U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 04:44 PM

522 posts, read 810,064 times
Default Random things I've noticed about Fort Smith

I've only been here a little over a week and here's what I noticed:

1. Surprisingly a lot of libraries but not many bookstores. I haven't seen a Barnes a Noble yet, and the Walden in the mall is probably the smallest Walden I've ever seen. On the plus side, Books-a-million is a good size.

2. I've only seen one Target.

3. One mall and it doesn't have any of the stores I'm use to seeing in every mall. I didn't even see a Macy's and that's a major department store. And yet, I see ads on TV for Macy's.

4. I don't think this applies all over Fort Smith, probably just certain neighborhoods but people use their recycling bin as trash bins too. We didn't even get a trash bin with our house. In Austin, both came with the house and it's the rubber kind with wheels not the old school round kind.

5. Trash isn't picked up in the morning. I got home about (5pm) 30 minutes ago and our trash was just picked up. The guys weren't even wearing uniforms.

6. When my brother's fiance went into a day care to pick up a job application she didn't find anyone. In fact she went in and the first door she came to were where the kids were napping and there was no adult supervision. All the adults were hanging out in a different room. I was shocked that no one was watching the little ones. In the end they couldn't find where the application was kept. Um...yeah, if I had kids I wouldn't leave them at that day care.

7. Why does Fort Smith have DC50? At first I thought it was a place close by but then I noticed the logo and Googled it. It's DC as in Washington DC. Fort Smith is a long way from DC.

8. The public libraries take their fines very seriously.

9. Meter parking is only 25 cents for an hour!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 05:41 PM

1,466 posts, read 2,463,006 times
1. No Barnes a Noble. You can find some used book stores here and there. There is one on the east end of Garrison; I think it is called "Book Ends"

2. Wal-Mart owns Arkansas. That Target is brand new, The K-Mart just got shut down.

3. Central Mall isn't the greatest. I think there is a Macy's in Fayetteville or at Pinnacle Hills.

4. I don't know anything about this. I live in Van Buren.

5. That is strange.

6. Day cares are hit-and-miss in any city. Would you be willing to say the name for the sake of concerned Fort Smith parents?

7. Why does Fort Smith have DC50? At first I thought it was a place close by but then I noticed the logo and Googled it. It's DC as in Washington DC. Fort Smith is a long way from DC.

8. lol. As a researcher, I spend a lot of time in the main library across from Creekmore Park. They have an online system that allows you to extend your due date (as well as a lot of other features).

9. And free after 5 pm daily and on weekends.
---------------------------------------

Although I like Fort Smith, you can't compare Austin to Fort Smith. Austin is a wonderful city; Fort Smith is a fine place, but it is no Austin.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:13 AM

485 posts, read 1,008,159 times
Some very interesting comments about Fort Smith. I happen to love the place and visit as often as I can... That being said you're comparing apples and oranges! Fort Smith and Austin are two completely different demographics.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:14 AM
Status: "Give just a little of yourself to others." (set 10 days ago)

48,906 posts, read 40,259,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertysFate View Post
I've only been here a little over a week and here's what I noticed:

1. Surprisingly a lot of libraries but not many bookstores. I haven't seen a Barnes a Noble yet, and the Walden in the mall is probably the smallest Walden I've ever seen. On the plus side, Books-a-million is a good size.

2. I've only seen one Target.

3. One mall and it doesn't have any of the stores I'm use to seeing in every mall. I didn't even see a Macy's and that's a major department store. And yet, I see ads on TV for Macy's.

4. I don't think this applies all over Fort Smith, probably just certain neighborhoods but people use their recycling bin as trash bins too. We didn't even get a trash bin with our house. In Austin, both came with the house and it's the rubber kind with wheels not the old school round kind.

5. Trash isn't picked up in the morning. I got home about (5pm) 30 minutes ago and our trash was just picked up. The guys weren't even wearing uniforms.

6. When my brother's fiance went into a day care to pick up a job application she didn't find anyone. In fact she went in and the first door she came to were where the kids were napping and there was no adult supervision. All the adults were hanging out in a different room. I was shocked that no one was watching the little ones. In the end they couldn't find where the application was kept. Um...yeah, if I had kids I wouldn't leave them at that day care.

8. The public libraries take their fines very seriously.

9. Meter parking is only 25 cents for an hour!
We have never lived in Ft Smith so my opinions are from the standpoint of a tourist or visitor only.

I can't respond to all your comments but can a few.

Not having a Macy's. Sorry I don't think that is a big deal. Not all towns have Macy's, in fact many nice sized ones do not and this shouldn't make any difference to anyone. Remember Ft Smith is not a thriving metropolis. The city would have trouble supporting more than one shopping center right now.

Fines for not returning books on time? I certainly hope you didn't mean this in a negative way.

Your house didn't come with a trash bin, guess what? We have only lived one place where they were funished and that was Texas. VA, NM and AR you furnish your own. This isn't unusual; I don't think it is something I would even think twice about.

The childcare issue is another thing. But, I will add to that, no matter what city or town one lives in, there are going to be good and bad child care centers. Try not to judge by one experience. The best way to assure a good center is to do research on the internet.

And last but not least, which I am sure has been pointed out: Ft Smith is very different than Austin. The best thing anyone can do, when re-locating is look for the positives not the negatives. No place is utopia, Austin has so many wonderful things to offer, but so does Ft Smith, in a totally different way. I am sure people who have lived in Ft Smith and relocate to Austin can see the differences as well. This isn't negative or positive, just fact. If I had to choose between living in the two cities, from what I know, I would probably choose Austin, but that is me. Many others would prefer the small town atmosphere which Austin is quickly loosing and some would prefer the conservative enviornment as well. Austin is becoming very progressive and is the most liberal of the major cities in Texas. Again, not good or bad, just the way it is.

One thing I love about Ft Smith, I love the area around the river and the historical surroundings.

Nita

Old 09-29-2009, 08:33 AM

1,633 posts, read 2,979,083 times
Quote:
You'd never make it in my neighborhood.

Not only do the trash workers not wear uniforms, there are no trash workers.

You either burn it, recycle it, bury it, or drive it to a pay dump.

Although we do get some you-know-whats that think dumping it at the side of a dirt road is OK.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:02 AM

838 posts, read 1,358,125 times
Little Rock gives you a trash can and recycle bin. I wish the sizes were reversed though. We have way more recycling every week than trash.

I'm glad to hear Ft. Smith doesn't have a Macy's. I'd be ticked if they had one and Little Rock didn't!

Old 09-29-2009, 09:12 AM

777 posts, read 729,359 times
Quote:
I didn't even see a Macy's and that's a major department store. And yet, I see ads on TV for Macy's.
Oh well. Macy's is teetering on the brink. It may not be long before Macy's goes the way of Oldsmobile and Montgomery Ward.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
Oh well. Macy's is teetering on the brink. It may not be long before Macy's goes the way of Oldsmobile and Montgomery Ward.
I have a whole theory on this. I think comsumers are leaning more toward the trendy outside malls, smaller, with more emphasis on small chains and independant stores just like we are when it comes to dining. Many of the larger chains are closing some of their restaurants. Add to the attraction of the newer malls, the internet and people just are not looking for the old, huge, enclosed malls with 3 or 4 major dept stores. We are seeing it in grocery shopping as well. More of us are using a combination of bulk warehouse shopping and small independent groceries stores. This isn't just in AR where we don't have many true chains but throughout the country.
But of course I am way off the topic now.
Nita

Old 10-01-2009, 12:51 AM

522 posts, read 810,064 times
Chill Nita, I wasn't comparing the two cities I was just pointing out things I've noticed. Well, except for the trash/recycling bin part but that wasn't really comparing, merely pointing out. I could've used another city as an example.
I may have moved from Austin but I spent the last 3 years in Houston (minus the 7 months I moved back home before moving to Ft. Smith). As much as I love Austin, I actually prefer Houston. I love the cultural diversity (usually means diversity in cuisine. I'm all about the food. ) and sophistication that Houston offers.

I didn't say library fines were a bad thing I just noticed how serious the libraries take it. Of course it really doesn't matter to me since I don't generally check out books at public libraries anyway. I have a hard time parting with my books so I tend to buy rather than borrow.

As for the day care, I thought about posting up the name but then I started worrying about some potential kidnappers and sickos out there lurking online so...I went with not posting the name of the day care.

Not having a Macy is just shocking to me since every mall I've ever been to has had one. Like I said, it's one of the main department stores. I don't just mean in Texas, I've lived and visited other states so it was just surprising to me. I'm mostly disappointed in the lack of clothing stores. I can order stuff I want online but the shipping fees are a pain, and if the clothes doesn't fit right I'd have to return it and then wait for the new size to come in. In case you hadn't noticed sizes vary among stores. A lot of wasted time and money. I only brought Macy's up because of the lack of clothing stores.

I noticed there are a lot of second hand stores around here too.
I've also noticed no Gap or Banana Republic, which is strange because there's an Old Navy and they're under the same company. But I'm assuming that Old Navy is new too. There's also no J.Crew or Express. Not that any of it matters because I can always order or do all of my shopping when I make trips to Houston or Austin, just an observation.

The free meter parking after 5pm I expected. I'd be surprised if I had to pay.

I haven't seen any squirrels here. I'm just so use to seeing them everywhere, they're like pigeons and rats. Speaking of pigeons, I haven't seen many of those around either. I don't know, maybe they're getting ready for winter.

Does Arkansas have an outlet mall?

Oh, almost forgot. There are a lot of non-chain pharmacies here.
I also noticed a bumper sticker that said "Keep Fayetteville Funky," made me smile and think of Austin's "Keep Austin Weird" stickers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
Little Rock gives you a trash can and recycle bin. I wish the sizes were reversed though. We have way more recycling every week than trash.

I'm glad to hear Ft. Smith doesn't have a Macy's. I'd be ticked if they had one and Little Rock didn't!
Yay for recycling.
We happened to have an extra trash bin so we used that for trash and kept the recycling bin for recycling. I wished it was bigger too. I always feel so guilty trashing anything that can be recycled.

Last edited by LibertysFate; 10-01-2009 at 01:51 AM..

Old 10-01-2009, 04:13 AM

I didn't really take it the way you thought I did. I was doing what you were only visa versa. I asked you if you thought the fine thing was bad, not suggesting any thing. I just wasn't sure what you meant.

I will say you did sound like you were comparing, I am not the only one who noticed it. That is why I mentioned it.

I will only make one more statement: about the Macy's thing, I am guessing Macy's must be more popular in the part of Texas you have lived than other places. We have lived all over the country and not seen that many of them. We didn't have them in So Ca (now, might be different since most of the dept stores are owned by a couple of firms and have changed names) we did have them in San Francisco, but not Sac. We had a few in the D.C. area, but certainly not all malls, we didn't have one in our mall no west of Dallas and only had one in Abq. Many places Dillards is the main Dept store and as I said, dept stores are not the trendy thing anymore. I wonder how many more years we will even have them.

Again, I didn't mean for you to take what I said as negative as much as pointing out you are talking about a very small city, almost just a town with a major city.

No, I don't think AR has any outlet malls, lots of people go to Branson for them.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas