are still a relative bargain compared to what they'd command in NWA or L.R. More middle class homes are very reasonable, and I say this as someone who's been house shopping in all three areas. The job market is a bit complicated, but once again, far better than most cities that size. There is a larger industry segment (I won't argue with you on pay outside of possibly Baxter though) than you'd expect, and the hospital and healthcare industry there employ far more than most towns that size as well. Mtn. Home certainly needs to focus on job creation and luring new employment to the area to support future growth and provide incentive for young adults and professionals to stay, but compared to the many other towns that size I've had experience with, you don't realize how good you have it in Mtn. Home.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:39 PM

9 posts, read 17,972 times
As stated as before, yes Mountain Home can suck, but what city doesn't have its pros and cons? Arkansas itself has its issues, and yes I have lived in the area for over 18 years and still don't like it, but yet it has some good things. Mountain home in general is full of way to many retired people. Plus northerners come down here for cheaper prices, and drive out others with their prices and everything raises, while our wages stay the same. Job market sucks, but tell me where it doesn't? The economy of Mountain Home is dieing in my opinion. All you hear or read is how people are moving there, but what about people leaving? I have herd and listen to many complaining about this city, and are trying to sell to get out. But on the other hand, it is a nice area in the spring and summer. The lakes and rivers can bring many adventures for families. Yes, there are places to go elsewhere, but you have to drive over 2 hours in each direction to get to any of them. The town needs more competition to drive prices back down and keep residents spending money within the city. Just my two cents!

Old 03-16-2011, 06:40 PM

12 posts, read 31,199 times
Default MOuntain Home

We moved to Mountain Home in Dec. We are northerners and yes we want to retire here because it is more economical here to do so. My husband retired after 25 years in the miliraty and he deserves to relax. We enjoy and love the mountains since we both were from the mountains up north. We moved here from Texas from a small po-dunk border town where to our surprise the taxes were very high and just went up again. The mountains, lakes and riveres are more up our alley. We like small....hate cities. In Texas if we wanted to go to a big town/city it was a 3 hr drive. Not much around there. Like said, every town has it's pro's and cons. The job market here is like it is in Texas where we were. I wouldn't blame it all on the town though. This town is classified as a retirement/vacation town and we knew that before we came here and that was fine with us. We live out in the country so when it gets busy in town it really won't affect us too much. This town has a lot more to offer than where we came from. Can't wait to see it in the Spring and Summer. If people leave I would like to know where they go that is more economical. Only my opinion.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:16 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,627,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jRNr73 View Post
You don't have to like mountain home. I've been there several times. There are roads leading in and roads leading out of mountain home. Use your feet and leave. If it's diversity you seek I suggest california. The inhabitants there tell me it's heaven.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:20 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,627,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
No matter what age are or where you are at. When you are down and hurting or depressed just look around and you will see someone in worse shape than you are. Do some volunteer work or just a few unspoken good deeds and you will start to feel better. Small towns take a year or so to get used to sometimes and it takes awhile for the locals to accept you.
You should be honest. The locals there will never accept them as long as they're dedicated to changing the place to resemble those places they left up north.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:22 AM

5,217 posts, read 4,229,860 times
I'd sell my soul to get a job location to this area. We hope to retire there someday. Cost of living is low, the restaurants are great, the camping and nature are incredible, fishing is world class on the White River, and the people are friendlier than family members are in New England.

Thank God he didn't get moved to Exeter, NH, where property taxes on a regular house amount to $13,600 a year and continue to increase by 10% every 6 months, where heating is required September through June and often in summer, costing around $600 a month if your house is small, and where most of the summer if you don't pay for heat you need air conditioning.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:16 AM

12 posts, read 31,199 times
We are not 70 and not quite 50. I guess everyone has a preference. If you are young and like the nightlife than maybe this isn't the place for you. We happen to like the quite. We don't pay attention to the happenings unless it effects us directly. The housing market is a lot better here than in Texas where we came from. We had a house on a little more than 1/2 acre and the taxes were a lot more than the house taxes and personal property together. We could never afford to retire in Texas where we were. Here we can. We never go out to each much but once and a while we like to treat ourselves. We are not that picky. Going somewhere that takes a bit of a drive is something to do other than working around the house. We go out on the boat, river fish, ride the motorcycles and 4 wheelers any chance we get. There is a variety here we like. Small towns will usually get outsiders in trying to change things for the better and give people more options than what they had. It doesn't matter where you live jobs will always suck. If you want a good paying job go to a bigger city. I don't think it sucks here at all. If jobs paid good here I would think the cost of living will also go up. Either way someone will complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas