Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 08:41 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertysFate View Post
It's like that in Houston for sure because my boyfriend and I talked to our postman and he'd tell us when he'd come by so we'd know when to meet him up when we're expecting a package.
I could've sworn it was that way in Austin too but my dad said it was only delivered once, however, I remember seeing the postman come by TWICE in one day. Once in the morning and then again in the afternoon.

I didn't notice it either until I moved to Houston.

ETA: Apparently mail use to be delivered twice a day back in the "old" days.
But I read somewhere that commercial properties in some places do get mail delivery twice a day.
I've never heard of anywhere getting twice-daily postal service. Sometimes the mailman has found something after passing by and on his way back from the end of the route will drop it off, and recently my rural-route lady had so many packages that one Saturday morning she did a package run first with her kids running the packages to each person's door, and then she did her regular mail run that afternoon, but even when I lived in major cities, I don't recall the post office actually running delivery twice a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 12:26 PM

522 posts, read 1,405,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I've never heard of anywhere getting twice-daily postal service. Sometimes the mailman has found something after passing by and on his way back from the end of the route will drop it off, and recently my rural-route lady had so many packages that one Saturday morning she did a package run first with her kids running the packages to each person's door, and then she did her regular mail run that afternoon, but even when I lived in major cities, I don't recall the post office actually running delivery twice a day.
I guess it's just certain places then.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:51 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Some other things I noticed.

1. Mail is only delivered once a day. I can't speak for the whole state but I know back home mail is delivered twice because when I order textbooks I watch the postman like a hawk until I get my package.

2. Food costs a bit more. My dad actually pointed this out to me. Today we went to get groceries and spent more than we normally do and only bought half the amount of food we typically get.

3. There's tax on food.

4. Car insurance is super cheap.
I don't know of anyplace where mail is delivered twice a day. That stopped in Ca with I was in high school a million years ago. We have lived in Fl, VA, Tx, NM and here, one delivery for years.. Yes, there is tax on food, but the basic prices, depending on where you shop are about the same as most of Texas and NM. Some things are cheaper, more higher. meat is less here for sure.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I thought the grocery tax in AR was done away with not too long ago?
No, it is down to 3% but still here.

Nita

Old 10-09-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No, it is down to 3% but still here.

Nita
My receipt says 5.25%.

As for the mail delivery I've already explained it.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
My receipt says 5.25%.
Is your receipt from a restaurant, or from the grocery? Are any of the products non-food items, and therefore subject to a different tax rate? Since property taxes are so low in Arkansas, sales tax tends to be how the state balances that deficiency. But the sales tax system is very complex. The state charges its tax. The county tax gets added in. The city tax gets added in. There are tourism taxes in some areas. There are "sin" taxes in some places.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Is your receipt from a restaurant, or from the grocery? Are any of the products non-food items, and therefore subject to a different tax rate? Since property taxes are so low in Arkansas, sales tax tends to be how the state balances that deficiency. But the sales tax system is very complex. The state charges its tax. The county tax gets added in. The city tax gets added in. There are tourism taxes in some areas. There are "sin" taxes in some places.
Grocery. I've checked several grocery receipts and they all say 5.25%. All items are food.
I have noticed the other taxes too because it's usually listed at the end of the receipt. But nope, all of my grocery receipt has one tax, and I'm pretty sure it's the food tax and not the sales tax (the sales tax is much higher).
I know about the sin taxes. I don't smoke or drink so it doesn't really effect me.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Grocery. I've checked several grocery receipts and they all say 5.25%. All items are food.
I have noticed the other taxes too because it's usually listed at the end of the receipt. But nope, all of my grocery receipt has one tax, and I'm pretty sure it's the food tax and not the sales tax (the sales tax is much higher).
I know about the sin taxes. I don't smoke or drink so it doesn't really effect me.
I think, then, that there's the 3% state tax (and I believe that the plan is to phase that out), and then you must have a municipal or county tax (or both) on food that comprises the additional 2.25%.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I think, then, that there's the 3% state tax (and I believe that the plan is to phase that out), and then you must have a municipal or county tax (or both) on food that comprises the additional 2.25%.
Ah I see.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
My receipt says 5.25%.

As for the mail delivery I've already explained it.
If it is 5.25% that is a county and city tax as well, the state tax is 3%. As for already explaining the 2 deliveries a day, I hadn't read your response when I mentioned all the places we have lived and never had 2 deliveries. I did talk to my daughter in law will X, they live outside of Houston and she had never heard of 2 either. I think it must be just a small area where you lived. Why you got 2 no one knows as this is a federal policy set up by the US postal service and has to do with salaries. I don't think you are going to live anywhere else in your life with 2 day. In fact within the next few years we will probably be down to 5 a week with Wednesdays or Sat being eliminated. Again, this has nothing to do with where any of us live.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas