Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 12:07 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,547,656 times

Advertisements

Mennonites own and operate a nursing home in Harrison. It is the best one in town. They also have a bakery. They are part of the community, and are not 'stared' at. I would much rather see their manner of dress, than the near nudity of a lot of the people here in the summer. They do not have horse drawn vehicles. They drive cars and vans, like everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 11:37 PM

83 posts, read 232,177 times
Egg Harbor, WI
Sister Bay, WI

Old 09-04-2009, 12:00 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needing more View Post
You have to be kidding

Gary is a factory town.. You couldnt pay me to go there w/o a air tank..lol

Saugatuck, MI... Right on Lk MI.. Just like Eureka area w/o the mtns but you have the lake/ beaches instead.. Spent many a summer up there

Lots of B&Bs, art studios, cute downtown, cottages, gay-friendly... Lots of tourists there in the summer too... Oh yeah.. cant forget about Kilwins ice cream and fudge.. Yum...
Oh come on!!!!!!!!!!!!You dont find Gary, Indiana to be a beautiful, top notch tourist destination?????????????? Broken glass and syringe strewn streets. The wonderful urine odor wafting thru the air. The brown Christmas snow! You just dont have any taste do you???????????

Old 09-04-2009, 12:07 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,313,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you can't be serious: how little you know? The Amish country have complete tourists centers set up for just that. They give home tours, have gift shops, strip shopping centers etc. This is a huge money maker for both the Amish and the Menites in PA. I don't think many make rude comments to them. What would make you think something like that?

Nita
Not you again.

I lived in an Amish community for a number of years. I can assure you that 1) most of the 'tourist centers' in Amish communities are not operated by the Amish and 2) I have witnessed--in person--many people gawking, insulting, and making rude comments towards the Amish.

Which Amish communities have you lived in? What kind of daily personal contact have you had with the Amish? Oh, that's right -- None. As usual, you're just making stuff up and being contrary for the sake of being contrary. You're not only an expert on Arkansas (despite barely living within the boundaries of the state for barely a year), you're also an expert on the Amish.

BTW, it's Mennonites, not Menites. And they're an entirely different group.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:24 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Not you again.

I lived in an Amish community for a number of years. I can assure you that 1) most of the 'tourist centers' in Amish communities are not operated by the Amish and 2) I have witnessed--in person--many people gawking, insulting, and making rude comments towards the Amish.

Which Amish communities have you lived in? What kind of daily personal contact have you had with the Amish? Oh, that's right -- None. As usual, you're just making stuff up and being contrary for the sake of being contrary. You're not only an expert on Arkansas (despite barely living within the boundaries of the state for barely a year), you're also an expert on the Amish.

BTW, it's Mennonites, not Menites. And they're an entirely different group.
and I would say you are 110% wrong. Have I lived in any Amish communities?Nope, cause most that live in the communities are Amish. Do I know the difference between Amish and Mennonites (parden me all to hell) yes, I do. If you would stop taking apart everything I say you would see I lived very near a Mennoite community for 7 years and no, I never saw one person stare at them, or make unkind remarks. They shopped in the near by Wal Mart all the time. Again, I don't think most of us thought much about them except we loved their bulk store plus many hired them as handy men and landscapers. Our biggest problem with hiring them, they were a little over priced.

As for most of the tourist centers in Pa being run by other than Amish, I din't think to ask, but maybe they are and those who work in them wear Amish clothing to make it seem more authentic. The same with the Amish homes open for tours, they too, I guess are not really run by Amish families. Well if you know I am wrong, good for you.. Actually you were the one that started this contrary business. A few of us were discussing places that were fun to visit and unique. The subject of the Amish country came up. If I suggested visiting San Francisco or someone else suggested that would you say we were just saying that to make fun of gays? Or touring the White House is mainly for people who hope to see the President and make fun of him or his family? I really do not know why you have that attitude or why you seem to always be looking for the negative in peoples comments.

Nita

Old 09-05-2009, 09:12 AM

807 posts, read 2,514,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
If people came to Arkansas from other parts of the country to gawk at the Baptists, snap pictures of them, ask stupid questions of them, and make rude comments to them, Arkansans would be outraged
They don't do that?

Old 10-26-2009, 11:23 PM

4 posts, read 11,495 times
Hot Springs...definitely.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:52 AM

602 posts, read 1,515,731 times
If the OP is looking for communities similar if vibe to Eureka Springs, what about Asheville, NC?

Hilton Head, SC, I don't think so. Savannah, possibly. It has old homes and antique stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas