Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 04:29 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,265,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
I'm a native too. I didn't realize we were rare here.
I think most Arkansans ARE natives, they just aren't on this forum!

I'm always interested in the how and why of questions such as the OP's. Of course you want to "fit in" wherever you are. Unless you move to Possum Grape or Cotton Plant or a town of 2000 people, I think you will be accepted provided you get involved in your community - towns of 30,000 or more will hardly notice you (unless your accent is off the charts, then we notice -you ain't from the South!), but that doesn't mean you won't be accepted. In the very, very small towns, it will take longer and you may forever be "that Chris person from up north" (meaning anywhere north of the Missouri state line....HA!)

I also believe you will get back what you put forth unless you run into the occasional meany that ruins your day. Unfortunately, we have not been able to extradite the meanies...it's a work in progress.

We moved to our small town (30K) about 7 years ago. The drawback is that, not being born here, I don't know everyone, their brother, who they married, and their entire life history....drives me nuts sometimes when someone says, "well, you know Cathy next door - well, that's Marsha's sister in law from up at Dover that lives next door to the Field place - her daddy was the minister at X church"....well, no, I don't know Cathy or Marsha or the Field place or the church - I barely know where Dover is....so you end up on the back side of the curve that way. The ones that are raised together will tend to stick together, but I think you find that more in more rural states - or in cities where there is a certain ethnic group that sort of has their own area - New York City is a prime example of that. There's a large Italian community, Asian community, etc. People tend to drift to like kind, that's human nature.

I always just figure someone's having a crappy day if they aren't nice...are people going to put their arms around you and throw you a pot luck? Probably not...but being shunned for being from Minnesota? I certainly would hope not, especially if you get involved in your community. It may take you longer to adapt because it is somewhat of a different culture, but when in Rome...

Example - we moved to the Caribbean, to St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands. I don't care if we stayed there the rest our lives, we weren't going to be "accepted". Tolerated, yes - welcomed to the bosom of the community, no...but we stuck out like a sore thumb since the population is primarily West Indian. It was fairly obvious that unless we came from a Danish family that had been there for generations, we were outsiders...and the islanders close camp on outsiders for a number of reasons, primarily that mainlanders come and go on a regular basis because they cannot or will not adapt to a culture they don't understand, but also because in spite of adaptation, the second you open your mouth it's obvious you aren't of Caribbean descent (and most people relocating there are white - a dead giveaway, lol!) - meaning you aren't West Indian, so you aren't a native, and must be there to take over the islands and push the Great American Way down their throats.

The WORST thing you can do is point out what you perceive to be a shortcoming in the state and saying, "well, where I come from..." We don't care how you did it where you came from. We don't know and don't care much about ice fishing or whatever it is that you're all about. Not to say you might not have a better mousetrap, but in any culture, in any state, that's just sort of a superior statement that can start the ball rolling downhill.

Accept the idiosyncracies of Southern life - accept that there are jerks and the close-minded everywhere - get involved in a church group, civic org, do some volunteer work, be seen, and smile a lot....you will be welcomed. But it WILL be different and you will need to go with the flow for the most part. If you're Type A and moving at a high rate of speed, it may not be the state for you.

Oh, and don't try to assume a Southern accent...we'll giggle when you leave the room! Be yourself - the rest will come with time - and enjoy this beautiful, slower paced state for what it is, a hidden, secret wonder...I'm consistently amazed when traveling at how many people really have no clue where Arkansas is...we're lost in the shuffle of the Deep South and midwest...it's a place that is being sought after now, though, because of the beauty of the place and the people.

You'll do fine - and welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 08:16 PM

23 posts, read 92,133 times
Some of the Southern Accent will come with time as well. You will find yourself saying "Y'all" within a year or two. Do not say "yall" fast, it sounds silly that way.

There is a distinct reason people are slow in the South... Its too darn hot to be fast most of the year. You will find the same thing in almost all hot climates across the globe. People in hot places move slower than those in cold places.

People in hot places also eat spicier foods. Arkansas food has more spice than Minnesota food & Louisiana food is spicier than Arkansas food.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:32 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynncj View Post
Hello,
I would like to know how I will be treated in Arkansas. I am from Eagan Minnesota. Please let me know.
Thanks!
Chris Flynn

You will be treated by how you act. If you come here and act stuck up and like you are better than the natives then of course they are going to treat you a little less than friendly. Yes, there are people here that are rude and stupid but they are few and far between. I'm sure the same can be said about every city and state in the nation.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:35 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasBreedz View Post
I am a native Arkie unlike most on this forum. How would I be treated in Ark? How do you treat others? You get what you put out.

Yippy for another native! Born and raised not 10 feet from where I am living now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas