U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 04-20-2007, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
6 posts, read 35,890 times
Reputation: 20
Question Dry towns...how do you know?

We may be relocating to Arkansas, and I noticed a few areas are considered dry towns. How do you know which ones are dry towns in central Arkansas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 04-20-2007, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Somewhere close to Heber, AR
388 posts, read 1,214,853 times
Reputation: 176
LOL.

You'll know.

Look for the lack of establishments advertising spirits of any type.

I posted this on another thread.

There are 75 counties in AR; more than half are dry;
1. Ashley
2. Benton
3. Boone
4. Bradley
5. Clark
6. Clay
7. Cleburne
8. Columbia
9. Craighead
10. Crawford
11. Faulkner
12. Fulton
13. Grant
14. Hempstead
15. Hot Spring
16. Howard
17. Independence
18. Izard
19. Johnson
20. Lafayette
21. Lawrence
22. Lincoln
23. Little River
24. Lonoke
25. Madison
26. Marion
27. Montgomery
28. Nevada
29. Newton
30. Perry
31. Pike
32. Polk
33. Pope
34. Randolph
35. Saline
36. Scott
37. Searcy
38. Sevier
39. Sharp
40. Stone
41. Van Buren
42. White
43. Yell

I don't live in town, but the closest town is dry; no alcohol sales at all.

My house is wet.


If the town you're looking at is in one of these counties, consider it dry.

Even in dry counties, you may find establishments in some towns that have private "members only" sales if you join their "club" (for a fee, of course).

I wouldn't worry about it if looking for a place to settle...if you want a drink, you can find one fairly close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-21-2007, 06:40 AM
 
1,210 posts
Reputation: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by magrack View Post
LOL.

You'll know.

Look for the lack of establishments advertising spirits of any type.

I posted this on another thread.

There are 75 counties in AR; more than half are dry;
1. Ashley
2. Benton
3. Boone
4. Bradley
5. Clark
6. Clay
7. Cleburne
8. Columbia
9. Craighead
10. Crawford
11. Faulkner
12. Fulton
13. Grant
14. Hempstead
15. Hot Spring
16. Howard
17. Independence
18. Izard
19. Johnson
20. Lafayette
21. Lawrence
22. Lincoln
23. Little River
24. Lonoke
25. Madison
26. Marion
27. Montgomery
28. Nevada
29. Newton
30. Perry
31. Pike
32. Polk
33. Pope
34. Randolph
35. Saline
36. Scott
37. Searcy
38. Sevier
39. Sharp
40. Stone
41. Van Buren
42. White
43. Yell

I don't live in town, but the closest town is dry; no alcohol sales at all.

My house is wet.


If the town you're looking at is in one of these counties, consider it dry.

Even in dry counties, you may find establishments in some towns that have private "members only" sales if you join their "club" (for a fee, of course).

I wouldn't worry about it if looking for a place to settle...if you want a drink, you can find one fairly close.
What is Arkansas point in dry towns?? All it does is take away jobs and tax money is being lost. When I want a 6 pace and lotto ticket I take my money and go up the road to Missouri. Arkansas loss Missouri gain..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-21-2007, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Somewhere close to Heber, AR
388 posts, read 1,214,853 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
What is Arkansas point in dry towns?? All it does is take away jobs and tax money is being lost. When I want a 6 pace and lotto ticket I take my money and go up the road to Missouri. Arkansas loss Missouri gain..
It's not Arkansas' point.

It's the point of the majority of voters within each county who decide.

The lottery has been discussed at the state level as an aid to school budgeting, so "Arkansas" is aware of the potential income of that particular aspect of the issue.

Lots of reasons the folks want their county/town dry, but mostly due to church influences, IMO.

That's the way it is; either folks learn to deal with it or they leave, or they attempt to sway enough voters to change their minds.

Many people (including me) cross a county or state line, buy what they desire and have a taste in the privacy of their own home.

It's part of what Arkansas is.

For those of you who are thinking about moving here and you feel that you must have a drinking establishment everywhere you look/live, the answer is simple: don't move to a dry county.

For those who consider it wrong for other people to decide where you drink in certain parts of the state, don't move here.

Look at it this way; it's really no different than living in a place with a HOA.

I could never live in a place where someone dictates the color of my house or where I could park my boat or if I was allowed to have a flagpole or not, so I choose to live in Arkansas and accept what it is.

Last edited by magrack; 04-21-2007 at 08:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-21-2007, 02:47 PM
 
58 posts, read 186,680 times
Reputation: 30
Marion County is no longer DRY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-21-2007, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Somewhere close to Heber, AR
388 posts, read 1,214,853 times
Reputation: 176
Oops.

Sorry, hadn't realized it changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-21-2007, 10:29 PM
 
186 posts, read 353,590 times
Reputation: 61
Not sure what county I am in. I am working in russellville. But yeah it is dry. I don't drink, but I like to look at the skirts once in awhile and the best place is at a bar. I guess I'm out of luck here. I would say the church has a lot to do with the dry part. I guess it's better to get loaded in one county then drive home to your dry county (I'm being sarcastic) I hear that outside taverns give the churches big money to keep that county dry so the taverns outside that county get more customers. who really knows. Just seems like a communist county thats all. It's all in what you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-22-2007, 06:11 AM
 
Location: Somewhere close to Heber, AR
388 posts, read 1,214,853 times
Reputation: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach View Post
Not sure what county I am in. I am working in russellville.
Pope county.

Quote:
I guess it's better to get loaded in one county then drive home to your dry county (I'm being sarcastic)
Unfortunately, that happens. It's one of the problems with a system like this.

Quote:
Just seems like a communist county thats all.
Nope, pure democratic (mob rule) concept. For whatever reasons, the majority of the people (mob) in your (and my county) want it dry. In a communist environment, the "state" dictates the rules, and that's not quite the case here.

In a communist area it would be unlawful to even have it in your home. I suspect half the state would be in jail if that were the case.

I think, eventually, this will change in most counties in AR.

In the meantime, for me, it's not that big a deal, just another facet of living here.

'Course. I'm a little older than I was in my bar hopping days and I know where to get a drink in my county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-22-2007, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
6 posts, read 35,890 times
Reputation: 20
Thanks for the info folks. I was just curious, not like it would dicatate where we would live. I do like the odd drink, I just don't want to drive miles to get one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-23-2007, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Somewhere close to Heber, AR
388 posts, read 1,214,853 times
Reputation: 176
What's an odd drink? Do you mix gin with scotch with clam juice as a mixer or stuff like that?

Just pulling your leg, I know what you meant. 8>)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:33 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top