Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 04:11 PM

99 posts, read 317,821 times

Advertisements

My wife and I live in Southern UT and we plan on moving to Tulsa within the next month or so. I like what I have read about Tulsa so far but I might have job offers in Fort Smith or Fayetteville also. We have never been to any of these cities. But thats ok because when we moved from San Diego to UT it was the first time I have been to UT. We are 40 and do not have children living with us. Since we grew up in San Diego we have had our share of big city living. We dont care if there isnt any big malls or much night life. The thought of tornados scares my wife but when I tell people we have lived thru over 20 earth quakes they think we are braver than the people living in the tornado states. We also have four dogs. My wife is a somewhat practicing Mormon. I am half.

Can anyone tell me the good, the bad and the ugly between these three cities.

I will be managing a restaurant and my wife will be working in an office or retail.

Thanks for the info...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 04:32 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,359,716 times
I know there is a good group of LDS people in the Fort Smith area and Fort Smith is the most conservative of the three areas.

If you want conservative, Fort Smith. If you want more entertainment, , Tulsa or Fayetteville.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:16 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Between those three? Fayetteville.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:32 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,483,682 times
I was in your same situation. I lived 27 years in Utah and moved to the Tulsa area 2 years ago. Prior to Utah I lived in California, so went through a few earthquakes myself. My husbands family lives close to Fort Smith. I think you would be fine in any area. We live in Owasso north of Tulsa and of course my vote would be for Tulsa or Fort Smith. I don't know much about Fayetteville. Any of the areas are somewhat conservative, much like Utah. The biggest difference I would say is here you are in the bible belt and many baptists. In Utah, as you know it is predominately mormon. So you are moving from one religious area to another. I think the people here are more religious however. You would be accepted in any place I think and plenty to do.
As far as tornadoes, I was concerned about that too. I have heard the siren go off here about 3 times. So far they have bypassed us. The weather is definitely different. You mentioned you had been through several earthquakes, so you know how you need to be prepared for disaster. It is no different here, just a different disaster could happen. We had the big ice storm of December 2007 right before I moved here, we were prepared, so it wasn't too bad.
Good luck!

When in doubt read the TOS.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashingsucks View Post
My wife and I live in Southern UT and we plan on moving to Tulsa within the next month or so. I like what I have read about Tulsa so far but I might have job offers in Fort Smith or Fayetteville also. We have never been to any of these cities. But thats ok because when we moved from San Diego to UT it was the first time I have been to UT. We are 40 and do not have children living with us. Since we grew up in San Diego we have had our share of big city living. We dont care if there isnt any big malls or much night life. The thought of tornados scares my wife but when I tell people we have lived thru over 20 earth quakes they think we are braver than the people living in the tornado states. We also have four dogs. My wife is a somewhat practicing Mormon. I am half.

Can anyone tell me the good, the bad and the ugly between these three cities.

I will be managing a restaurant and my wife will be working in an office or retail.

Thanks for the info...
there is no best or completely right answer but we choose NWA over NE Ok when we got ready to retire. There was just something about the area that was appealing. We love Fayetteville, the whole college atmosphere is delightful although we live in Bella Vista which is 45 minutes north.. The big difference between Tuslsa and Fayetteville is the size and city versus rural. Tulsa, though nothing like San Diego (we went to college in San Diego) is a big city. Fayetteville is still a small town but with most of the city conveniences.

If you wife is a Morman I don't know which way would be best for you. Tulsa probably has a better Morman church enviorment only because it is a larger city. Of course being a small college town you will find some very active LDS people in Fayetteville. In either case you may run into many traditional religions that will have trouble with Mormans, but most people in this part of the country are friendly and accepting. Ft Smith, though politically and in other ways is very conservative I also think it would be the city that would be the least open to people of the Morman faith. The city is very "Baptist" in their thinking. Of course, because of the college influence Fayetteville will not be as conservative.

Even though you will get those who do not always understand the views of other religions it doesn't have to be an issue. The one thing that surprised us when we moved here was the first question out of everyones mouth, welcome to AR, have you found a church family yet? It happened in the liquor store I will add. That being said, we haven't found anyone who has pushed it down our throats. From what I have heard this happens more in other parts of the state. You will see much of the same in Tulsa I think.

I wouldn't let the word "tornado" scare me too much. As you said, you survived the earthquakes. Yes, you will experience some winds, but rarely will you actually see a tornado in either place. The media sees more of them than we do. I guess they have better eye sight..
I would probably lean toward Fayetteville, because NWA is so pretty but Tulsa is an up and coming city. You would be happy with either I think.

Nita

Last edited by nmnita; 12-02-2009 at 04:31 AM..

Old 12-02-2009, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
The one thing that surprised us when we moved here was the first question out of everyones mouth, welcome to AR, have you found a church family yet? It happened in the liquor store I will add. That being said, we haven't found anyone who has pushed it down our throats. From what I have heard this happens more in other parts of the state. You will see much of the same in Tulsa I think.

This is very true and it happens all the time in Tulsa. I was asked that very question in a job interview, "have you found a church yet" It really surprised me, as I came from Utah, which is very religious and was never asked that question there.

Quote:
I wouldn't let the word "tornado" scare me too much. As you said, you survived the earthquakes. Yes, you will experience some winds, but rarely will you actually see a tornado in either place. The media sees more of them than we do. I guess they have better eye sight..
I agree. All through the tornado season the news is always saying there is a "tornado alert". At first it worried me but in our area it never was as bad as they made it out to be. Don't get me wrong, it can happen, but I have never seen it yet.

NE Oklahoma is considerered "Green Country" but I will have to say that Arkansas has one up on the Tulsa area as far as beauty. It is very green also and the fall foilage is amazing. Since Utah is a much more dry, desert area, you will love all the green.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:45 AM

99 posts, read 317,821 times
Default yea

Thats because in Utah you are told which church your attending. I was somewhat raised Catholic but everyone around here thinks I am Mormon. After living here in Utah for about six months, someone came up to my wife and asked her some personal info about me to put into the church files and my wife said" you know my husband isnt Mormon?"They said really ? But he helped cook the Christmas church dinner for us and before that he put together the spook alley in the church for the kids. My wife answered "hes just a nice helpful person he doesnt care what religion you are or race or anything like that as long as your nice to him he will help you out even though he works a lot he will try to fit it in.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:10 PM

I might add.............very humid here. It will be very different from what you experienced in Utah. No doubt it is hot in Utah, but something has to be said about the "dry heat" . Here I feel like taking 3 or 4 showers a day.
Another good thing. Hair and nails grow very well in humidity. No more chipped nails and hair breaking off at the ends.

People are very helpful, courteous and friendly in Tulsa and Fort Smith. I am assuming in Fayetteville as well. No road rage either, unlike Utah.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:13 AM

1,205 posts, read 2,689,690 times
I don't know the numbers but there are certainly Mormons in Fort Smith. I can think of a few I know that you couldn't pay to leave. Fort Smith is not the most tolerant place but come on, Mormon. I've never had any issues with being Buddhist or an atheist.
Since night life is not an issue then it really doesn't matter that Fort Smith has the least in this instance. Although after just getting back from Portland all three areas seem pretty tame.
I've never seen a tornado but I just spent a week in Oregon and didn't see any rain so maybe it's just me
As far as jobs this whole region seems to be one of the best places in the US to be right now.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:52 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
I would probably say Fayetteville, but you seem like a nice person so I am hoping you move to Fort Smith. God knows we need some more nice people here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas