Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:58 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't know what your sister teaches but being a teacher today isn't the easiest job in the world, in fact being a teacher has never been an easy job. Does she work with special ed kids or anything like that? I am glad she is getting a bonus.

What would you want the district to do? Cut her salary and give the money to someone else?

Sorry, I don't understand your thinking on this. I am sorry for anyone without a job that wants to work, who isn't and many of us have been on that road, but what does your sister's salary have to do with people who do not have jobs..??

Nita
First I was using my sister in laws job and pay as an example of one area where money doesnt need to be spent. I never said teaching was easy but there are many harder jobs out there. No my sister does not teach special ed.
I work at a behavioral health facility for children and adolecents who have commited sexual offenses (I do not work directly with the kids) but I feel for the people that do. The make $7.25 hourly and they get hit, spit on, cussed at, urinated on etc. Why not take some of the money from the bonuses to teachers and pay someone like them? Or for the skilled laborers who work in the heat/cold/ rain or shine who often work way over 40 hours a week (which my husband does he is a Journeyman Electrician and went to school for 4 years he often works his 40 in a weekend plus works the rest of the week), why not create or pay more for them?

I will always be for the little guy, and IMO teachers aren't the "little guy". I know that isnt the politically correct thing to say but that is very much how I feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 09:00 PM

148 posts, read 350,717 times
59K seems high for a primary teacher with only an undergrad degree and 5 years of experience but I certainly don't begrudge them that income. I was making that much 5 years out of college too but I'd earned an MA by then.

I just think that we put these people in charge of educating our children and investing in them (because they invest in themselves and our kids by paying for their own continual education) is something I'm perfectly willing to do.

Pitting jobless persons against teachers is counterproductive IMHO, especially since people who are jobless got something from the stimulus too...a significant extension of unemployment benefits and the opportunity to purchase cobra at a hefty discount. If you're watching the state job listings there are also tons of new positions being funded by stim funds. The money was distributed to the states to be spent, quickly. I can't imagine the families receiving these funds won't immediately be applying them to their basic needs. *shrug* Could be wrong tho...

Old 07-21-2009, 09:11 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,358,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
I know some teachers in the smaller schools dont get paid as well but my sister-in-law works for Springdale Schools and makes about 59,000 (be doing it for 5 years) and just got notice that she will be receiving a $2000 bonus (from the stimulus) and a $2000 yearly raise, so she isn't hurting for money one bit.

If you ask me that is kind of a slap in the face to the people who are now jobless or the people that have managed to find a job but for a lot less money. I know many people who were making upwards of $20-25 hourly who have been forced to take a major pay cut just to have a job.
Sorry, but if you are saying your sister-in-law has been teaching for five years and makes that kind of cash she is a liar, or you are. It takes 24 years to get 59K with a bachelor's at Springdale, or you have to have a doctorate and 14 years expierence to get paid 59K in Springdale. Most schools have their salaries on their websites, here is Springdale's:

http://www.springdaleschools.org/employeeinfo/salary/Teachers%20Salary%20Schedule%20for%202009-2010.pdf (broken link)

And for the record, the big four (Fayetteville, Springdale, Rogers, & Bentonville) pay WAY more than the other schools in the state. Fort Smith starts at around 34K, and many smaller schools are less than that.

I am not trying to be an a-hole, but I cant stand it when people make it out like teachers are even close to being compensated for what they do. Nobody teaches for the money.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:15 PM

148 posts, read 350,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
Sorry, but if you are saying your sister-in-law has been teaching for five years and makes that kind of cash she is a liar, or you are. It takes 24 years to get 59K with a bachelor's at Springdale, or you have to have a doctorate and 14 years expierence to get paid 59K in Springdale. Most schools have their salaries on their websites, here is Springdale's:

http://www.springdaleschools.org/employeeinfo/salary/Teachers%20Salary%20Schedule%20for%202009-2010.pdf (broken link)

And for the record, the big four (Fayetteville, Springdale, Rogers, & Bentonville) pay WAY more than the other schools in the state. Fort Smith starts at around 34K, and many smaller schools are less than that.

I am not trying to be an a-hole, but I cant stand it when people make it out like teachers are even close to being compensated for what they do. Nobody teaches for the money.
Or, a teacher may have addl collateral duties like coaching, being a lead teacher or teacher mentor.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:24 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,944,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezyone View Post
Or, a teacher may have addl collateral duties like coaching, being a lead teacher or teacher mentor.
The salary does seem a little high. While we are talking about teachers salaries. I think they should be paid based on results.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
The salary does seem a little high. While we are talking about teachers salaries. I think they should be paid based on results.
Some of them are. There is a school in Plano, TX that has salaries as high as $150K for the 185 day contract if they meet all of their criteria.

It is more complicated than that though. There are a lot of factors that play into the results, not just good teaching.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:

My sister-in-law does make around $59k, and yes she has been doing it for 5 years, she teaches 1st grade and has no other duties.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
My sister-in-law does make around $59k, and yes she has been doing it for 5 years, she teaches 1st grade and has no other duties.
There is obviously something missing from the equation. She either taught somewhere prior to Springdale, has other duties, or is stealing from the city.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
There is obviously something missing from the equation. She either taught somewhere prior to Springdale, has other duties, or is stealing from the city.
Again she has no other duties, she has never taught any place else, and finally yes she does make that much I have seen her contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas