Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 01:12 PM

206 posts, read 439,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Being on the losing side has apparently brought on a lot of insecurity and hostility, I suppose. But I hear ya. Lived in Arkansas myself for 8 years and heard a lot of baseless "Yankee bashing." Does that road go both ways? Sure. I think some of the hostility towards southerners today eminates from the south's rise in political prominence/power. But accents and religion aside, I don't know that there's that much difference between north and south. I've had plenty of bland food south of the M-D, and northerners may appear more reserved, some of that "friendliness" of the south is just there to mask back-stabbing gossipiness. The greater rift in this country is between urban and rural, not north and south, IMO.
What part of Arkansas did you live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
totally right! i am a southerner born and bred, but moved up northeast to go to University and stayed for 20 years. the bashing was in your face. they acted as if they were superior esp attacking the food and our values and church. funny, i am african american, and they were afraid to attack the blacks but they attacked black culture and southern foods like grits, blues, catfish, accents---.
I think maybe you misinterpreted them. People in the North are not afraid of skin color and lots of people in the North love Southern food as much as all ethnic food. I think that is a stereotypical viewpoint. I see people based on their moral character, not on where they are from. There's good and bad every where.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:25 PM

570 posts, read 1,583,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceChild View Post
Originally from the North. Over the years I have been on countless web sites and been to many places in Arkansas. I still don't get why so many people in the South want to trash people from the North? Is this a Civil War thing or what? I thought that war was over a long time ago.
The Civil War will never be over.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:26 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
We used to have a bumper sticker:

Don't like Texas?

Take I-30 East.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:42 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
Quote:
Aren't you originally from NW Indiana?? I've seen you lurking on that board.

You damn Yankee.
Went to high school in Gary! Born in Bolivar Tennessee!!!!!!!!!!! And if you you call me a Yankee again I will zap you with my " May all your grandkids be born with Jethros appetite" spell!

Old 06-26-2009, 01:42 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I can sorta understand it.Look what happened to Florida with all the Yankees lol
People from up north move down south to buy "Cheap Houses" and..
End up creating more traffic,higher housing prices,change the culture,etc
Yes more jobs and business do come with influx.
Atlanta,Most of Florida,North Carolina are perfect examples.
yep and they do it other places in the South, they come down and then want it to change to be as liberal as the north, they want us to change our culture so they fit in not fitting in to the local culture like others have to do when going to the NOrth.

the californians did it to Oregon and Washington, NJ did it to vermont, Boston to rural new england.

there is a bumper sticker in Vermont that reads, "Do Jersey Vermont" meaning dont pave over our farms, make urban hells out of our small towns and think everyone and everything is for sale. and definitely dont come as Ugly urban tourists to make a cartoon out of real people

Old 06-26-2009, 01:45 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
Quote:
My personal fave was the one stating, "Save yo Confederate money, boys, the South will rise again!"

You're right, though. You won't find southern-bashing T-shirts and bumper stickers up here. We have other ways of doing it. Here in Indiana, we like to add "tucky" to the end of the name of any town considered "hick." Like, Noblesville becomes Nobletucky. In the Rockford, IL, area there's a small community called Love's Park, which is referred to by many locals as "Love's Parkinsaw."
Loves Parkinsaw? Home of Cheap Trickatucky?

Old 06-26-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I think maybe you misinterpreted them. People in the North are not afraid of skin color and lots of people in the North love Southern food as much as all ethnic food. I think that is a stereotypical viewpoint. I see people based on their moral character, not on where they are from. There's good and bad every where.
Ha ha thats a joke, "they dont see skincolor" i dont know where you are from but i am a southern black living in Philadelphia Pa. They see skin color and mention it all the time. they use it when it suit them and pretend to not see it when they want to ignore you.

based on the Liberal organization, Southern Poverty Law Center, which monitors hate crimes and violent racist hate groups, Pa, NJ, California and Indiana lead the nation in the hate groups. when the Aryan nations group was found guilty of civil rights violations in Idaho and a civil case closed their compound, they moved to Pennsylvania and called it common ground , as the were welcomed by the citizens. and i am not talking about the backwoods, i am talking suburban Philadelphia, New Jersy and Pittsburgh

so they see color and let you know it in more subtle ways but its still as bad. the last cross burnign in Philly was 2007
not 1807

Old 06-26-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
Ha ha thats a joke, "they dont see skincolor" i dont know where you are from but i am a southern black living in Philadelphia Pa. They see skin color and mention it all the time. they use it when it suit them and pretend to not see it when they want to ignore you.

based on the Liberal organization, Southern Poverty Law Center, which monitors hate crimes and violent racist hate groups, Pa, NJ, California and Indiana lead the nation in the hate groups. when the Aryan nations group was found guilty of civil rights violations in Idaho and a civil case closed their compound, they moved to Pennsylvania and called it common ground , as the were welcomed by the citizens. and i am not talking about the backwoods, i am talking suburban Philadelphia, New Jersy and Pittsburgh

so they see color and let you know it in more subtle ways but its still as bad. the last cross burnign in Philly was 2007
not 1807
I never said that they don't see skin color. I said that they are not afraid of skin color. As far as the amount of hate groups in various states go; look how many there are in the North and South and look at the difference in populations between the states.

Big difference.

http://www.splcenter.org/intel/map/hate.jsp

Old 06-26-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I never said that they don't see skin color. I said that they are not afraid of skin color. As far as the amount of hate groups in various states go; look how many there are in the North and South and look at the difference in populations between the states.

Big difference.

SPLCenter.org: Hate Groups Map
pa is a big state and lots here, lots in california, NJ isnt a big state but lots of hate groups

its not about population it is about culture and views and a culture that still gives aid to those views and then scapegoats the south as being the one with the problem.

the OG wanted to knwo why there was the Yankee bashing, now we have yankees defending their racism but not seeing that bashing goes on on both sides just as racism has no boundaries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas