U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-31-2009, 09:39 AM

500 posts, read 1,328,153 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My family and I are renting a place on Lake Ouachita next week, and we thought we'd take a day and go see some caves. I see most of the places are north of us, and look like at least a couple hours drive.

Can you recommend a good one for us to see? We're staying close to Mt. Ida.
2 of my children are 6 and 8.

Also, Is the highway between Russelville and Harrison a scenic drive?

thanks for any help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 02:35 PM

621 posts, read 1,348,407 times
Don't know of any commercial caves in that area, but I can say that Hwy 7 from Russellville to Harrison is a scenic drive.

Headin' north. On the left side of the highway about half way between Russellville and Jasper.

On the right side, not far before reaching Jasper.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:09 PM

500 posts, read 1,328,153 times
That looks beautiful, thank you for the pictures.
Menu at that Cliff House inn looks pretty good too, lol.
Appreciate it!

Old 08-01-2009, 12:16 AM

2 posts, read 7,622 times
No cave recommendations, but I can recommend digging for diamonds at the Crater of Diamonds state park in Murfreesboro or digging for crystals near Mt. Ida or Hot Springs. Both are a lot of fun if the weather isn't too hot. Avoid the roadside crystal digs and find a good operation instead. You will see plenty of ads for them once you get to Lake Ouachita. Diamond hunting is fun for the kids, but digging for crystals is more of a "sure thing." If you think you might dig for crystals, have everyone bring a pair of shoes and clothes you don't mind throwing away - there is just no way to keep clean. Have a nice vacation.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:59 AM

1,643 posts, read 3,069,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivax View Post
Menu at that Cliff House inn looks pretty good too
The prices don't, though.

I'd certainly take a drive around the area and see what other offerings are.

This is Arkansas, not Los Angeles.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:59 PM

621 posts, read 1,348,407 times
Is this the menu you guys are talking about?

I dunno. The prices seem high, but the portions are generous. I can also vouch for the cleanliness of the establishment, including the rooms. Also, you get to sit and eat in front of one of the best views in Arkansas.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:31 PM

2,458 posts, read 3,595,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivax View Post
Hi,
My family and I are renting a place on Lake Ouachita next week, and we thought we'd take a day and go see some caves. I see most of the places are north of us, and look like at least a couple hours drive.

Can you recommend a good one for us to see? We're staying close to Mt. Ida.
2 of my children are 6 and 8.

Also, Is the highway between Russelville and Harrison a scenic drive?

thanks for any help!
There are no "caves" in the normal sense of the word in the Ouachita Mountains. Wrong type of rock. You will have to go to the Ozarks for those and it would be well worth a two day trip if you have time. The closest thing we have to caves, in the Ouachitas, are some that have been quarried out a few thousand years ago by the Indians, and those are
hard to get to and not worth the effort unless you are into archeology.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:10 AM

57 posts, read 96,881 times
Ah the Cliff House!! My wife and I have ate there and stayed there twice in years past. We have plans to do the same this September for a day for our anniversary if her back problems straighten up for our trip! Nothing like drinking a cup of coffe in the morning on their deck with that view!

Old 08-03-2009, 09:13 AM

1,643 posts, read 3,069,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenacresusa View Post
Nothing like drinking a cup of coffe in the morning on their deck with that view!
Unless it's drinking a cup of coffee on my own deck with my view.

No screaming kids or yankee tourists.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:14 AM

57 posts, read 96,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Unless it's drinking a cup of coffee on my own deck with my view.

No screaming kids or yankee tourists.
That is true!! That's our other favorite place for a good cup of coffee, on our own cabin porch overlooking the pond without any other neighbors in sight or hearing!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas