U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:16 AM

69,315 posts, read 79,508,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiemypet View Post
I graduated from E.S. in '96. The schools were really great, actually. I had some fantastic teachers. Of course, my only other experience were the schools in Huntsville,AR (not a fan) so it's all subjective, really.

One thing to consider if you have children (or, more importantly, teenagers) is that there is nothing whatsoever to do for young people, aside from going to the lake. There is a park that is below the Crescent Hotel, it is kind of out of the way, but at least it's something. There is no pool, no movie theaters, no "fun spots" for kids, no malls, not even a football team (too hilly for a field, but there is a b-ball team and the x-country team is, or at least was, great).

As far as saftey goes, it is totally fine, really. There might be a random gas-thieving from a gas station, or maybe a mailbox might get hit, but really, there isn't anything very bad going on.

The culture of the locals is an eclectic mix of yuppies and hippies, conservatives and liberals, religious, non-religious, and those who follow an alternative path. It's a happy melting-pot of variety for a population of 3,000.

Winters here are pretty mild, actually. Growing up (the past five years have been weird, though), you could count on an ice in November, rain on Christmas, a snow in January and a snow in late February. But you can count on a fairly mild winter. No worries about tornadoes in E.S, as it's too hilly. Ice can be a challenge on those hilly streets in the winter, so chains or just staying home, would be the way to go--but again, that would only be, like, 2 separate occasions in the winter, if that.

Far as drug/drinking problems go, in the mid 90s it was prevalent. I think a contributing factor is due to the lack of things to do except party.
Another contributing factor was that our student body was so diverse, the usual stereotypes did not apply. The "druggie" could very well be the star basketball player who was also on student council. The "goth" could be on honor roll, with a 4.0 and a star on the cross-country team. The art kids were friends with the geeks who were friends with the jocks and they were all active in the student government. Apply this to a very, very small population, then it would seem that all the kids did was party. Which is true. Except for me, I wasn't allowed to go out. So I had to work at McD's in order to have a social life.
It doesn't make much difference where you live today, drugs and especially alcohol is in all schools, it doesn't matter if the kids are the best students, the star swimmer, the future baseball player or what.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 02:39 PM

278 posts, read 881,363 times
Thanks for all the input so far.

I currently live 2 hrs from Detroit area and its true, drugs are everywhere. I didnt think a small town would be any different. Kids are kids... I have 2 boys though and so activities are important besides running free in the mountain country side, which I'm sure they would love to do too Our actually property isnt going to be in the city. I dont want to live in any city. I prefer to have some private property 20-30 miles outside of our choosen city. I have a job in either Fayetteville or Rogers I can transfer to.. So it has to be resonable distance to one of those cities.. But we are thinking of starting a business eventually in Eureka Springs.. So between there would be best. Whats the area like off of highway 23 and 412.. mapquest has cities named Clifty, Hindsville, Spring Valley, War Eagle?? Are those actual cities? Do they have schools? Stores? gas stations? Is it an easy drive to either ES or Fayetteville?

What about north of Beaver lake area... Garfield & Gateway areas.. Schools? stores?

There isnt much on the net about the small cities between the larger ones.. Thats one of the reason this forum is so cool And as for the larger cities info.. Every cities website makes it seem like its your home away from home..lol

Also would Rogers or Fayetteville have more for a family? Like parks, zoos, beaches, movies, skate parks, bike trails.. fun stuff for boys ages 5-15 to do???

Thanks for all your input!!!

Old 08-18-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needing more View Post

I currently live 2 hrs from Detroit area and its true, drugs are everywhere. I didnt think a small town would be any different. Kids are kids... I have 2 boys though and so activities are important besides running free in the mountain country side, which I'm sure they would love to do too Our actually property isnt going to be in the city. I dont want to live in any city. I prefer to have some private property 20-30 miles outside of our choosen city. I have a job in either Fayetteville or Rogers I can transfer to.. So it has to be resonable distance to one of those cities.. But we are thinking of starting a business eventually in Eureka Springs.. So between there would be best. Whats the area like off of highway 23 and 412.. mapquest has cities named Clifty, Hindsville, Spring Valley, War Eagle?? Are those actual cities? Do they have schools? Stores? gas stations? Is it an easy drive to either ES or Fayetteville?

What about north of Beaver lake area... Garfield & Gateway areas.. Schools? stores?

There isnt much on the net about the small cities between the larger ones.. Thats one of the reason this forum is so cool And as for the larger cities info.. Every cities website makes it seem like its your home away from home..lol

Also would Rogers or Fayetteville have more for a family? Like parks, zoos, beaches, movies, skate parks, bike trails.. fun stuff for boys ages 5-15 to do???

Beaver lake is also pretty much a tourist area. I think you may want to look into places like Pea Ridge or as I mentioned Huntsville. The reason I go back to Huntsville, our granddaughter and her husband just brought thier frst home there. He was raised in the area. Anyway she works in Fayetteville. It takes her about 45 minutes and if she were to get a job in Springdale or that general area it would only be a few minutes further.

Nita

Old 08-18-2009, 04:59 PM

278 posts, read 881,363 times
Nita- Are there schools in those cities? Whats the area like outside those city limits... say 5-10 miles out?? We dont want to live in a city... more off the beaten path. We want our house to have more of a backwoods kinda feel.. My dad would be coming with and hes retired.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Nita- Are there schools in those cities? Whats the area like outside those city limits... say 5-10 miles out?? We dont want to live in a city... more off the beaten path. We want our house to have more of a backwoods kinda feel.. My dad would be coming with and hes retired.
You can easily go 5 miles either direction and be totally in the country, still close to shopping, hospitals etc. Our granddaughter lives just on the outskirts of Huntsville. They are in a sub division with homes sites of 1 acre or more and the prices range from about $125,000 to over $200,000. Yes, Huntsville has a high school and lower level schools. The town itself is just over 2000 people. If I had one conplaint, the lots in their sub division do not have many trees, but the surrounding areas do.

I really think you should look in the areas between Fayetteville and Huntsville or Pea Ridge. There is another area that is pricier, a little nearer to Fayetteville that is absolutely awesome.

Nita

Old 08-19-2009, 07:41 AM

39,028 posts, read 23,160,162 times
Quote:

Out of the Clifty list of towns, Hindsville is your only real town, with schools and so on. The others are more community identities. Clifty has a gas station, I believe. Depending on where you live and where parents work, I think children either attend school in Hindsville or in Rogers. Spring Valley, if I remember correctly, is a community organized around a small church. That doesn't mean that the people in that community all attend that church or anything like that, just that the identity of the community was tied to a building that happened to be a church. War Eagle is similar in that the community identity is attached to the War Eagle Mill and River. Part of the community is closer to Springdale, part closer to Rogers.

Garfield and Gateway. Garfield is a real community, it has an elementary school (very cool architecture, by the way) and a couple of gas stations that have diners and mini-groceries attached to them. Lost Bridge is an adjunct community. The Lodge on Whitney Mountain at the top of Lost Bridge has a restaurant with fabulous views, but the restaurant has been through a series of owners and isn't always open. Garfield also has Across the Creek Restaurant, an all you can eat seafood buffet that's pretty popular with locals. Gateway has a post office and just recently re-opened restaurant. Much of Gateway's population are summer people who have homes around the lake in the Indian Creek area, and go further south for the winter.

All of these communities are easy commutes to Eureka Springs. Hindsville would be the easiest commute to Fayetteville.

