U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:34 AM

144 posts, read 489,485 times

Advertisements

My husband was relocated to Mountain Home, Arkansas. We had no choice in the matter, so we are now trying to make the best of it. We are a young couple (mid twenties)...what is there to do around here? Obviously the lakes, but my husband works a lot and I don't really feel comfortable going alone (not familiar with the area yet). Everyone always tells us "hunting, fishing, camping..." but we aren't really in to that kind of thing. We previously lived in medium sized city out of state with lots to do. I know there has to be something to do around here, so help me out! We are renting a house for now and we are kind of far out (atleast I feel like we live in the middle of nothing). All of our neighbors are in the over 60 crowd. They are nice! They just do not share any common interests with us. HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 10:53 AM

39,092 posts, read 23,248,048 times
What are your interests?

It's always difficult to adjust to someplace new, especially a place that's very different from what you're accustomed to.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:38 PM

165 posts, read 456,509 times
I grew up in MH, and now I'm in my mid-twenties. Like was said, it kind of depends on your interests.

The Baxter County Library is a great resource and they have lots of programming.
ASUMH has classes and a pretty decent library.
One of the movie theaters is very nice (I used to work there, the one over on Cooper Estates Drive)

Also, just try meeting some people around your age. Most of the people I graduated with are either in jail or have several children or moved away, but there is still a pretty sizable crowd of people our age there that aren't bad. I was never bored when I lived there, but I'm a huge book nerd and participated in a lot of activities. Good luck!

Old 06-25-2009, 09:44 PM

165 posts, read 458,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajo View Post
My husband was relocated to Mountain Home, Arkansas. We had no choice in the matter, so we are now trying to make the best of it. We are a young couple (mid twenties)...what is there to do around here? Obviously the lakes, but my husband works a lot and I don't really feel comfortable going alone (not familiar with the area yet). Everyone always tells us "hunting, fishing, camping..." but we aren't really in to that kind of thing. We previously lived in medium sized city out of state with lots to do. I know there has to be something to do around here, so help me out! We are renting a house for now and we are kind of far out (atleast I feel like we live in the middle of nothing). All of our neighbors are in the over 60 crowd. They are nice! They just do not share any common interests with us. HELP!
You've been relocated to one of the most beautiful parts of the state ... if not the entire country.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:20 AM

39,092 posts, read 23,248,048 times
Melissajo, are you participating in the Red, White and Blue Festival this weekend in Mountain Home? Have you attended any of the Music on the Square shows? Folk music might not be your cup of tea, but it is a foundation for a lot of the more mainstream music such as rock or country music. Have you checked with ASU about taking some classes? The Baxter County library has an excellent reputation, I'm sure they have book clubs. I know there are many craftspeople in the area, and frequent workshops. Have you ever considered taking up a hobby such as quilting? I think ASU offers a digital photography class. Living in Mountain Home is such a wonderful opportunity to take some fantastic pictures!

Old 06-26-2009, 10:33 AM

69,531 posts, read 79,802,013 times
Quote:
Melissa, I know how you feel, we have only lived one place in our lives where we felt totally out of our element. Only you can help yourself. How long will you be in Mountain Home, is this a perm move or just temporary?

You can find lots of good if you change your attitude a little and try to enjoy some of the things you think you are not into..Never tried them? How do you really know? I will suggest the usual things, take it for what they are worth: 1-join a church and or 2-get involved in your political party if you have one. Are you working, if not, try to find a part time job, that will, at least help you meet people your age.

You say you don't like the activities that are offered, what do you like? Maybe you can find say, a jogging group for instance..

It will be possible to find something that will help you see how lucky you are to live in MH, at least for now, but you may have to really look..

Nita

Old 07-07-2009, 04:16 PM

We have no idea how long we will be here. Anywhere from a year to five years. We certainly are trying to make the best of it, though we are completely out of our element. I grew up in KC and went to college in Joplin, MO. I am used to the amenities a larger city has to offer (shopping, great restaurants, nightlife, ymca, etc). I have a bachlor's degree in education and worked as an elementary teacher in Missouri. However, my husband was relocated too late for me to get certified and apply for jobs in Arkansas so I have to take a year off. In the mean time, I have applied for any little jobs I can find (part time bank, retail, etc) hoping to get out and meet people, but am constantly told I am "over qualified" because of my degree. But I am hopeful something will turn up! However, it's hard to meet people! My husband isn't allowed to socialize with his employees so we can't meet people at his job. I had no idea about any of those festivals that were mentioned. My husband was sent here the end of April, but I have barely been here a month. I did see that there was a Tea Party last weekend, but I'm a liberal...so that wouldn't have been so fun. It seems liberals are few and far between around here. As for like quilting and crafting...so not my thing. I am terrible at stuff like that. I am more the person who buys the items someone else made. It usually costs me less and looks better that way!

