U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 02:11 PM

227 posts, read 583,617 times
Default Dry Counties- fees, permits

I have a question about dry counties with restaurants.
You can still serve in a dry county cant you? Is there a special permit since its a dry county? Does anyone know what the fees are for liquor vs beer/wine? Here in MI they are different and didnt know if it was there.. We are looking at putting a restaurant in NW AR and want to know if it goes into Benton country what might be intailed with that. Anything else we need to know with putting a business in with a dry county?? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 02:21 PM

28,005 posts, read 10,391,663 times
Benton County is the wettest dry county I've ever heard of. Restaurants often do serve alcohol, under the umbrella of being a private club. You have to apply to the ABC, I don't know the fees involved. You should note that Fayetteville is in Washington County, and Washington County is not a dry county. Hence the county-line liquor stores.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:57 PM

47,264 posts, read 37,252,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needing more View Post
You can still serve in a dry county cant you? Is there a special permit since its a dry county? Does anyone know what the fees are for liquor vs beer/wine? Here in MI they are different and didnt know if it was there.. We are looking at putting a restaurant in NW AR and want to know if it goes into Benton country what might be intailed with that. Anything else we need to know with putting a business in with a dry county?? Thanks!!!
I am not sure of the requirements but yes, even in the dry counties which pretty much here is Benton, you can serve liquor, the establishment becomes a club or the patrons belong to the club. It is really a huge joke!!!! One of the very successful new eateries in Bentonville just got their license. I think they are just serving beer and wine, I am not sure...You probably can do just fine with just the beer and wine license as it seems that is what so many drink. I do agree you need something...I know, lots of tea drinkers only around here, but lots of us like our wine when we are eating out. Heck, I like mine when I am on the computer. I just tell everyone I am dyslexic, I think I am really enjoying the wine too much..

Old 11-05-2009, 03:17 PM

227 posts, read 583,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am not sure of the requirements but yes, even in the dry counties which pretty much here is Benton, you can serve liquor, the establishment becomes a club or the patrons belong to the club. It is really a huge joke!!!! One of the very successful new eateries in Bentonville just got their license. I think they are just serving beer and wine, I am not sure...You probably can do just fine with just the beer and wine license as it seems that is what so many drink. I do agree you need something...I know, lots of tea drinkers only around here, but lots of us like our wine when we are eating out. Heck, I like mine when I am on the computer. I just tell everyone I am dyslexic, I think I am really enjoying the wine too much..
You crack me up!!!

I hear about these "clubs".. yeah kinda a joke. We currently serve everything, but especially saki and Thai liquors,so this license would have to be something we think of. Do you know if we have to wait to apply after we open? or can we do it before? Anyone know the fee or requirements to become a "club"? Do you have the customers sign something to belong to the club first?

Just want to make sure I know everything thats involved first

Old 11-05-2009, 05:49 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,839,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needing more View Post
A dry county liquor permit is a rare and valued animal in a lot of this state. I know because I have one.

You have to take a one day class in Little Rock with the ABC (Alcohol Beverage Control), where basically, a guy will stand up there for about 6 hours, excluding a lunch break, and tells you how easy it is to lose your license.

Then you submit all the forms.....yes *all* the forms, with fingerprint cards, pay your money, wait for the background check, and if you're OK, and nobody challenges you, you get a permit.

This year the fee was $500. Next year it's going up to $1,500.

Then you spend $10.00 for the rule book, and study.

You have to have a sign-in book, a "sponser" present for guests or have a membership card system, submit drawings of where your book is located in relation to the entrance/bar. Have *all* patrons submit a complete address, and that is much tougher than you think, and be clear on all health department and ABC undercover visits.

ABC will hit you with fines every now and then if you aren't paying attention.

Too many violations, and you're out of business.

Can't tell you about Benton county particulars. I reckon my blood-stained boots would stick out up there.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:30 PM

47,264 posts, read 37,252,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
A dry county liquor permit is a rare and valued animal in a lot of this state. I know because I have one.

You have to take a one day class in Little Rock with the ABC (Alcohol Beverage Control), where basically, a guy will stand up there for about 6 hours, excluding a lunch break, and tells you how easy it is to lose your license.

Then you submit all the forms.....yes *all* the forms, with fingerprint cards, pay your money, wait for the background check, and if you're OK, and nobody challenges you, you get a permit.

This year the fee was $500. Next year it's going up to $1,500.

Then you spend $10.00 for the rule book, and study.

You have to have a sign-in book, a "sponser" present for guests or have a membership card system, submit drawings of where your book is located in relation to the entrance/bar. Have *all* patrons submit a complete address, and that is much tougher than you think, and be clear on all health department and ABC undercover visits.

ABC will hit you with fines every now and then if you aren't paying attention.

Too many violations, and you're out of business.

Can't tell you about Benton county particulars. I reckon my blood-stained boots would stick out up there.
Even $1500 is a hell of a lot cheaper than some states. How about thousands like NM..

Nita

Old 11-05-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Even $1500 is a hell of a lot cheaper than some states. How about thousands like NM..

Nita

Did you know that Little Rock has the highest mixed drink/cocktail taxes in the U.S.?

That was a little mention in the ABC class, but I'd already figured that one out during my quest for gay-bashing homophobic rednecks.

A few days/nights in LR, and the upside is there's a whole lot more "bonus points" on my mastercard.

You can guess the downside.

Deer hunting is cheaper.

Kinda.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:36 AM

777 posts, read 696,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
I reckon my blood-stained boots would stick out up there.
I hope you are talking about deer hunting.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
I hope you are talking about deer hunting.

Mainly squirrell.

I do the "tuxedo" skinning, and about 1/3 of the time nick the torso. Then, when you grab the back feet to peel it, it'll explode on ya. Doesn't really hurt anything, but you don't wear purty boots when you do it.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:38 AM

4,162 posts, read 5,452,489 times
Wow ok. Can we get back on topic of dry counties now?
thanks.

When in doubt read the TOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas