U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Where in SE Arkansas should a family of 4 live?
Monticello 2 50.00%
Star City 0 0%
Stuttgart 0 0%
Other 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 06:49 AM

15 posts, read 34,349 times
Default Move to Monticello, Star City, or Stuttgart?

My husband, children, and I are waiting to find out where we will be relocating and one of our two possibilities is in Southeast Arkansas. We have been looking at Monticello, Star City and Stuttgart online, but we haven't had a chance to visit yet and when we do visit it will be to buy a home. Can anyone tell us about these towns, what the schools are like (especially the elementary schools) or if there are any other towns we should look in to? Any information would be wonderful!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 07:36 AM

1,869 posts, read 2,468,145 times
I've been through both Monticello and Star City many times. I like the looks of Star City, but I happen to be a small-town lover. It's your typical small Southern town. (There is a cute cottage for sale on the main drag through town that I noticed on my last pass through, that would be so neat to buy and move out to the country on a piece of land!)

Monticello has the little college, and it's in the same type of countryside as Star City. It's bigger than SC, but it's still not huge. There are nice places outside of both that you could live in if you like a little space.

Never been to Stuttgart.

One thing you can do, if your computer is fast enough (go to the library if not), is get on Google and look them both up, them do street view and "drive" around! As a matter of fact, go to 142 Lincoln Ave., Star City, Arkansas....pan around and you should be right in front of the little house I was talking about!

None of these towns are big (well, not sure about Stuttgart, but don't think it is either). If you like small-town living, you should like them....if not, you'll hate it.

Oh, and I don't know anything about the schools, I've only driven through the places and can only tell you about what it looks like, sorry.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:55 AM

777 posts, read 729,359 times
I take it from your first post that you are going to visit each place before deciding, right? I suggest spending a couple of days at each town before deciding to buy a home. As for schools, you can do some research on-line. A better source might be to talk with people in those towns and find out how many (percentage) of their kids graduate and go on to get a college degree.

Good luck with the move!! Exciting times!

Old 11-10-2009, 09:05 AM

Thank you for the replies so far! I do like living in a small town, I just want one that has a strong sense of community and has opportunities to get involved and meet new people. I will be looking at the towns before we decide, I just want to know as much about them as I can before we arrive since we will have to make a decision fairly quickly. Thank you for your help!

Old 11-10-2009, 01:37 PM

5,194 posts, read 4,300,983 times
Please visit each place, and visit in August. Of the three I would pick Monticello. Pretty town, home to a state college, has enough things to keep you busy.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:52 PM

thanks, we can't visit in August, we have to move in the next 6 weeks...

Old 11-11-2009, 07:26 AM

Your best bet is Monticello, I think, for what you are wanting. You say you want a sense of community and things to get involved in, and the college would make that more probable, I think. Monticello is bigger than Star City and has more shopping, dining out, a movie theater, etc. (although, as I said before, it's still not really big!) The landscape around both is pretty much identical....rolling hills, woods, farms...pretty. I would discount Stuttgart altogether, as it appears to be in the flat, flat part of Arkansas. Some people like that, but I don't.

Both Monticello and Star City are a fairly short drive to Hot Springs for family vacations, also....a nice place. You would be close enough that you could go over just for long weekends, even. There is a LOT to do in Hot Springs for kids.

I think the poster who said to visit in August was saying that because they wanted you to be aware of the heat and humidity in the summer! But, as your three choices are all going to be hot and humid, there's nothing you can do about that....go swimming!

I hope you enjoy wherever you end up.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:41 AM

Thank you so much for your help...I am from NC originally and my husband is from TX, so we do know heat and humidity! We will start looking in Monticello...and I will start looking forward to a new place to vacation. You've made me feel better about the move, so thank you very much!

Old 11-11-2009, 09:57 AM

Wow, as far as vacations go, you would never have to leave the state of Arkansas, there is so much to discover (well, that is, if you love the outdoors....hiking, biking, canoeing, camping, etc.). The River Valley and the NW corner are absolutely crammed with outdoor things to do, and even in Monticello, you wouldn't be but, oh, 4 or 5 hours away from the furthest point of all of it. Hot Springs looks to be probably 2 hours away....I've never driven from Monticello to HS, just guessing by looking at the map. Others here may have a firmer idea of the time.

I know that from Monticello to our cabin in NW Arkansas is about 4-5 hours, depending on how much we stop.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:14 AM

We love doing things outside, so I think it will be great. We are currently living in the west-central part of NE so a 4-5 hour drive is pretty par for the course now. Thank you again! I really appreciate you answering my posts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas