U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 07:42 AM

9,000 posts, read 8,695,793 times
Default Arkansans' Opinions on The Health Care Reform Debate

Now we have a place to discuss the whole health care reform that's supposedly going on in Congress.
What reform would you like to see done or do you think the system is just fine?
Do you feel the Arkansas representation in Congress will vote "the right way"?
Have you called your representative to let them know how you feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 08:25 AM
Status: "Give just a little of yourself to others." (set 10 days ago)

48,906 posts, read 40,295,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Now we have a place to discuss the whole health care reform that's supposedly going on in Congress.
you say the right way, isn't that a matter of opinion?

Have we called our reps, yes we have called and emailed them.

Is the system just fine? For us personally, seniors on medicare and good suplement, yes, but there is always room for improvement. How it should be improved, I do not have an answer.

Nita

Old 07-27-2009, 08:54 AM

148 posts, read 218,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I'd like to see universal access either by individual or employer mandate with a public/Medicare-style option for EVERYONE, not just seniors, individuals with disabilities and the poor. I'd also like to see a federal ban on denials for pre-existing conditions. Anything less would be a dissapointment.

I don't think anyone can say with a straight face that the current patchwork system is fine especially with middle class families bearing so much risk. I think of how bad things have gotten since the 90s and wonder if this country would make it another 10 years without a major break down of some kind. E.g. someone/something becoming the proverbial poster child of health care failures.

Do I think Arkansas reps will vote the right way? Can't say what the right way is since there isn't a firm, clear proposal on the table for discussion. There are lots of proposals but none are backed by a workable majority. The people casting votes on this are plenty comfy with their care tho, so there's less urgency for them. And older, regular voters are perfectly willing to be scared crapless by the prospect of losing any part of Medicare.

Have I called my reps? Yes, I have and will continue to call and email. I think the shabby care so many of us have and/or can't access deserves their FULL attention.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:28 AM

28,761 posts, read 11,227,162 times
I'm still studying the healthcare proposal, so I haven't contacted my legislative representatives yet until I've decided on where I stand on this legislation. I definitely think that our current healthcare system is failing too many Americans, and needs to be changed. I see healthcare in a private healthcare system like ours as a commodity, and that the shift to universal healthcare shifts that commodity to more of a public resource. Anytime you try to make that kind of shift happen, problems are going to arise. We've already achieved that shift in some sectors, for instance in the retiree sector. So far, my take on Obama's proposal is to achieve a similar shift across the board. I'm still concerned with how this will affect small businesses who currently do offer health insurance to their employees, for one thing. I'm also wondering, and I stated this in another post, if the government is trusting insurance and private healthcare providers to self-regulate in the same way we expected banks and financial companies to self-regulate prior to the financial crises. Society and government tend to underestimate the incentive potential of short-term profits over and over again.

So, I'm still making up my mind if Obama's plan is as comprehensive as I think it needs to be.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:01 AM

3,981 posts, read 5,264,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you say the right way, isn't that a matter of opinion?

Have we called our reps, yes we have called and emailed them.

Is the system just fine? For us personally, seniors on medicare and good suplement, yes, but there is always room for improvement. How it should be improved, I do not have an answer.

Nita
I agree, but I do wonder if the change will be detrimental to us? I think it may be very beneficial to many. I trust that we elders will not be effected adversely.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towhee View Post
I agree, but I do wonder if the change will be detrimental to us? I think it may be very beneficial to many. I trust that we elders will not be effected adversely.
I happen to agree pretty much. About the only way it will affect us directly and this could be a huge issue: rationing (which like it or not will happen) will make it harder or maybe impossible to get some treatments and tests. this may not occur in the first few years but eventaully will.

Another problem I have with government control is the cost, again not to us but our kids and grandkids. Most want a program like medicare. That might be fine, my concerns, we have paid into medicare for 45 years, some will pay into it for more years than that. We still pay $100 a month, who is going to pay for the universal plan for those who have not been paying into the plan? Is the government going to collect from each individual $100 a month? Of course not, the idea is to cover those who are not covered. If they can't afford insurance they can't afford it.

In Great Britian you have a choice, if you can not get the care you need or want from socialized government sponsored health care you can choose to pay the full amount yourself. In Canada you can opt to pay. You are required to use only the government programs. That is why many, in Canada, that have money will come to America for treatment.

The ones I do feel sorry for and these are the ones that need to be covered, the group that are considered working poor. They do not quite fit into the low income level so they can't get medicade. These are the people I would like to see covered in some way.

I do know many that are uninsured are not covered for a couple of reasons: some are illegals and i will be damned if I want to pay for their insurance and some are not insured by choice. Our daughter and son in law (one of them) have a small business with about 12 employees. In order to get decent health insurance which our daughter and hubby are willing to pay 1/2 the premiums every employee has to sign up> Guess what, only a few want it so none get it. The employees are mostly in their 20s and are either single or young married couples and say they will take their chances instead of paying for insurance, even $100 a month.

Nita

Old 07-27-2009, 10:58 AM

I think most famlies would be thrilled to have the option to purchase quality health insurance for $100/mo. Paying $400-$600/mo. or more for a comprehensive family plan (including maternity and preventive care benefits) is far more common. As a WA state employee, I was offered a family plan for a min of $350 a month and that was 5 years ago. Costs have gone up a lot in five years.

I don't think any reform will be successful unless it creates an insurance pool that includes everyone. The risks/costs of insuring the young and healthy as well as the old and infirm have to be shared. Sure, that might increase costs for a healthy, non-smoking 20-year old but over their lifetime it would still be a significant savings. I just think it's time to start thinking nationally, not just me, me, me, me, me. It'll def. take work but it's high time.

As for rationing, we already have it. Only now it's based on income and not medical need/necessity. Why are we avoiding the difficult conversations surrounding cost vs. benefit. In every other aspect of American life we praise the use of cost/benefit analysis to allocate scare resources. Let's face it, medical care in the U.S. is a scarce resource. Only now it's not being allocated based on need or based on who would benefit the most from expensive care. Is that right? It may seem cold or callous or what have you to follow that to it's logical conclusion but the status quo is just as offensive.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezyone View Post
I think most famlies would be thrilled to have the option to purchase quality health insurance for $100/mo. Paying $400-$600/mo. or more for a comprehensive family plan (including maternity and preventive care benefits) is far more common. As a WA state employee, I was offered a family plan for a min of $350 a month and that was 5 years ago. Costs have gone up a lot in five years.

I don't think any reform will be successful unless it creates an insurance pool that includes everyone. The risks/costs of insuring the young and healthy as well as the old and infirm have to be shared. Sure, that might increase costs for a healthy, non-smoking 20-year old but over their lifetime it would still be a significant savings. I just think it's time to start thinking nationally, not just me, me, me, me, me. It'll def. take work but it's high time.

As for rationing, we already have it. Only now it's based on income and not medical need/necessity. Why are we avoiding the difficult conversations surrounding cost vs. benefit. In every other aspect of American life we praise the use of cost/benefit analysis to allocate scare resources. Let's face it, medical care in the U.S. is a scarce resource. Only now it's not being allocated based on need or based on who would benefit the most from expensive care. Is that right? It may seem cold or callous or what have you to follow that to it's logical conclusion but the status quo is just as offensive.
This was not a family plan, it was for individuals. i have no idea how much it was to add dependents. I do know our granddaughter pays 40 a month for her insurance and it is an additional $66.00 for her husband. I have to trust you on what you say your contribution was in Washington but I will also add I don't know anyone that pays anywhere near that much if they work for a major coorporation. My brother works for the city of Los Angeles, I think he pays about $100 a month for he and his wife. I will add most of these are PPO or HMOs. If you want something like Blue Cross it is more.

Nita

Old 07-27-2009, 12:49 PM

28,761 posts, read 11,227,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This was not a family plan, it was for individuals. i have no idea how much it was to add dependents. I do know our granddaughter pays 40 a month for her insurance and it is an additional $66.00 for her husband. I have to trust you on what you say your contribution was in Washington but I will also add I don't know anyone that pays anywhere near that much if they work for a major coorporation. My brother works for the city of Los Angeles, I think he pays about $100 a month for he and his wife. I will add most of these are PPO or HMOs. If you want something like Blue Cross it is more.

Nita
Insurance costs don't just stop at the employee contribution. Most large employers, and some small employers, don't just join a plan and divvy up the costs assessing each employee. Most employers probably pay substantially more than $40 a month to cover an employee. I personally don't pay anything towards my insurance, my employer considers it a benefit.

That said, I have a friend who lost her job last year. She was able to extend her health insurance through her employer at a cost to her of $300/month. When her employer closed his doors, she had to seek out individual coverage. Which runs $480/month and that's through AARP since she's over 50 years old. When her unemployment runs out, she will no longer be able to afford insurance since she'll be living strictly off her savings. That's pretty scary for a single woman in her 50's.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:55 PM

There's also a premium differential between individual coverage (free everywhere I've worked), self/spouse coverage (or self/one dependent coverage), and a family plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas