Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 12:59 PM

837 posts, read 2,248,257 times

Advertisements

Believe me, there are plenty of fabulous restaurants in Little Rock, and I'm sure there are in NW Arkansas as well. Shops, too. Apparently, and unfortunately, bchris hung out with people who frequented Chili's, the Olive Garden, and Walmart and he thinks everybody else does too.

Like I said, sad.

Last edited by jenni-b; 12-14-2009 at 01:22 PM..

Old 12-14-2009, 01:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
Believe me, there are plenty of fabulous restaurants in Little Rock, and I'm sure there are in NW Arkansas as well. Shops, too. Unfortunately bchris hung out with people who frequented Chili's, the Olive Garden, and Walmart and he thinks everybody else does too.

Like I said, sad.
Jenni, you are right, we have several very good, non chain restaurants here in NWA as well as upscale chains like Ruths Chris...For those who like Habachi sytle asian dining we have a couple of Shoguns for starters. Yes, we have botiques as well as Dillards, etc. No, we don't have as many choices as huge metro areas, but we have enough. Why does one need 10 top steak houses to choose from when three or four will have about every food choice one could hope to find?

Some people live with chips on their shoulders and nothing will knock those chips off. These people will never be completely satisfied and that is so sad.

Nita

Old 12-14-2009, 02:15 PM

529 posts, read 1,650,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Jenni, you are right, we have several very good, non chain restaurants here in NWA as well as upscale chains like Ruths Chris...For those who like Habachi sytle asian dining we have a couple of Shoguns for starters. Yes, we have botiques as well as Dillards, etc. No, we don't have as many choices as huge metro areas, but we have enough. Why does one need 10 top steak houses to choose from when three or four will have about every food choice one could hope to find?

Some people live with chips on their shoulders and nothing will knock those chips off. These people will never be completely satisfied and that is so sad.

Nita
Eh, Benihana is better than Shogun so I wouldn't list that as a good non-chain restaurant. Ruth Chris is also the best steak in NWA (or least IMO). However, there are other fantastic non-chain restaurants in the area though. Too many to list.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:26 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelw View Post
Eh, Benihana is better than Shogun so I wouldn't list that as a good non-chain restaurant. Ruth Chris is also the best steak in NWA (or least IMO). However, there are other fantastic non-chain restaurants in the area though. Too many to list.
opinion my friend, opinion. Food is subjective. I haven't been to Benihanas for maybe 20 years, I do like Shoguns, the one in Fayetteville. The one is Bentonville or Rogers, whatever, isn't as good. again, my opinion. The same with PF Changs, (I think) we love it, some think it is overpriced and some think it is not good Asian food...

Nita

Old 12-14-2009, 02:35 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Sexual orientation is not a protected status under the Equal Employment Opportunity Act.
It may still be protected if the employee manual says as much. Increasingly, I've come across employer policies that do have such protections.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:24 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It may still be protected if the employee manual says as much. Increasingly, I've come across employer policies that do have such protections.
That is true, as there may be local/state laws that bar employment discrimination based on sexual orientation. I was responding, however, to a poster who indicated that the OP should've filed a complaint with the EEOC. This would've gotten the OP nowhere, however, as the EEOC enforces the EEOA, not state or local laws.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:43 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,185 times
I used to work with people who liked to eat take out from Olive Garden for lunch, they seemed to like it but I don't think they thought it was fine dining.
The Shogun in Bentonville is weird looking.
I think the public transit system in Fort Smith is actually pretty good for a town of it's size. I just stayed next to the transit station in Portland. I was thinking something like a little grand central station but it was a parking lot with schedule/route signs where most of the buses all stop, basically what they are planning to do in Fort Smith If I'm not mistaken.
I'm not sure how extensive the transit system/s are in the towns to the north.

Last edited by ArkansasTgirl; 12-14-2009 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: removed a redundant word

Old 12-14-2009, 04:15 PM

529 posts, read 1,650,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
opinion my friend, opinion. Food is subjective. I haven't been to Benihanas for maybe 20 years, I do like Shoguns, the one in Fayetteville. The one is Bentonville or Rogers, whatever, isn't as good. again, my opinion. The same with PF Changs, (I think) we love it, some think it is overpriced and some think it is not good Asian food...

Nita
Maybe you're just speaking of the grill food because anyone that likes sushi usually agrees that Shoguns is not that great. Wait a minute, I thought we were talking about local non-chain restaurants? Wait a minute, how did we get into a restaurant discussion in the first place? I hope bchris is getting taste bud overload in NC since all the restaurants in AR are Chilis and Olive Garden.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:48 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I worked for the State of Arkansas, which had strong anti-gay policies, as much as to include "don't ask don't tell" in their code of ethics. I never talked about such at work, but one time me and my ex went into a restaurant and my boss happened to be in there. Two weeks later I was fired. The reason I was given is that I wasn't a good fit for the position. They didn't give me anything specific that I had done to deserve termination, except for a slight reference to some stuff that happened back in early July (my termination was in September). To be fired at that point in time was for no other reason than because my boss saw me at that restaurant with my ex-boyfriend.

Even if sexual orientation was listed, if my boss was homophobic he could find a way to fire me. Things that most people would get a pass for as honest mistakes would be much more serious offenses for me. My boss was very homophobic because when I overheard a discussion of the possible Obama Employment Equality Act, I heard him say "I don't care what the law says, if one of my employees was a ***, I would fire him on the spot".

Old 12-14-2009, 05:06 PM

938 posts, read 3,505,260 times
I have a fair amount of travel under my belt, and the Boston Mountains in northern Arkansas (more specifically - the Buffalo National River) is probably the closest thing to heaven on Earth that I've found.

Then again, I don't know/care what the people are like, I love the scenery. All of the people I have interacted with in Arkansas have been friendly, despite my obvious lack of anything resembling a Southern accent. Too bad it is a 6 hour drive from St. Louis, or I'd spend many more weekends in the Natural State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas