Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating unsure where to go, need employment for myself and 16 year old ASAP, not much money to move, child with special needs so school important

Old 05-09-2007, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 5,702 times

Advertisements

Help anyone my friend suggested Russellville I'm not sure. I have 4 kids age range 3-16. 2 kids need some special education. I've been self-employed for past 11 years but need job out of that type work. Don't have much money to move on so need a city were I can find job fast and where 16yr old can find work also. Any and all suggestions will be helpful thanks in advance. Ladydragon2003
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 02:30 AM

24 posts, read 113,798 times
Little Rock?

Old 05-10-2007, 04:13 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Lady -

I am in Russellville and a neighbor has a Down's syndrome child....she has been very, very pleased with her child's education thus far (I believe the girl is about 14 right now?)

There are plenty of job opportunities for kids, but it IS a college town with a very small college - it's also a dry county, so that eliminates the older college kids from working in bars. Many work at the fast food and local joints, and there are a LOT of them. If your 16-year-old has any wait experience at all, s/he could most likely find a job fairly quickly, especially with school letting out for the summer and the college kids going home.

You don't say what type work you do so it's difficult for me to point you in any direction. If you can be more specific about what you are looking for, I'll let you know if it's readily available.

Arkansas has a program called ARKids which helps special needs kids get extra therapy, etc. I don't know what type of special education you are looking for - if your children are autistic, I would say Little Rock as well. Many people don't know about the state programs available here - my sister considered a move to Atlanta but could not get the same services for her autistic child there - her child received over $60K in state-supported therapies last year alone. He is Medicaid due to his disability, but Arkansas underwrites whatever the national Medicaid doesn't...her out-of-pocket expenses have actually been pretty minimal. I guess a lot would depend on what kind of special education they need and their ages.

This is a pretty blue-collar town with a laid back atmosphere. I will tell you there isn't a lot for kids to do in the way of malls, etc., but there's a bowling alley, skating rink, the Boys and Girls Club is very active, lots and lots of sports and school functions.

I think you would like it very much here - it's a very friendly town that is growing by leaps and bounds. I know there is a new 500,000 square foot "mall" that is going in with Target, PetsMart, and some other new busineses. We're getting our first Starbucks, if that's any encouragement! Church activities are also a huge part of life in the River Valley.

We absolutely love it here - moved in 2000, took a year off in 2005 and moved to the Caribbean for a year - but when we came "home", it was to Russellville.

Give me some more info on the type job you are looking for and I'll let you know what's out there - Tyson's and the nuclear plant are by far the largest employers in Pope/Yell counties.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 05-10-2007 at 04:19 AM.. Reason: word omission -request for further info

Old 05-10-2007, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,702 times
Thanks for the info. Ecspecially SAM I AM!!!! I have alot of experience in fastfood, telemarketing, and some secretarial. I really can't do the factory work anymore (unless they make some concessions). My son doesn't have any experience first job. And as far as special services one son just need extra help in math (hes in special ed here for that) and the other son is ADHD, ODD, and possible bipolar (too young to diagnose). So if you know of anythings about this i'd appreciate the help. Also anything about rental property.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:24 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times
Well, there are enough fast food places and grocery stores and a super Wal Mart here - I would think your son could find something fairly easily, provided he has a good work ethic. This is a very hardworking town for the most part and it is still appreciated.

For you, I would suggest applying with Nuclear One (you have to have gov't clearance on that one, so if you have any boo-boos in your past, just say no!) - ConAgra is huge here and has a factory but has an enormous support staff of office workers, and of course Tyson's rules in Arkansas - the Tyson's plant and offices are just over the river in Dardanelle - and if it weren't for the river, you wouldn't be able to tell the two towns apart. Dardanelle probably has more Hispanic families but because it is not the county seat, everything is MUCH cheaper on the south side of the river as far as rentals go.

I am asking gently, because I don't know how to ask any other way - your son that is possibly bipolar - could he be on the autistic spectrum? If so, I would say Little Rock, where Easter Seals does AMAZING things....the only problem is that after a certain period of time they are too old for anything other than after school tutoring/care at Easter Seals and have to make it in the public schools or go private - there are two private places in Little Rock, The Academy, owned by Lizeanne Rockefeller, and the other one I forget the name of - owned by Dr. Cynthia Frazier. Both are for kids with special needs, not just autistic, but they are fairly expensive as well. The cost of living is higher in Little Rock, but I would think you would need to interview a school aide, if that is necessary. I do not know if they have scholarships available or if they charge on an income curve. I don't believe so.

There are quite a number of apartments that are nice, but you can usually rent a house for not much more, particularly if you stay in the more historic areas that are slowly being renovated.

Let me know if I can help you anymore...and good luck!

Old 05-30-2007, 11:22 AM

2 posts, read 4,870 times
Id suggest Pottsville for their superb schooling and if you enjoyed telemarketing then you may wanna try The Heritage Company they raise money for spec. olympics. cost of living is lower then russellville and there are a lot of good ppl there

Old 10-08-2007, 06:30 PM

3 posts, read 9,523 times
Default Russellville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladydragon2003 View Post
Help anyone my friend suggested Russellville I'm not sure. I have 4 kids age range 3-16. 2 kids need some special education. I've been self-employed for past 11 years but need job out of that type work. Don't have much money to move on so need a city were I can find job fast and where 16yr old can find work also. Any and all suggestions will be helpful thanks in advance. Ladydragon2003

Well we moved to Russellville 3 months ago the schools are good, and plenty of things for the kids if they like fishing sports theres also a game shop in the area for playing com****r games xbox etc! some good shops and some good places to eat too! people have been friendly ,so going well .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas