U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:47 PM

94 posts, read 178,529 times

Advertisements

I'm not from Arkansas, temporary living in Virginia Beach, VA. I've notice people in Virginia can't drive even when they are from Virginia. I'm orignal from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Drivers up north CAN ACTUALLY DRIVE alot better than drivers in the South (no offense) As in winter time is gets very cold, lot's of snow, rains alot and never gets past 85 degrees during the Summer up North. In Virginia it never snows, mostly rains though. When it rains, the Virginia and outsiders goes well below the speed limits causing rear-ends accidents, spin outs, roll overs, jack knifes when Truck Drivers have to slam on the brakes because of drivers going too slow and lots of tailgaters out there (which by the way is serious traffic violations), even when they are not on their cellphones still cause accidents. Mostly teenagers and minors (16 years old, 15 in some states). In California, the state laws permits people can't use cellphones while driving and everyone must buy hands free cellphones. Wished every state had a laws like that.

I've seen alot more accidents here in Virginia, than I do any other states (just by passing through) so, of course if living in those states will be a different story. Also, if drivers could only PAY ATTENTION there will be alot less accidents. Of course, the Technology these days are getting alot more smarter to detect problems, prevents accidents to occur (backup camera's, all 4-wheels stop systems, speed sensors,etc...) Based on my years of experience driving, I seen alot of accidents and I was a Truck Driver before.

Can't say anything about Arkansas, never been there, yet. Just curious, what is the maximum Speed Limit allowed to be driven in AR? I always go the speed limits, no matter what besides in Snow. No matter were people are from, there will always be accidents in every states. Only you can avoid accidents if you pay attention to other drivers availabilities of driving. Just use JUDGEMENTS.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:48 AM

27 posts, read 65,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterbilt379 View Post
I'm not from Arkansas, temporary living in Virginia Beach, VA. I've notice people in Virginia can't drive even when they are from Virginia. I'm orignal from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Drivers up north CAN ACTUALLY DRIVE alot better than drivers in the South (no offense) As in winter time is gets very cold, lot's of snow, rains alot and never gets past 85 degrees during the Summer up North. In Virginia it never snows, mostly rains though. When it rains, the Virginia and outsiders goes well below the speed limits causing rear-ends accidents, spin outs, roll overs, jack knifes when Truck Drivers have to slam on the brakes because of drivers going too slow and lots of tailgaters out there (which by the way is serious traffic violations), even when they are not on their cellphones still cause accidents. Mostly teenagers and minors (16 years old, 15 in some states). In California, the state laws permits people can't use cellphones while driving and everyone must buy hands free cellphones. Wished every state had a laws like that.

I've seen alot more accidents here in Virginia, than I do any other states (just by passing through) so, of course if living in those states will be a different story. Also, if drivers could only PAY ATTENTION there will be alot less accidents. Of course, the Technology these days are getting alot more smarter to detect problems, prevents accidents to occur (backup camera's, all 4-wheels stop systems, speed sensors,etc...) Based on my years of experience driving, I seen alot of accidents and I was a Truck Driver before.

Can't say anything about Arkansas, never been there, yet. Just curious, what is the maximum Speed Limit allowed to be driven in AR? I always go the speed limits, no matter what besides in Snow. No matter were people are from, there will always be accidents in every states. Only you can avoid accidents if you pay attention to other drivers availabilities of driving. Just use JUDGEMENTS.
I agree. The speed limit on the interstates are 70 but ppl usually go 5 to 10 miles above the speed limit, and for trucks 55. When Arkansas gets snow they use sand and I think that it makes the roads worse. Back in Illinois we used salt, it melts the ice faster but you also have a lot more snow.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:15 AM

Never heard anyone using sand for snow. You and me already know how to drive, no matter what the weather is like. Wished other drivers could. In PA, they also use salt for Ice and Snow. Sometimes, PennDOT will actually run out of salt and have to wait couple of days to get restocked.

Does Arkansas gets alot of snow too?

Old 08-05-2009, 02:48 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,366,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkLvr627 View Post
Back in Illinois we used salt, it melts the ice faster but you also have a lot more snow.
Yep...and helps the auto industry.

I lost 3 cars in 20 years to that salt.

In addition, in the Chicago metro area it is a huge source of kickback, seconded only by construction.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:11 PM

206 posts, read 379,161 times
I have to admit I have noticed that also about drivers in the South. They get an inch of snow and drive about 5 mph, if at all. I was down there one time and they got a couple inches and everybody was driving too slow. I flew right by them. Wasn't being reckless. The snow was firmly packed on road with no ice and I did have a 4X4. You should have seen the look on their faces as I passed them.

Being from the North does help prepare you for most road conditions, although sometimes up here, the first day of snow we get here, it seems some drivers forget how to drive in the snow.

I do drive slower around the Ozarks on the way to Eureka Springs, only because of too many oncoming drivers that are driving in both lanes on a mountain curve witch leaves you not much room to go anywhere, except down. No guard rails either.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:12 PM

206 posts, read 379,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
Yep...and helps the auto industry.

I lost 3 cars in 20 years to that salt.

In addition, in the Chicago metro area it is a huge source of kickback, seconded only by construction.
That's why you wash your car more often.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Never heard anyone using sand for snow. You and me already know how to drive, no matter what the weather is like. Wished other drivers could. In PA, they also use salt for Ice and Snow. Sometimes, PennDOT will actually run out of salt and have to wait couple of days to get restocked.

Does Arkansas gets alot of snow too?
The Northern Areas can get up to 3.5 inches in the Southern about an 1.5

Old 08-07-2009, 04:08 AM

Up in Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh Areas), Most winters does get pretty bad, icy, sleet, and most dangerous is black ice. Trust me, it is bad. Anyways, on average, it usually snows 2-4 inches every day sometimes every other day depending on the weather system there. 1-2 inches is not too bad but 3-6 inches is. Used to lived in the country side of Pittsburgh, at home there is no guard rail to protect you on either side of the road. Beyond next to the edge of the roads are cliffs and down hill slopes. Also, lots of pine trees. Just be cautious driving up North in Winter Time. (Sorry about going off the Topic.)

The accidents are far way worst in the North, as the South has is easy. Well, just to where I've been.

So, On average how many accidents occur each day or year in Arkansas? (Approx would be fine.)

Last edited by Peterbilt379; 08-07-2009 at 04:09 AM.. Reason: missed a word.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Up in Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh Areas), Most winters does get pretty bad, icy, sleet, and most dangerous is black ice. Trust me, it is bad. Anyways, on average, it usually snows 2-4 inches every day sometimes every other day depending on the weather system there. 1-2 inches is not too bad but 3-6 inches is. Used to lived in the country side of Pittsburgh, at home there is no guard rail to protect you on either side of the road. Beyond next to the edge of the roads are cliffs and down hill slopes. Also, lots of pine trees. Just be cautious driving up North in Winter Time. (Sorry about going off the Topic.)

The accidents are far way worst in the North, as the South has is easy. Well, just to where I've been.

So, On average how many accidents occur each day or year in Arkansas? (Approx would be fine.)
Speed plays a role of nearly 20% of accidents here. 3 out of 10 are alcohol related. There are over 600 deaths and many serious injuries in car accidents in Arkansas. Poor driving conditions and faulty car parts are about 5% of fatal accidents. 40% are fatal. In Arkansas there is about 1 accident every 2 hours.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:35 PM

837 posts, read 1,940,886 times
Where do you get those stats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or