U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2007, 07:37 AM

9 posts, read 36,383 times

Advertisements

Morning, I have been reading and absorbing information on where to move within the USA for over a year now, it has been an interesting journey indeed.
My husband and I are both natives of Florida (Please don't hold that against us, LOL)
My main concern was to "go back to the south" and I do believe your lovely state is where we want to be.
This is simply a compliment to all of you on this forum.
You are friendly, well informed and generous with the information.
My compliments to you.
Abigail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 08:54 AM

5,981 posts, read 15,816,517 times
Thanks, Abigail! And I do believe your type, although native Floridians, are just what we're looking for! It's a beautiful state, one many of us are very proud of - I never miss a chance to brag on Arkansas.....tell ya what, we won't hold you being from Florida against you if you won't hold Hillary against us....what a deal!

Old 05-18-2007, 01:42 PM

296 posts, read 1,129,802 times
Default Ya' mean don't hold Hill and Bill aginst us, rightum?

Wished Mike Huckabee had a chance at being the next Pres.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:55 PM

68,682 posts, read 78,692,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjoe View Post
Wished Mike Huckabee had a chance at being the next Pres.
Guess what? Whether we settle in OK or AR, I agree with that statement. We were very impressed with him on TV the other night and know how popular he was or is in AR. There is another possible choice though who hasn't announced yet in a state very close to AR. Keep your eyes and ears open. NMNita

Old 05-19-2007, 09:47 AM

Default Thank you, I think

Hi,
It is such a shame that Floridians are being thought of as "not such nice people"; those of us that have lived here forever are a bit flabbergasted, to be honest with you, that we are seen in such a bad light.
We are wanting to leave our state and go "back" to the south and Arkansas seems to be what we are looking for in that respect.
Since we are water people, meaning we sail in the Gulf of Mexico on a small sailboat, we were thinking NW Arkansas would be the best place to go.
As we are not going to be making the move for another few years my thought was to try to get to know a few people in your area prior to moving.
Any thoughts on how to do that would be appreciated..........
Have a good one,
Abigail in smoky Florida

Old 05-19-2007, 09:54 AM

Oh, Abigail, I was teasing you! I'm sorry, things don't translate well on the blue screen....guess I should have put a smiley or something after it! I don't care if you're from Pluto - we love people who love our state. My apologies for dry humor...you would have seen the twinkle in my eye if we'd been having coffee!

Well, let's see....age bracket or something? My son is an attorney and is on several chat sites for NW Arkansas - also, you might meet some folks on myspace if you're that age group.

My husband and I are in Russellville, which is sort of west central, about 80 mi. NW of Little Rock....have you picked a definite town yet, or still just poking around? We're old, though - 50's, lol! :-)

Old 05-19-2007, 10:34 AM

Default Did not take offense

Hi,
Seriously did not take any offense at what you said. My thought was "it is sad that Floridians are thought of as not such nice people."
My husband and I are still shocked by that...
What part of Arkansas, I was thinking Eureka Springs actually.
We will be visiting some time next year during the off season to see what it looks like.
Being from a very touristy state we already know what the tourists industry looks like during the busy season and it does not phase us at all.
Our age is close to yours, almost retirement but not wanting to stop being active.
A retirement community does not appeal to us at all nor do the restrictions that come along with that setting.
We are looking for an active community, all ages, intellectually stimulating, able to do some sailing, gardening that does require any attention and a good place for me to practice my love of photography.
A quiet active energetic small community is actually what we are looking to find and the area in the NW seems to fit us. Perhaps we will fit in there.
Thanks for the fast response, I live on the computer and appreciate it.
Have a good day, PS, what boards are you referring to and I have never been on myspace. Thought that was for the younger set...
Abigail

Old 05-19-2007, 11:30 AM

I'll have to ask kiddo - I don't know what he does, he's 29 - but I remember him saying he was on some. Myspace is a horrific waste of time to me, but I guess if you're self-involved it's a great place! I do think it's for people younger than we are....oooo, I do hate that phrase!

I think you would LOVE Eureka - very, very all-encompassing - most all of NW Arkansas is very diverse and there are lots of things to do. You aren't too terribly far from Fayetteville, which is becoming more culturally stimulating all the time. There are too many lakes and rivers to even name...

I think for what you have in mind that Eureka or NW Arkansas is your best bet. You might feel a little stifled in Mountain Home or Mountain View or some of the other smaller towns that are absolutely wonderful in their own right, but a much, much slower pace. Photography would be excellent in either area. I don't know if you're into photographing people or places, but there's a happy mixture of all of the above in Eureka. There are also wonderful old Victorian homes and a mix of artists and "hippy chicks" and plain old good ole boys.

Let me ask child about the NWA boards he posts to - it may be all "kids" his age, 30 and younger...

As for gardening that doesn't require attention....would that be a weed garden, lol??? We have LOTS of weeds!

Old 05-19-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Lovely weedds

Hi,

In response to my statement on "beautiful, no work garden". It is not just a Florida thing.

Go look up Native Plant Society on a search engine for Arkansas.

What I do is collect weeds that are pretty. Yup, ones with flowers, growing on the side of the road with no help at all. Surviving without any stimulation at all.

I bring them home and root them. Then plant them, baby them for just a short period of time and see what happens.

If they survive I make cuttings and voila, an instant garden with no work at all. (Sorta)

Annual haircuts is about all I do and I have a gorgeous no work garden.

To be honest in the beginning it does take work, I would say two years to get it started and then I left it alone.

Completely alone.

All kinds of gorgeous plants that are sold to the folks coming into the state thinking they have to buy plants, nope, they are weeds.

It is after all in the eyes of the beholder as to what a weed is.

Air plants down here are weeds to us.

To the visitor they are "miracles" that grow on the sides of trees...........

To us they are weeds that need no help to grow, we enjoy them but do not buy them.

OK, back to the chores of the day,

Have a good one,

PS, the younger people's sites would not be of any fun, I am more interested in folks closer to my age to communicate and get to know prior to coming up there to live.

A bit to blunt for the younger crowd.........LOL.........

Abigail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or