I am looking for restaurant suggestions, fun places in town to go, cute shops, bars,etc. I am not posting to be neg. towards Mountain Home. People love it here so it must have something to offer. I am just looking for some advice on how to find the good! So far the only people I have really met are in the over 65 range (though very nice people!) and their interests are a lot different than ours (being in our mid twenties) so I was just looking for more suggestions about the area.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:29 PM

15,575 posts, read 29,341,867 times
Quote:
We have no idea how long we will be here. Anywhere from a year to five years. We certainly are trying to make the best of it, though we are completely out of our element. I grew up in KC and went to college in Joplin, MO. I am used to the amenities a larger city has to offer (shopping, great restaurants, nightlife, ymca, etc). I have a bachlor's degree in education and worked as an elementary teacher in Missouri. However, my husband was relocated too late for me to get certified and apply for jobs in Arkansas so I have to take a year off. In the mean time, I have applied for any little jobs I can find (part time bank, retail, etc) hoping to get out and meet people, but am constantly told I am "over qualified" because of my degree. But I am hopeful something will turn up! However, it's hard to meet people! My husband isn't allowed to socialize with his employees so we can't meet people at his job. I had no idea about any of those festivals that were mentioned. My husband was sent here the end of April, but I have barely been here a month.

I am looking for restaurant suggestions, fun places in town to go, cute shops, bars,etc. I am not posting to be neg. towards Mountain Home. People love it here so it must have something to offer. I am just looking for some advice on how to find the good! So far the only people I have really met are in the over 65 range (though very nice people!) and their interests are a lot different than ours (being in our mid twenties) so I was just looking for more suggestions about the area.
If people are constantly telling you that you are overqualified, then I would not include my college education in the resume. If you are using the *same* resume for any job, then you need to understand that tailoring a resume is a very important aspect of finding the right job.

As for Mountain Home, I have not been there myself, but I know that people drive for HUNDREDS of miles to go there on vacation, so it must have *SOMETHING* going for it.

You might consider joining some local clubs and organizations (I'm sure they have a local group of Democrats that meet from time to time). Get involved with your local business women's groups. They are usually younger, smarter, and more "worldly".

There is a chapter of the Arkansas State University there in Mt. Home so I'm sure there are spots where the college crowd goes to get blotto on a regular basis. Surely, there is a music scene associated with that demographic.

As for shopping. What does it matter? Every town you go to these days has the EXACT SAME STORES in it. I'm sure that the Outlet Mall or the Village Mall has the prerequisite number of boring stores that will soothe your shopping angst. It all looks the same and is made in China anyway.

As I am sure someone here has mentioned (I have not read all the replies), the Ozark Folk Center State Park is near by and they have a wealth of wonderful festivals throughout the year.

Keep in mind that you HAVE only been there a month, and it takes time to find out what is going on and to meet people anywhere you go. Keep trying.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-07-2009, 08:21 PM

69,531 posts, read 79,802,013 times
Quote:
We have no idea how long we will be here. Anywhere from a year to five years. We certainly are trying to make the best of it, though we are completely out of our element. I grew up in KC and went to college in Joplin, MO. I am used to the amenities a larger city has to offer (shopping, great restaurants, nightlife, ymca, etc). I have a bachlor's degree in education and worked as an elementary teacher in Missouri. However, my husband was relocated too late for me to get certified and apply for jobs in Arkansas so I have to take a year off. In the mean time, I have applied for any little jobs I can find (part time bank, retail, etc) hoping to get out and meet people, but am constantly told I am "over qualified" because of my degree. But I am hopeful something will turn up! However, it's hard to meet people! My husband isn't allowed to socialize with his employees so we can't meet people at his job. I had no idea about any of those festivals that were mentioned. My husband was sent here the end of April, but I have barely been here a month. I did see that there was a Tea Party last weekend, but I'm a liberal...so that wouldn't have been so fun. It seems liberals are few and far between around here. As for like quilting and crafting...so not my thing. I am terrible at stuff like that. I am more the person who buys the items someone else made. It usually costs me less and looks better that way!

My granddaughter after graduating also found it hard to find a job, even teaching so she worked through a temp agency. NO one will tell you about being over qualified unless you come across as thinking you are a little better than someone else. Those agencies are anxious to place everyone and it is a great place to meet other people plus sometimes they work into full time jobs.

Nita

Old 07-07-2009, 08:26 PM

This post has turned a little rude. I am not trying to be negitive. Lots of people my age like the same things. I am simply asking for suggestions for where to do them now that I live 5 hours from all that I have ever known. Shopping matters because I enjoy it. I am at a loss in Mountain Home because there isn't even a mall here. We have Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, and few others. I was hoping maybe someone would suggest some little "mom and pop" type place that sells home items or a great antique store to check out or something to compensate for the lack of a mall or shopping center within two hours. If you haven't been to Mountain Home, you don't realize there is not a mall. The Village Mall is actually an empty mall (Tri Lakes something) that is under construction but has no actual stores or openings currently planned. If I want a pair of jeans or new sheets or curtains or whatever it may be, I have to drive 1.5-2 hours (depending on traffic) to Branson. I was hoping someone might suggest somewhere else that I could try in Mountain Home or Harrison of the surrounding area (that I know nothing about).

Local hole in the wall restaurants that you enjoy? Annual festival that I should be sure to catch? Best place to go to watch a sporting event? Best local coffee shop? Locals, please fill me in! I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas