U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 09:35 PM

20 posts, read 33,533 times

Advertisements

We really gotta learn from our low tax neighbors...

The Tax Foundation - State and Local Tax Burdens: All States, One Year, 1977-2008 (more taxed than Massachusetts!?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 10:15 PM

1,466 posts, read 2,541,114 times
Oklahoma is only 5 spots better at 19th and I don't want to have anything like what they have. Their roads are horrible and their education system is in shambles.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:27 PM

Yea, all the other states are in the 40s. I think that the North Dallas area is the best deal for a new college graduate right now.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
Oklahoma is only 5 spots better at 19th and I don't want to have anything like what they have. Their roads are horrible and their education system is in shambles.

Texas and Tennessee very tax friendly.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Yea, all the other states are in the 40s. I think that the North Dallas area is the best deal for a new college graduate right now.
I'm in that exact position...I want to come back, but i hate the fact Arkansas dips in your pockets for another 5-7% in state income taxes.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboast View Post
I'm in that exact position...I want to come back, but i hate the fact Arkansas dips in your pockets for another 5-7% in state income taxes.
I guess that is what we deserve since we keep electing Democrats for governors. I miss Huckabee.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:51 PM

103 posts, read 244,760 times
Default Texas is spelled t-a-x-e-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboast View Post
Texas and Tennessee very tax friendly.
Taxes is like a magic trick some places. No income tax but outrageous USE and PROPERTY taxes.

The only problem with Texas is Texas..and taxes.
Actually, hill country is fine. The rest you can give back to Mexico.

I moved here from Tennessee so my wife could take a good job.
Five months, one house and a hurricane later....no job.

Texas may be a no income tax state but you get nailed on everything else.

My municipality just raised taxes because they discovered they were not prepared to deal with a big storm! How many big storms does it take before these Einsteins can screw in a light bulb? Hello..you're in a hurricane zone. Stop building slab homes on flood zone swamp land that is
10 feet above sea level! Stop building cardboard stilt houses that fly apart in 50 mph winds if high water doesn't knock them off their pilings first!

I pay 600. a year in assn. dues. I pay 1600 for windstorm and then you have to fight them if one comes to pay up on a claim. I pay 1500 for a utility tax so they can keep laying pipe for all the miles of sprawl that keeps on coming. Then..well, lets just compare Texas taxes to Tennessee.

I had a home on three acres with a creek on Signal Mountain that was valued at 300k. I paid 1100. property taxes a year, No homeowners assn fees either because everyone didn't have to pay to be told to be clean and neat...and we all planted flowers at our entrance and chipped in.

Here in Houston for my 250k home in sardine-ville, I pay 7500. a year in property taxes. You won't see a lone star flag flying outside my house.

Hey and Tennessee has hills and seasons, good roads, and reasonable housing built on lots that don't allow you to reach into your neighbors bathroom from yours. Go Vols.

But..my wife has family here so we compromised. We aren't moving back to Tennessee ..rather to Hot Springs because it's quality of life, change of seasons, lots of nature and no horrendous hour commutes.

At least in Arkansas, you HAVE nature. Here, it's hellacious heat, traffic, primetime crme, refineries, power lines and concrete flatlands.At least on income tax, you can get most of it back. Property taxes are gone forever.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:00 AM

50,058 posts, read 42,397,444 times
Like all stats, these charts can be misleading. We are heavily taxed, no doubt and yet, much depends on your income level and age. For the middle and upper income person with a family that buys a lot of merchandise and food AR is right up there, for those who do not earn alot, they pay very little in income taxes so they are not as affected. This holds true when it comes to purchases. If you are at a stage in your life where you are not buying as much you are not as affected and our property taxes are not only lower, than average, they are frozen except for a few situations after 65.

I say this, because it was a concern to us when we decided to relocate here. We checked out the tax situation (a little worse actually) then now. We almost decided not to consider AR. Of course we are glad we did.

And yes, just our roads alone, are so much better than our neighbors to the west. We shutter everytime we have to cross into OK. Plus property is so much less here, that offsets the taxes. We could never have this house, even in NM we have here: certainly not in a comparable neighborhood.

Sales taxes and being taxed on everything is a pain, and yet other states are slowly but surely catching up with us.

Nita

Old 10-26-2009, 08:32 AM

1,703 posts, read 4,190,653 times
Quote:
I guess that is what we deserve since we keep electing Democrats for governors. I miss Huckabee.
Laughing hysterically.

Perhaps you are unaware or have forgotten that during Mr. Huckabee's reign in Arkansas, we had to pay a 'surcharge' on our income taxes. A tax on a tax! How much more ridiculous can you get?

Huckabee also refused to support the 'ax the food tax' movement.

He was as 'big tax' as you can get.

Under our current (Democrat) governor, sales tax on groceries has been cut in half. And there is no more 'surcharge' on income taxes. If you miss Huckabee, then you miss higher taxes -- because that's exactly what Huckabee brought us.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:50 AM

12,439 posts, read 5,776,239 times
I can't really tell if this tax calculation includes property tax? To me what is even more damning is not the tax percentage but per capita income. Arkansas is only behind West Virginia in the lowest per capita income in the union. This is what I have been preaching about for so long. We need higher paying jobs here and a more intelligent work force. I know the low wages probably do not bother the older retired set, but for those of us who work here it is a big problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas