U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 04:55 PM

32,024 posts, read 17,287,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherjohnson View Post
But if I choose to live in a community of like-minded people, I don't expect to be demonized for it.
Careful about generalizing, those folks you think are "like-minded people" may not be as holy, moral, and upstanding as you would like to think! Everyone is human and we ALL have our idiosyncrasies. I have met many a married man from those "like-minded" communities with a gay slant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherjohnson View Post
And chris whining about Arkansas when in fact he could easily find willing young hairless lads to defile elsewhere. . .it just strikes me as sour grapes on his part. If that young man spent half the time sniffing out his one-eyed ambitions as he did telling us where he DIDN'T get lucky, he'd be a brokeback mountain rockstar by now.
If you can only equate love as insert tab A into slot B, then you are demonizing yourself.

A lot of people who are in both gay or straight LTRs find sex is not the only quality that makes a good relationship. Once you get past your horror/fascination with gay sex, you might come to realize somewhere in YOUR family there is a married uncle, aunt, or grandparent, who harbors a same-sex attraction.

BTW, I was wondering how long it would take you to use the "brokeback mountain" phrase. Cool, but a brokeback ROCKSTAR? How does a person who doesn't like Arkansas become a rockstar in your mind?

Bottom line, I agree, the OP should find a place where he is comfortable to live.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:18 PM

14 posts, read 48,149 times
Default What's the problem?

"I hate the state of Arkansas. The whole state is rural and because of size it lacks in entertainment, nightlife, shopping, quality food, etc. The state is not growing much, if at all mostly by retirees. Most people in the state have an anti-growth attitude because they are staunchly opposed to any kind of change that will mess up the "1950s utopia" that is Arkansas. Most young people with a college degree decide to move to Dallas or another city for better job opportunities. The state lacks quality nightlife and restaurants. The state revolves around a new Wal Mart opening or going to Chili’s for a “good” dining experience. I laugh at everybody who dresses up once per year to go to the Olive Garden thinking they are experiencing "fine dining". They have no idea what they are missing. The whole state completely shuts down for a Willie Nelson concert or a Univ of Arkansas home football game."

Sounds perfect to me. I don't see what the problem is. We (me, hubby, and 8-yr old son) are looking to relocate (from SE Indiana, about an hour away from Cincinnati), and we're curious about Arkansas. Now I think we'll check the state out more thoroughly! We're looking for some good old-fashioned values and peaceful rural living.
I don't go to fancy restaurants (who can afford that anyway? not us!) and I avoid cities as much as possible. I know I'm not missing anything at all.
And, I don't expect to come in to a new area and be accepted right away, or make the locals change their ways. We're trying to find a place that will suit us, not the other way around.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:17 PM

157 posts, read 447,815 times
BChris, way to get the ignorant rednecks licking their chops at the thought of moving to Arkansas. Just makes the state worse.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:41 PM

Location: Southern California native, last 20 yrs in Milwaukee Wisc.
1,145 posts, read 3,321,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
I suspect, btw, that most of those who rail against gays are, in fact, closeted gays themselves. It's called projecting.
Actually, you suspect nothing of the sort. You are just using a dumb, unoriginal bit of psycho-babble in an attempt to shut down an opinion you don't like.
Unfortunately for you, I understand liberal thinking and tactics, all too well.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:39 PM

12,439 posts, read 9,962,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridicter View Post
BChris, way to get the ignorant rednecks licking their chops at the thought of moving to Arkansas. Just makes the state worse.
I was thinking the very same thing.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:20 PM

157 posts, read 447,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
Actually, you suspect nothing of the sort. You are just using a dumb, unoriginal bit of psycho-babble in an attempt to shut down an opinion you don't like.
Unfortunately for you, I understand liberal thinking and tactics, all too well.

Actually, it's been scientifically verified that those who are the most homophobic often have repressed homosexual tendencies. I tried googling an old study but I could not find it. Here's the video on the study (this particular one has Spanish subtitles): http://bit.ly/7BiXWR

Not surprising in the least. See Mark Foley,Ted Haggard, Larry Craig, the Young Republicans National Chairman, etc: Link

Old 12-23-2009, 12:56 AM

4,292 posts, read 8,064,970 times
This thread is way off topic. The OP wasn't happy with Arkansas, that is evident. Many tried to give their opinions on why Arkansas is a very nice place to live. He doesn't live in the state now and I think his comments about the state have been discussed as much as they can be. If you want to discuss what states are southern, rural south, deep south,mid south etc, there have been threads started that debate this very issue, and you can post those comments there.

This thread is closed.

When in doubt read the TOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or