Rogers versus Fayetteville. Fayetteville has been the dominant city in Northwest Arkansas since even before the University was built there. It has tons of activities for kids. But Northwest Arkansas itself is very kid-friendly. All four of the major NWA cities, Fayetteville Springdale Rogers Bentonville have movie theaters (well Bentonville doesn't, but the Rogers theaters are so close it doesn't make a difference, plus Bella Vista does on Bentonville's northern boundary), there are parks, skate parks, arcades, bike trails, hiking trails, public pools (Bentonville and Springdale have the best pool complexes), bowling alleys, and the libraries in all these communities have activities and contact information for other activies as well. There are also very active soccer leagues, peewee football, little league baseball, swim teams, junior basketball and so on. Rogers is the closest to Beaver Lake and the lake is more a center of activity for Rogers than for the other communities. Springdale also has several access points on the lake. You might just google the school districts to get a complete list of activities the schools offer. Just a sidenote, the four major cities have much more diverse populations than the small towns.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Out of the Clifty list of towns, Hindsville is your only real town, with schools and so on. The others are more community identities. Clifty has a gas station, I believe. Depending on where you live and where parents work, I think children either attend school in Hindsville or in Rogers. Spring Valley, if I remember correctly, is a community organized around a small church. That doesn't mean that the people in that community all attend that church or anything like that, just that the identity of the community was tied to a building that happened to be a church. War Eagle is similar in that the community identity is attached to the War Eagle Mill and River. Part of the community is closer to Springdale, part closer to Rogers.

Garfield and Gateway. Garfield is a real community, it has an elementary school (very cool architecture, by the way) and a couple of gas stations that have diners and mini-groceries attached to them. Lost Bridge is an adjunct community. The Lodge on Whitney Mountain at the top of Lost Bridge has a restaurant with fabulous views, but the restaurant has been through a series of owners and isn't always open. Garfield also has Across the Creek Restaurant, an all you can eat seafood buffet that's pretty popular with locals. Gateway has a post office and just recently re-opened restaurant. Much of Gateway's population are summer people who have homes around the lake in the Indian Creek area, and go further south for the winter.

All of these communities are easy commutes to Eureka Springs. Hindsville would be the easiest commute to Fayetteville.

Rogers versus Fayetteville. Fayetteville has been the dominant city in Northwest Arkansas since even before the University was built there. It has tons of activities for kids. But Northwest Arkansas itself is very kid-friendly. All four of the major NWA cities, Fayetteville Springdale Rogers Bentonville have movie theaters (well Bentonville doesn't, but the Rogers theaters are so close it doesn't make a difference, plus Bella Vista does on Bentonville's northern boundary), there are parks, skate parks, arcades, bike trails, hiking trails, public pools (Bentonville and Springdale have the best pool complexes), bowling alleys, and the libraries in all these communities have activities and contact information for other activies as well. There are also very active soccer leagues, peewee football, little league baseball, swim teams, junior basketball and so on. Rogers is the closest to Beaver Lake and the lake is more a center of activity for Rogers than for the other communities. Springdale also has several access points on the lake. You might just google the school districts to get a complete list of activities the schools offer. Just a sidenote, the four major cities have much more diverse populations than the small towns.
Clifty is about a service station and that is it. They may have a small diner, I am not sure. As for schools, our grandson in law attended Huntsville schools and was raised in Clifty. There are several smaller areas that feed into the Huntsville school district, or at least that is what he says. I guess he should know, I certainly don't. I do know Huntsville is a very cute little town, with some really nice surrounding areas.
Nita

Old 08-19-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Clifty is about a service station and that is it. They may have a small diner, I am not sure. As for schools, our grandson in law attended Huntsville schools and was raised in Clifty. There are several smaller areas that feed into the Huntsville school district, or at least that is what he says. I guess he should know, I certainly don't. I do know Huntsville is a very cute little town, with some really nice surrounding areas.
Nita
You're right, Nita, I was mixing up Hindsville and Huntsville.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You're right, Nita, I was mixing up Hindsville and Huntsville.
i don't know much about Hindsville, but I think it is pretty cool as well.

Nita

Old 08-19-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
i don't know much about Hindsville, but I think it is pretty cool as well.

Nita
I like Hindsville, too. I just get the two mixed up sometimes because they're so closeby each other. I think Hindsville kids go to school in Huntsville, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas