Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:42 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
I think people who sit in fear in their own homes and are just achin' to shoot someone are lunatics and should be shipped far, far away to some remote island where they can shoot each other all they want.

What a terrible way to live.

Arkansas, home of the paranoid.
*sigh*

Old 07-22-2009, 10:04 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,185,309 times
RogMar is probably right about the robbers getting a lot of sympathy from their friends.

Those 2 guys who murdered my relatives had their family and girlfriends interviewed in the paper.

Disgusting to read how they described the murderers as being great guys.

( by the way, one hung himself in jail before sentencing and the other got life in prison w/o parole)

They also committed a similar robbery that turned into a murder a few weeks before this one in Minneapolis.

Yup, "great guys", said their family and their girlfriends.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:20 AM

43 posts, read 121,707 times
Have I ever shot someone - Nope! Have I ever come close to shooting someone - YUP! Have I used a firearm to protect myself or others - YUP! Will I defend my home - you betcha! (I'm not sitting in my home/car in "fear" or "itchin'" to shoot someone.)

Years ago, I had to drive down a very remote road where 2 perverts had been getting women to pull over (they had a magnetic 'blue light' they stuck on the top of one truck) and then rapeing them - 1 was killed apparently because she fought back. I had Hubby's .357 on the seat beside me, just in case, when all of a sudden a truck passed me and slowed down, then an unmarked truck with a flashing blue light on it pulled up beside me, basically boxing me. I picked up the .357 and pointed it at him. He put his truck in the shoulder and the other truck took off like 'a bat out of Hades'. This was in the days before cells (early '80's) so I went to the closest phone and called it in. If he/they hadn't turned 'chicken' would I have shot - you betcha! It wasn't long til they were caught and pled guilty to somewhat reduced charges. I was in my vehicle - there was a reason to defend myself.

Thankfully - I have never had anyone break into my home but you can 'bet your bippy', if 'you' do - 'you' better run faster than I can shoot.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:24 AM

27 posts, read 86,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
I think people who sit in fear in their own homes and are just achin' to shoot someone are lunatics and should be shipped far, far away to some remote island where they can shoot each other all they want.

What a terrible way to live.

Arkansas, home of the paranoid.
Some people will never get it, will they?

I hope you never get in a situation where you have to use deadly force... Are you just going to wait for the cops to come? Have fun with that.

I would say that 98% of gun owners are not paranoid, and are not "achin' to shoot someone". Owning a gun in no way, shape, or form means that I want to shoot anyone; it means I'm realistic about the dangers that exisit in today's society.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:27 AM

837 posts, read 2,248,547 times
They same dangers exist in today's society that have always existed.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:33 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,913,530 times
Default Some Thoughts on home defence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
You're in your vehicle...you have actual physical control...someone breaks your window with your interpretation of intent to do physical harm, you're going to shoot them?

First question asked...why didn't you put the car on gear to escape the threat?
There will be a torrent of questions from the lawyer for the now-dead (or seriously injured) perp and his family, all intended to put you off your guard and show you acted inappropriately.

A good book to read is by a guy named Massad Ayoob, who is a well-known author in many of the gun publications, and he teaches at hi Lethal force institute in, I believe, New Jersey.

Amazon.com: The Truth About Self Protection: Massad Ayoob: Books

In a recent magazine column, he stresses what NOT to say when the police arrive (I've always wanted to get one of these b@st@rds!"), but rather to appear genuinely frightened and upset, and tell the officer(s) that because of the aggressive behavior of the perp, plus his ongoing verbal threats you're "sure you heard", that you felt genuinely frightened and in fear for your life and the lives of your family in the house.

In several sad cases, folks who have defended themselves have then been successfully prosecuted for manslaughter. This usually happens when the courts can show that you had alternates and didn't take them. No bullet holes in their backs for instance, 50 yards down the road from your house, when the neighbors saw him running for his life yelling "don't shoot me, please!"

In other words, don't hunt the perp down and shoot him, even though that's exactly what he deserves for scaring the literal cr@p out of you, and also intended to rape or beat you and steal your property.

But, in your kitchen, he with a drawn knife, dressed in his black burglary outfit, and you in your PJs, you'd have a pretty sympathetic jury in most cases. Word of advice: don't just wound him; better to not have to argue with a maimed and well-dressed victim of your "brutal response" in a court of his peers!

As Massad says: "If a fight is inescapable, be swift, positive and accurate!"

And trust me, in almost ALL cases, these things will go to court. And often, your CCP (Concealed Carry Permit) will be temporarily revoked, if not lost forever! Sad but true. A lot of people really REALLY hate the 2nd Amendment!

This sort of hassle is far less likely in, say, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, etc. Can you guess why?

PS: aside from the vote today about allowing CCPs to carry across all state lines (hopefully!), you should also check out one of the several good books that summarize not only all state CCP laws, but also summaries of lethal force use.

And finally, remember: practice practice, practice if you do buy a defense firearm. You'd possibly be a lot better off with a can of "Grizzly Bear Strength" pepper spray (15%, liquid stream format), than trying, when you're scared literally poopless, to remember how to properly handle that new .380 auto. So, if you do buy a handgun for home defense, for heaven's sake, make sure it is up to the job and that you know which end the little really fast pointy-thingy comes out of. And how to load it, sight it, etc. etc.

I've met a lot of women (and even guys) who bought .22, .25 or .32 autos. If the perp eventually discovers that you've actually shot him with one of those, he'll be really mad at you!

YouTube - Sterling Arms .25 auto

Of course, the alternate typical male-hyper-ego thing is to have a Freedom Arms .454 Casull hyper magnum under the bed. If you miss the perp, you'll still blind and deafen him, set fire to the bedroom just by firing it, and you'll never hear properly again either! Very sporting!

YouTube - Ruger Alaskan .454 Casull One hand shooting

Best bests? .38 special in a S&W J frame, or a 9mm or 45ACP in a good reliable auto pistol. And, practice. 50 rounds a month until you're good, then once a month at the range with 30 or so rounds.

Last edited by rifleman; 07-22-2009 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: typoz

Old 07-22-2009, 11:36 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
RogMar is probably right about the robbers getting a lot of sympathy from their friends.

Those 2 guys who murdered my relatives had their family and girlfriends interviewed in the paper.

Disgusting to read how they described the murderers as being great guys.

( by the way, one hung himself in jail before sentencing and the other got life in prison w/o parole)

They also committed a similar robbery that turned into a murder a few weeks before this one in Minneapolis.

Yup, "great guys", said their family and their girlfriends.
Now, there's a *whole* nuther book.

It's absolutely remarkable the way a scumbag changes between his mug shot and court.

It's like going from Charles Manson to "Father" Manson.

I always thought there would be big money in advising mopes on "makeovers".

They come into court with a fresh haircut and nice suit. Act very humble and stare at the floor. They bring their Momma, who cries at all the right cues, maybe a litle sister or cousin who says things like, "Please don't take my brother away".

As most lawyers know when they work criminal defense, when you are buried in evidence, it's all about the show.

Get the perp.....oh....I mean "person of intrest"...on the stand, get him to talk about his mother, his dog, how tough life's been....

Then the closing arguments. That's where it's all summarized and both lawyers nod their heads as they deliver their argument. Whoever gets the most heads of the jurists nodding in unison, takes the prize.

Yep...

They're all sweethearts by the time court rolls around.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:37 AM

745 posts, read 1,297,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCU34 View Post
Some people will never get it, will they?

I hope you never get in a situation where you have to use deadly force... Are you just going to wait for the cops to come? Have fun with that.

I would say that 98% of gun owners are not paranoid, and are not "achin' to shoot someone". Owning a gun in no way, shape, or form means that I want to shoot anyone; it means I'm realistic about the dangers that exisit in today's society.
I respectfully disagree. I won't dare try to quantify it, but working in the industry, there are a large amount of gun owners that I would consider paranoid. And there are a lot of people who would love to have someone break in to their home so they could shoot them. I've knocked on their doors.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
They same dangers exist in today's society that have always existed.

Oh really now??? And I bet you also think that our government is going to be just fine even though this bailout is going to cost $14 trillion... Its people like you that give me reason to think this country has no chance.

There are more armed robberies in this country than ever before, and it's not because there are more people either. Crooks are getting braver and braver, and in this economy many people are willing to do whatever it takes to feed families, even if that risk is going to jail or getting killed. Go take a gander at the local crime stats in your area. You maybe surprised.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jest721 View Post
I respectfully disagree. I won't dare try to quantify it, but working in the industry, there are a large amount of gun owners that I would consider paranoid. And there are a lot of people who would love to have someone break in to their home so they could shoot them. I've knocked on their doors.
What, are you a law enforcement officer? Or a door to door salesperson? If you're a LEO then I might take your post seriously, if not, then I'm taking it with a grain if salt.

There is a difference between paranoid, and realistic. If you have had friends/ neighbors/ family/ or maybe a personal experience of an unwanted person entering your house then you might be what you call "paranoid" too.

No, I don't answer my door in the middle of the day with a loaded glock 9mm pistol in my pant pocket, but if I chose to do that, then so what? My house, my rules. Most people don't WANT to shoot someone, its just they would have NO PROBLEM doing it if they felt threatened enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas