Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:04 PM

18,183 posts, read 16,747,601 times

Advertisements

MOD NOTE: THIS POST WAS EDITED WITH THE KNOWLEDGE OF, AND CONSENT OF, THRILLOBYTE.

I looked at the various information offered by our member. I read several opinions, but saw few if any citations. Therefore, as this is a serious subject to many, I am taking the unusual step of adding a link at the bottom of the page so as to present a balance of information. My position as a CD Forum Moderatior is to remain neutral.

In a nutshell:

It is believed by some that when global warming hits the cataclysmic point the Arkansas/Missouri Ozarks will be one of the known safe havens.

It is believed for the following reasons:

1.) Altitude above sea level.
2.) Distance from major population centers.
3.) Mild winters, long growing season, lots of water.
4.) Low density, homogeneous population.

My wife and I are planning to come here to retire. Now we have to worry about the area being inundated with refugees from this supposed disaster? Is all this just hype to sell a DVD and do you think it's practical to still think about retiring here?

Entries by John Moore - RuralSurvival.info (http://www.ruralsurvival.info/blog/authors/4-John-Moore - broken link)

YouTube - Global Warming - What the Government Isn't Telling You 1/12

NASA - 10th Planet Discovered

Last edited by linicx; 08-13-2009 at 04:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 10:34 PM

157 posts, read 515,429 times
I took a science class under a NASA scientist on global warming. It is irrefutably due to excessive CO2--a well-known green house gas. I've observed discussions on forums like this, and they quickly devolve into a futile debates with people who have tenuous grasps on science/reality. It takes fewer neurons to get swept up by a a good story than to study reality.

I checked the guy's website. Why is it that he can't make one single coherent sentence without elipses? Why does he decorate the background with a ridiculous wallpaper and font color that just screams, "I'm an amateur con man preying on gullible people"?

Old 08-12-2009, 10:54 PM

39 posts, read 50,623 times
No doubt globally warming has started and pretty much due to ignorance, greed, and stubburnance from the GOP and country bumpkins we are going to miss the chance to stop it before it gets too late.

You won't have to worry since you are retiring...you're grandkids will.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:05 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,338,915 times
first page!!1!

Old 08-12-2009, 11:06 PM

111 posts, read 389,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifled View Post
No doubt globally warming has started and pretty much due to ignorance, greed, and stubburnance from the GOP and country bumpkins we are going to miss the chance to stop it before it gets too late.

You won't have to worry since you are retiring...you're grandkids will.
There's quite a lot of doubt actually.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:04 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,099,703 times
IS it hype? I have no idea. I remember a few years ago when the public was alarmed about a perceived nuclear attack. I cannot tell you how many fallout shelters were sold or now many hundreds of cases of canned rations were sold along with the battery powered radio, camp light flashlight and batteries. There were portable toilets with chemicals to neutralize and dissolve contents, etc.. The amount of money invested in survival was beyond belief.

Well we did not have a nuclear attack. I've often wondered what happened to those cases of food, powered milk and batteries, Is a direct hit on earth by Planet X possible? Anything is possible. Is it probable? I hope not in my lifetime. Right now I have more pressing problems to worry about than a frozen planet and where it might hit or when.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:45 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,472,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
IS it hype? I have no idea. I remember a few years ago when the public was alarmed about a perceived nuclear attack. I cannot tell you how many fallout shelters were sold or now many hundreds of cases of canned rations were sold along with the battery powered radio, camp light flashlight and batteries. There were portable toilets with chemicals to neutralize and dissolve contents, etc.. The amount of money invested in survival was beyond belief.

Well we did not have a nuclear attack. I've often wondered what happened to those cases of food, powered milk and batteries, Is a direct hit on earth by Planet X possible? Anything is possible. Is it probable? I hope not in my lifetime. Right now I have more pressing problems to worry about than a frozen planet and where it might hit or when.
Remember what a disaster Y2K was supposed to be??

Old 08-13-2009, 09:05 AM

7,055 posts, read 12,560,065 times
There's something about this fellow that says to me that he's not for real...he cites lots of un-named 'experts' to support his theories, and has a cool map--in vivid colors, even!--that supposedly demonstrates which areas will be underwater...but unless I missed something, does he name even one 'credible' expert source?

I think he's got something to sell--a book and maybe some land in the Ozarks?

Oh, I do think we will be continuing to see more definite future changes from climate change...but I don't think buying a place in the Ozarks--as lovely as this region is--will save us from these changes.

Just my opinion.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:17 AM

5,238 posts, read 7,949,261 times
pple will buy into anything, its the sheep mentality combined with fear mongering. i believe he is just a con man, but probably get rich from idiots quick to get on the train. the old line, there's a sucker born every minute is as true as it ever was. maybe even more so today.

retire where you choose to, but if i was you, id buffer myself with enough land to secure your own peace and privacy. good luck.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:37 AM

18,183 posts, read 16,747,601 times
Why am I such a sap??????? To actually take this guy seriously!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas