U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-13-2009, 04:17 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,527 posts, read 29,228,109 times
Reputation: 21263

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I hate the state of Arkansas. The whole state is rural and because of size it lacks in entertainment, nightlife, shopping, quality food, etc. The state is not growing much, if at all mostly by retirees. Most people in the state have an anti-growth attitude because they are staunchly opposed to any kind of change that will mess up the "1950s utopia" that is Arkansas. Most young people with a college degree decide to move to Dallas or another city for better job opportunities. The state lacks quality nightlife and restaurants. The state revolves around a new Wal Mart opening or going to Chili’s for a “good” dining experience. I laugh at everybody who dresses up once per year to go to the Olive Garden thinking they are experiencing "fine dining". They have no idea what they are missing. The whole state completely shuts down for a Willie Nelson concert or a Univ of Arkansas home football game. Also, the transit sucks, impossible to live without a car. Also, the crime rates, education rankings and poverty rankings are extremely high. Arkansas ranks in the top 10% of all three in those categories. If you need a breath of urban air, its hard to find as the only city anywhere near Arkansas is Memphis and that isn't that great of place. To experience a real city the nearest places are Dallas and Kansas City which are a major drive.

In addition, the state is dominated by extreme fundamentalist Baptists and Pentecostals who use the force of law to force their "good Christian morals" on the mass population, and most of the population is supportive of it. In Arkansas there is a warped view of what "Christian morals" are to include war, guns, and hatred of anybody who isn't white, protestant, heterosexual, has a southern accent, and born and raised in Arkansas. Most of the state is dry except for the larger towns. Extreme homophobia is a way of life and if you are gay you are pretty much ostracized from society. Chances are high your car or home will be vandalized, you will be physically threatened, or even fired from your job (as I was). Even if you are straight but don't live up to the macho Southern male stereotype you will be looked down on. Getting jobs in Arkansas largely depend on networking which is usually done through your local Baptist church. If you are not a "good Christian" as in you aren't involved in church every time the door is open and involved in its outreach ministries, it will be harder to find employment. Leaving Arkansas was the best thing that ever happened to me, Charlotte is one trillion times better than anything in Arkansas.
Whatever floats your boat, dude. There are people living in Charlotte chomping at the bit to get out of the rat-race and move out to the sticks of Arkansas.

The beauty of life is that we are all different.

Personally, there are moments when I long for a little more cosmopolitan environment myself (I live in SW MO, about 14 miles from the Arkansas line). So I pack my butt up to Springfield. It doesn't take long for the "fun and excitement" of the big city to wane, and I am more than happy to return to the peace and quite of my humble country abode.

You sound very young. Young people long for stimulation. It is nature's way. Once you have seen it all, done it all and decided that most of it was overrated, you will look at life differently.

20yrsinBranson

 
Old 12-13-2009, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 14,597,380 times
Reputation: 4457
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpenny View Post
You are wrong on some levels but correct on others, in the rural parts of the state it is racist and full of low IQ hillbillies that push a fundamentalist agenda that they do not understand and then you have the KKK in parts of the state. Little Rock and Hot Springs along with the North West and Eureka springs are liberal and lots to do and see. It is beautiful there and they are very tolerant or at least most of those who live there. Outside of these places are a bit more inbreed and uneducated.
I got fired because of my sexual orientation in Little Rock, not in Fort Smith, Harrison, or any other podunk part of the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
I really don't know what your problem is, bchris, but sadly for you, you're one of those people who aren't going to be happy anywhere. You're a miserable person, and I feel sorry for you.

Oh, by the way, I went dancing at Disco the other night. It was their 30th anniversary! Such fun. Too bad you can't do anything like that in Charlotte.
Little Rock is very lucky to have Norman Jones, former owner of Miss Gay USA running its clubs. Though I do miss the Backstreet/Discovery complex (you are right, there is nothing like it in Charlotte), I have more fun at the bars here in Charlotte because people aren't as closed off and cliquish. Arkansans as a whole don't seem to embrace outsiders as well as in other states, even in the larger towns. I walk into a bar here and immediately meet a bunch of new people, when I walked into Backstreet alone people stared at me like a deer in headlights.
 
Old 12-13-2009, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,462,259 times
Reputation: 4036
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
So I pack my butt up to Springfield. It doesn't take long for the "fun and excitement" of the big city to wane, and I am more than happy to return to the peace and quite of my humble country abode.
Sorry, but I had to chuckle at the idea of Springfield being a big city.

Personally, I think some of the OPs criticisms are spot-on. Still, as many others have pointed out, it's time to move on.
 
Old 12-13-2009, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 14,597,380 times
Reputation: 4457
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Sorry, but I had to chuckle at the idea of Springfield being a big city.
Springfield isn't even the size of Little Rock, or even NWA for that matter. Missouri has two "big cities" and Springfield isn't one of them. If Springfield is too fast paced for you, then you might just be a good fit for Arkansas.
 
Old 12-13-2009, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
8,998 posts, read 12,759,851 times
Reputation: 3536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Arkansas is Republican? How did the Clinton's not only do well... they thrived.

Vice President Cheney, the quintessential Republican, supports Gay Marriage...

Cheney backs gay marriage, calls it a state issue - Politics- msnbc.com
A Democrat here is not the same as say a Democrat from Massachusetts or California.

In any case, Cheney is but ONE Republican. Huckabee is a very homophobic Republican just as most Republicans are not the most open-minded people in the world when it comes to gay and lesbian issues.

This is pretty much a useless thread because anyone with a functioning IQ knows Arkansas is not the best place to live if you're a gay and lesbian person.
 
Old 12-13-2009, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,462,259 times
Reputation: 4036
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

In any case, Cheney is but ONE Republican.
It should also be noted that Cheney has a personal reason for the position he holds. Funny how that works.
 
Old 12-13-2009, 07:58 PM
 
Location: East Tennessee and Atlanta
3,020 posts, read 8,265,617 times
Reputation: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I hate the state of Arkansas. The whole state is rural and because of size it lacks in entertainment, nightlife, shopping, quality food, etc. The state is not growing much, if at all mostly by retirees. Most people in the state have an anti-growth attitude because they are staunchly opposed to any kind of change that will mess up the "1950s utopia" that is Arkansas. Most young people with a college degree decide to move to Dallas or another city for better job opportunities. The state lacks quality nightlife and restaurants. The state revolves around a new Wal Mart opening or going to Chili’s for a “good” dining experience. I laugh at everybody who dresses up once per year to go to the Olive Garden thinking they are experiencing "fine dining". They have no idea what they are missing. The whole state completely shuts down for a Willie Nelson concert or a Univ of Arkansas home football game. Also, the transit sucks, impossible to live without a car. Also, the crime rates, education rankings and poverty rankings are extremely high. Arkansas ranks in the top 10% of all three in those categories. If you need a breath of urban air, its hard to find as the only city anywhere near Arkansas is Memphis and that isn't that great of place. To experience a real city the nearest places are Dallas and Kansas City which are a major drive.

In addition, the state is dominated by extreme fundamentalist Baptists and Pentecostals who use the force of law to force their "good Christian morals" on the mass population, and most of the population is supportive of it. In Arkansas there is a warped view of what "Christian morals" are to include war, guns, and hatred of anybody who isn't white, protestant, heterosexual, has a southern accent, and born and raised in Arkansas. Most of the state is dry except for the larger towns. Extreme homophobia is a way of life and if you are gay you are pretty much ostracized from society. Chances are high your car or home will be vandalized, you will be physically threatened, or even fired from your job (as I was). Even if you are straight but don't live up to the macho Southern male stereotype you will be looked down on. Getting jobs in Arkansas largely depend on networking which is usually done through your local Baptist church. If you are not a "good Christian" as in you aren't involved in church every time the door is open and involved in its outreach ministries, it will be harder to find employment. Leaving Arkansas was the best thing that ever happened to me, Charlotte is one trillion times better than anything in Arkansas.
Sounds a lot like many parts of the south central, and south east US. I grew up in Tennessee, and you hit the nail on the head regarding that area--although that was the mid to late 80s when I was back there.

Although I do realize the entire state of Arkansas cannot be categorized into these stereotypes, by and large, you are probably more accurate than is "politically correct" or is what people from there would admit. It's a "behind closed doors" and "in cliques and groups whispers" thing.

So, definitely congratulations for leaving such a place that is not right for you--and many others for that matter. Hopefully as generations grow and are educated, these places too will slowly change and become more open.
 
Old 12-13-2009, 08:59 PM
 
25,800 posts, read 49,685,561 times
Reputation: 19243
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
A Democrat here is not the same as say a Democrat from Massachusetts or California.

In any case, Cheney is but ONE Republican. Huckabee is a very homophobic Republican just as most Republicans are not the most open-minded people in the world when it comes to gay and lesbian issues.

This is pretty much a useless thread because anyone with a functioning IQ knows Arkansas is not the best place to live if you're a gay and lesbian person.
I live in the SF Bay Area and the only people I know with Arkansas roots live here now or returned to Arkansas when they retired after years of working in CA.

Actually, several I have worked with packed everything, sold the their Bay Area homes and returned to Arkansas and Alabama... so far they all think it was the right decision for them... maybe this is why I've never picked up any negative feelings towards the place.

Lucky for them they all retired and sold several years ago and were able to go back home and pay cash for their new homes and still have a couple 100k in the bank...

I do understand that California is different from the rest of the country and maybe San Francisco more so...
 
Old 12-13-2009, 09:02 PM
 
25,800 posts, read 49,685,561 times
Reputation: 19243
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
It should also be noted that Cheney has a personal reason for the position he holds. Funny how that works.
I only mentioned Cheney because he is so bitterly reviled by most everyone I know as the worst of the worst Republican and for what every reason he can support gay marriage.
 
Old 12-13-2009, 09:42 PM
 
946 posts, read 2,153,691 times
Reputation: 481
To be filed under the "it could be anywhere but it happened to be Arkansas" file--

My former superintendent of an Alaskan school district was very religious, made the staff (allegedly, an investigation was performed and turned up BS as all do when they have to fly to a remote site) say prayers before a teachers' meeting, etc. And turned out her husband was cheating on her with other men. I mention this because they were hard core Baptists, and did show/with hold favoritism based on teachers' willingness to follow their religious lead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top