U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 12:28 PM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
We're retirees who moved from TX to AR a year ago. We have substantial pension income, more than most retirees.

Our property taxes and insurance are much lower in AR. Our HOA went from $1600 to zero.
But state income tax, higher cost of groceries, and higher utility bills mean our COL has increased by about $4k a year. (Higher utility bills mainly because our house here is less efficient than the one in TX; higher grocery costs due to sales tax but also groceries in general are higher compared to what we paid in TX)

We'd be good with that, our quality of life here is so much better.
But here's a thing: we're so happy here and find so much to do nearby that our travel/vacation costs for this past year were less than $2k, whereas previously we budgeted $10K-$12k a year. So all-in-all we're coming out ahead, financially.
interesting our utility bills are about 1/2 of what they were in Texas; our daughter says the same and she has a bigger house than she had in the Dallas area. I think in our case it has to do with our home here being more efficient,the opposite of what you are experiencing. Groceries, that I would agree with you. We don't have the selection of chain stores thus the prices are a bit higher and yes, the taxes are on food as well, but really it doesn't affect us that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 01:31 PM

2,109 posts, read 623,493 times
Quote:
Groceries, that I would agree with you.
Yeah, I haven't found anything, anywhere, that can beat the prices HEB provides in Texas.

Everything else seems to be individual situations and chance.

While I think I see a trend that the richer a person is the less advantages they find in moving to AR (for guys like me, well, I make out like a bandit), every person is going to find a different situation, due to things like where their money comes from, how many in their family, and what property they own. The guy who opened this thread owned an airplane, so obviously he is in a different economic situation than I am.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:55 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,236,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
someday you will get another chance to move here and it will work out that time.
Nothing would please me more, Nita. We still dream of that home in the meadow with the Ozark (or Ouachita) hills as a backdrop. Arkansas sun setting on the horizon after a spring thunderstorm.....*sigh* The Natural State occupies a large section of my soul.

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 12-29-2017 at 03:11 PM..

Old 12-29-2017, 04:06 PM

170 posts, read 120,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Nothing would please me more, Nita. We still dream of that home in the meadow with the Ozark (or Ouachita) hills as a backdrop. Arkansas sun setting on the horizon after a spring thunderstorm.....*sigh* The Natural State occupies a large section of my soul.
I can surely second that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have grown to love Arkansas in just a few visits. I just wish DW felt the same.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:04 PM

Posted by TRYZTOLL

Arkansas is a much more desirable place to live IMO, all things considered......and the reasons have everything to do with the adjusted COL statistics in each state.

Believe me, numbers aside I prefer AR over TX every day of the week and THREE times on Sunday. Had things been as many have advertised we'd be living there right now.

I agree with the need to make finances work. However, as I approach 60, there are some things money cannot compete with. The pure beauty of the Natural State has an intrinsic value that money cannot compete with. I live in Illinois. Arkansas is cheaper in some ways, not in other ways. At this point , I am working to convince DW that her fear of the wild aspects of Arkansas are a risk worth taking. That's coming from a guy who jumped out of airplanes for 10 years.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:31 PM

2,109 posts, read 623,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorearkansas View Post
I agree with the need to make finances work. However, as I approach 60, there are some things money cannot compete with. The pure beauty of the Natural State has an intrinsic value that money cannot compete with. I live in Illinois. Arkansas is cheaper in some ways, not in other ways. At this point , I am working to convince DW that her fear of the wild aspects of Arkansas are a risk worth taking. That's coming from a guy who jumped out of airplanes for 10 years.
What part of IL do you live?
I lived near Vandalia and Hillsborough for a time, and South of Peoria through high school.

Will it be any easier to convince her when IL becomes like Puerto Rico or Venezuela? The IL economy is in a death spiral, with future outlays increasing and future incomes remaining stable or decreasing. There are areas of IL where the economy looks good and things look like they are going along fine, but even if you live a long ways from the fiascos I linked to below, it is only a matter of time till they will be knocking on your door.

If she understands economics, you might discuss those issues with her.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/illin...at-depression/
Quote:
There are fewer Illinoisans working today than there were 10 years ago. Millions of Illinoisans are feeling the brunt of the state’s economic pain and financial meltdown in the form of joblessness and hopelessness. Too many families are dealing with unemployment and underemployment, and too few are able to find their dream jobs in the Land of Lincoln. That’s because Illinois has the Great Depression economy of the Midwest.

In fact, Illinois’ economic growth is worse than during the worst years of America’s Great Depression. Illinois’ gross state product, which measures total economic activity, has increased by barely more than 4 percent over the past decade. In comparison, the U.S. gross domestic product during America’s Great Depression increased by nearly 10 percent during the worst decade of the Great Depression, from 1930-1939.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckde.../#319e4f62417c
Quote:
Illinois offers a textbook case of the coming pension fund meltdown with its years-long slow motion fiscal train wreck where on Monday, the Illinois House overrode Gov. Bruce Rauner’s veto of the Chicago police and fire pension bill at the urging of Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel. With the Senate’s override vote earlier, the bill becomes law. Without the bill, Mayor Emanuel warned of a “Rauner Tax”—a $300 million property tax hike made necessary by the fiscally-strapped city being unable to borrow $843 million from its pension fund at 7.75% to meet current obligations.

Gov. Rauner said the veto override would put “… an additional $18.6 billion on the backs of taxpayers” warning about “…governments (that) fail to promptly fund pension obligations” and kick the can down the road instead of enacting reforms to “grow our economy, create jobs and enable us live up to the promises we’ve made to police and firefighters.”

Gov. Rauner has a strong point. In three separate tranches starting in 2003 under Gov. Rod Blagojevich and ending in 2011 under Gov. Pat Quinn, Illinois borrowed $17.2 billion to cover its pension obligations. This year’s payments on the debt total about $1.4 billion, according to a report from the Illinois Policy Institute.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:12 PM

Leaving Illinois is an absolute. No need to convince us of the obvious death roll. If I don't leave, I may become a politician assassin. It's a war I would love to fight but realize it as unwinnable. Illinois needs to go to the bottom before the politicians will flee or get lynched by the citizens.

It's the relocation destination that is in question. So far, we have considered Blue Ridge GA, Kentucky Lake area in Ky and Tn, North Ar (between Mountain Home and Yellville). Next year we will be visiting WI on a trip up thru Rhinelander, Minoqua, Mercer and Bayfield. I'm not a big fan of WI for many of the same Illinois reasons. Wisconsin is one election away from jumping off the cliff again and it is a pricey place to live. Problem is DW spent many childhood summers up near Eagle River. That is what all other possible destinations are competing against.

I hope to do a Fall color trip to Ar in early October. Perhaps we will go back to Petit Jean. The Lodge is a terrific accommodation, the views breathtaking.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:47 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,026,502 times
Funny how i read this thread. I moved from Ark to Tex for jobs.. Only to find out they pay great compare to what i can get back home, but COL is a huge difference. Even tho you dont have sales tax on food, they make it up in tolls, rent increases and other areas.

By far COL in Arkansas is cheaper then Tex in general. Just wish ARK can pay the market wages we need and keep its COL low.. but nope..

Old 12-30-2017, 11:41 AM

20 posts, read 17,215 times
We are still comparing our area in Texas to some in Arkansas. We live in Austin which is expensive because property values have sky rocketed.... We are going into retirement. So our income will be lower.... We do not own boats etc. just two cars. So I think we'll be ok tax wise.........Houses are a fraction of what they cost here.

Old 12-30-2017, 12:01 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,236,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorearkansas View Post
I can surely second that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have grown to love Arkansas in just a few visits. I just wish DW felt the same.
Actually, we're very happy here in MN after moving from TX last spring. Very beautiful state, and the driftless region resembles the Ozarks in a lot.of ways. Wages here are excellent, COL is reasonable all things considered, and other things like the parks systems and the schools are absolutely top notch. The winters (as we're seeing now) are brutal, but the springs and summers can't be beat. We plan to settle here, but if we ever do move again it will be Arkansas somehow, some way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or